HugZ and purrayers, Snakemama, for you and Freddie.

I'm not a doctor or an expert on health, but I've had my fair share of troubles with my health and my kitties health. So I have some opinion and perspectives to share.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
Bad news from the vet, three pieces of it...

1) Freddie has a grade 2 heart murmur.
IMHO, this seems to be the diagnosis of the day. Two of my cats have one. I have one, although some docs don't seem to sure about this. I don't see how a doctor can hear Spunky's heart with the way he purrs the entire vet visit.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama
2) Freddie has such bad gingivitis that my vet is concerned that he may have stomatitis. His mouth is NASTY.
I'm sure that good food and distilled water will precent any further problems.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama
3) The vet does suspect a third underlying problem because his bladder was FULL of VERY dilute urine.
It never hurts to check out the situation just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
We pulled blood and urine, and the results should be back no later than Tuesday(Darn holiday weekend!!). I'll keep everyone here up to date.
Please do. I'll be thinking of you.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama
I have to say that I'm crushed. I am not the type to shy away from vet bills, but it's looking like it'll be over $1,000 just to get him healthy, and then if he DOES have stomatitis or renal failure, we could be dealing with it for the rest of his life. I'm really afraid of what the bloodwork is going to show. I've been crying off and on since I got home, though Freddie doesn't seem worried: he's got a plate of wet food that he is plowing through quite happily. Part of me says...he's only been here a few days, these problems existed before I got him, send him back....but the other part of me loves him already and knows that his odds of getting adopted again with all of these health issues are slim.

The current plan is to wait on the bloodwork...if the bloodwork is good we'll do a chest X-ray to make certain that he's healthy enough to be anesthetized even with the heart murmur. If he is, we take care of the teeth and go from there.
Praying for the best. I don't know what I would do if one of mine got seriously ill at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama

Now I'm crying again because he won't come near me anymore and I don't know what to do. I think I'm going to go out for ice cream now.
He will learn to trust you again. Praying he gets that chance.