Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Causes of vomiting?

Causes of vomiting?

Is it normal for young dogs to vomit sometimes? This seems to happen with Clover at least once a week or 2 weeks since she got spayed. She was never sick before that, and you might remember how sick she got the day after I got her home from the vet after her spay.

She usually wakes up through the night and throws up a tiny bit, and is fine. Last night she threw up about 10 times and the vet said she probably got into something and just not let her chew on anything (I wish it were that easy....) The last bit she threw up there was a bit of bone in it, she was fine after that came up.

My last Lab was sick a lot as a young pup, and after about 6 months she was fine. She could eat anything and never got sick.

I'm wondering if this is some what normal for a young dog? She chews a lot, mostly her toys. She rips parts off them. I take them from her and throw it out once it rips but I feel I can't take all her toys away it wouldn't be fair and she'd like find something else to chew.

It seems to me she just has a very sensitive stomach. Anything I can do for her? Anyone have a similar issue with their dog?

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

Mine do that occasionally, and it's usually because they've gobbled up a small piece of Bully Stick or another (slow digesting) whatever, that they think they'd rather not share. The restriction on the "chewables" sounds like good advice for a day or so. Just go with it's regular food and plenty of water.

I still allow the chewables, but, I make sure that I watch and pick up the smaller (swallowable) pieces, before they have a chance to swallow them whole.

If this last for more than a day or so, you can get some of their regular food, put it in a Blender with some warm water, and make them a "Soup" they can lap up. When it's thin like that, it can be absorbed better, and has a better chance of moving around a temporary restriction. This helps their nutrition while they're processing the item.
    Sneakers, Becca, Ichabod & NA'vi

Dogs know that you love them, whether you own them or not
    If you’re not watching FREE TV, you should be !

I wouldn't say it's normal. What kind of bones are you feeding her? Maybe she inhaled it too fast and got sick or it's too rich for her. If she is swallowing parts of her toys, that could be why too.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I think everyone has covered the possibilities.

Clover, you are being SUCH a doggie, lol!

This particular bone is called a tartar buster. I don't think I'll be getting them for her any more. I'm just having trouble finding good chews for her that she doesn't eat really quickly, doesn't break apart and she actually likes it.

Have you tried giving her a Kong? They are great to chew, as they are very sturdy, and don't easily break apart ...
    I've Been Frosted

Yeah. She likes it so long as something is in it. I've tried freezing PB to make it last longer but I think that upsets her belly too. I'm thinking of trying canned food in it, but when I mix it in with her food occasionally she gets the runs from that. Sometimes sick.

I have this same problem with Brennan. If he doesn't have something to chew, he destroys stuff (like eating half a flip flop ) then he of course vomits that back up. It's hard to find stuff for them to chew that lasts long (he can eat any kind of chew in an hour or less usually!)...

Someone told me to try bully sticks, they are supposed to last longer and are supposed to be very safe. Maybe you could try those for Clover?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Bully Sticks are what I use, and both like them. BUT, like I said, I pick the little pieces up when they become less than 2", or mine will swallow them.

I've found that it's cheaper to buy them "bulk", and get mine from dog.com by the bag.
    (hope it's ok to say that ?)

Aren't they (bully strips) the same as pizzles? They're pretty thin and expensive. If it's the same thing I'm thinking of they don't last long at all with Clover. Maybe there is a bigger version I haven't seen though.

Bully sticks are good but usually don't last long for big chewers. The big black kongs are very durable. So are Galileo bones! I would get the biggest one you can find. They are safe too. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750577

Quote Originally Posted by luvofallhorses View Post
    Bully sticks are good but usually don't last long for big chewers. The big black kongs are very durable. So are Galileo bones! I would get the biggest one you can find. They are safe too. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750577
    For some reason she doesn't like that material. I have a normal nylabone she won't touch, even after leaving it in broth over night. She seems to like things she can bite off...of course the ones that don't last long

Well you can give a chance to to the Galileo bone. My dogs love the nylabones.

My two seem to like the Bullies, so, I haven't tried searching around for anything else. Also, I have Yorkies (8 lb F & 13 lb M) so the consumption rate is not possibly as great as another household.

Artica is a gobbler when it comes to chews. I actually give her prosciutto bones. I get them at the pet store here for €1,50 each. They are basically smoked ham bones. She is mad for them and one will last her a few days. I usually cut them in half & once she gets all the meat off and the all the marrow out. And I see the bone is getting weak then I chuck what is left of it and she can have a new one.

I found something similar when I searched the PetSmart site link that Krista provided.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4358697

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4290901

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4327954

Maybe some of these could work for Clover.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica