Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oreo is recovering from cruciate ligament surgery

Oreo is recovering from cruciate ligament surgery

On Oreo's 10th birthday, we took her to the dog park to play. She was playing chase like normal and then just stopped and held up her back leg. She hasn't had any knee issues before, so we rushed her to the Dr. It turns out that she ruptured her cruciate ligament. That was not a good birthday present for my poor girl!

She had surgery to repair the ligament and trim up the torn meniscus on last Friday. She has pain meds and is doing a little better each day. She's figuring out how to move around/go to the bathroom with the huge bandage.

But, she has to stay confined in one room with strict rest for 10 weeks! She can start short leashed walks after 2-3 weeks, but no running or jumping. This is going to be very tough for my wild girl!

I'll post updates when I can. Please keep Oreo in your prayers for an easy and complete recovery.
    Oreo and Molly

Oh my goodness! Poor Oreo. I know how difficult it can be to keep an active animal restricted. And 10 weeks!!

I'm sorry this happened to her and on her birthday of all days. I hope she heals up nicely so she can be the active "young" lady she is.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Oh No WoW Oreo.. Such a horrible painfull injury.. Hope your doing much better.. Now stay on the pain meds & do what doggie mom tells you to do & you will be better real soon.. No running or jumping ok.. Update Later ok..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Poor Oreo! Ten weeks is practically furrrever for a busy girl! But Oreo, just think, if you are really, really good, it will heal faster, okay? And in the middle of those ten weeks is Christmas, so maybe Santa will give you extra goodies if you are extra good?

Poor Oreo. My Lacey had cruciate ligament surgery on both of her back knees. Oreo will make it throught the down time, you'll see. Many prayers for her.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thank you all for your well wishes. I can tell that Oreo's Fentanyl patch is wearing off now--she's becoming more uncomfortable. We're starting another pain med now to compensate. It makes me so sad to see her hurting!

chocolatepuppy, I'm curious about Lacey's experience. I sent you a PM with some questions, if you have a chance to share. Thanks!
    Oreo and Molly

Poor Oreo! Lots of prayers and healing vibes sent.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Prayers for no owies for Oreo!

Can she not stay on the patches for a while?

Get well soon, little one!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oh, Oreo, I hope you feel bette soon! Poor baby....what an unhappy birthday for you. You are still young and I am praying you recover well. Stay strong sweetie! We are thinking about you and your human family!

"The dog represents all that is best in man." Etienne Charlet

www.rornfp.org

My RB Cody had the same surgery..on both knees...a few months apart. He ruptured his left knee from favoring it because his right knee went first

He was always stoic and never complained. But he was pretty uncomfortable with his surgeries. After a few days, he was much better so I decreased the pain meds until he needed none at all.

We kept him in our downstairs family room, where we all congregated so he wasn't alone, since he always wanted to be with us. A back door was there (yay) with no steps. We baby gated the steps going upstairs but he pretty much understood and just laid on his blankets. I used a newspaper plastic bag to cover his leg so it wouldn't get wet, or his foot dirty.

I know..10 weeks seems like an eternity. I felt worse for Cody than myself, since he couldn't have his walkies or tennis ball fun outside. But he was a wonderful patient. Since he couldn't hang out in the kitchen (my bad), he lost around 25 pounds which was awesome. I also cut his portions since he was inactive. I also slept with him.

Oreo will be fine. Just be very careful afterwards. He'll want to run and play more than likely, so you have to be very careful. Cody never had any problems afterwards (with the knees)

Kisses and hugs to everyone!

I've been Boooo'd!

Oreo had her bandage off on last Friday. It was actually a splint, which I didn't realize. She favored the "naked" leg for a few days, but she is starting to put weight on it now. She actually takes a few steps on it when she goes outside to the bathroom.

I can tell that she's starting to feel better now--Now the real hard part starts: keeping her quiet! Each evening, she wants to play. It is nearly impossible to keep her from dancing around. I'm so scared that she's going to "undo" the surgery or hurt the other knee. I'm taking it one day at a time.

She'll get her stiches out on Saturday, and I'll ask about a referral to swim therapy then. Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts.
    Oreo and Molly

Just wondered how Oreo was doing now. I hope she's feeling better
    day by day. My dog Buddy also had this surgery on both back legs.
    I know how you feel in that "in-between" time when you watch them
    like hawks so as to not cause a setback in healing. (((Hugs))) Oreo.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Glad to hear she's feeling well after surgery. Hope it heals up quickly!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Update after PT

It has been 3 weeks since the surgery, and Oreo is now allowed to take 5-10 minute leashed walks. She is so happy to get out of the house and into her neighborhood again! She sniffs every inch of our walk!

On Saturday, she had her first physical therapy session. She walked on an underwater treadmill. It's pretty cool--they fill it up with warm water about halfway up her body, and then the treadmill moves so she's at a slow walk. It's supposed to reduce the weight and stress so that she can walk better. Next week, she'll do the treadmill for 15 min. and then swim in a pool for 15 min. This should really help her regain her muscle--her thigh is so skinny right now!

Thanks for your continued thoughts.
    Oreo and Molly

Just a little update about Oreo. . .

We've reached the halfway mark--5 weeks. Hooray! In another 5 weeks, she'll be off restricted activity.

She's gone to two more PT sessions, this time swimming in the pool instead of using the treadmill. She loves the swimming, and it's helping her walk on land. She's walking much faster and using the leg much more.

Next, we're supposed to practice stairs--one at a time, of course, which is a new concept for her!
    Oreo and Molly