Thread: Swimming dogs: A tragic ending & a warning.

Swimming dogs: A tragic ending & a warning.

This was posted on one of my Michigan agility lists. I thought it would benefical for people here to read and become aware of.

Please, PLEASE pass this around. Happened here in MI. Sue who has taken Bruja swimming before...

On Monday, June 25, 2007 I took my healthy 9 month old Border Collie
    Vita swimming at approximately 6:30 p.m. Vita and two other BC
    spent about an hour and a half diving off the dock, chasing the Water Kong, and running
    around. The temperature that day was just over 90 degrees, but none of the dogs
    looked particularly winded or hot.

Vita emerged from the water and looked as if she was going to vomit.
    She threw up lake water three times. I wasnt particularly concerned as she took in a lot of water from retrieving and swimming so much and had seen other dogs do that in the past without complications.

After the third time throwing up, she lay down and closed her eyes.
    Her tongue was hanging out of her mouth and I began to suspect she may have
    heat stroke. I immediately placed ice on her stomach and checked ! her gums.
    They were=pink. I took her temperature which was 101.9, still normal. I then
    called my Vet who said these conditions did not indicate heat stroke and said I
    needed to get emergency medical attention right away.

Vita was not responsive and when I picked her up to put her in the car
    she was limp and her eyes were still closed. Her breathing was slow and
    her heart was racing. I arrived at the emergency clinic only a half hour from
    the time she showed signs of distress. The ER Vet asked me what sorts of things
    Vita had been doing all day. I explained that she was crated as I was gone
    for the latter part of the afternoon and that upon coming home, the only other
    place she went was to the lake.

Vita eyes were fixed and dilated and the Vet suggested there was already brain damage. After administering an IV and oxygen, the Vet called me in and said Vita was not responding and that it appeared that she was suffering from some kind of toxic poisoning. Her heart rate was 200. He mentioned that he had recently seen a couple of dogs who died from Blue Green Algae Toxicity.

I=told him that the lake had what appeared to be algae blooms on the surface of the water. Neither of the other two dogs showed any of the signs that
    Vita had and that neither dog took in as much water as Vita apparently did. We
    decided=to put her on a ventilator overnight and give her a "chance" to pull
    through.

When I got home I did a Dogpile.com search of "Blue Green Algae
    Toxicity in Dogs" and found some very disturbing information.

-Blooms can occur at any time, but most often occur in late summer or
    early fall. They can occur in marine, estuarine, and fresh waters, but the
    blooms of greatest concern are the ones that occur in fresh water, such as
    drinking water reservo! irs or recreational waters.

-Some cyanobacterial blooms can look like foam, scum, or mats on the
    surface=of fresh water lakes and ponds. The blooms can be blue, bright green,
    brown, or red and may look like paint floating on the water. Some blooms may
    not affect the appearance of the water. As algae in a cyanobacterial bloom
    die, the water may smell bad.

-Swallowing water that has cyanobacterial toxins in it can cause
    acute severe gastroenteritis (including diarrhea and vomiting

-Liver toxicity (i.e., increased serum levels of liver enzymes).
    Symptoms of=liver poisoning may takes hours or days to show up in people or
    animals Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting

-Kidney toxicity.=20

-Neurotoxicity. These symptoms can appear within 15 to 20 minutes
    after exposure. In dogs, the neurotoxins can cause salivation and other
    neurologic symptoms, including weakness, staggering, difficulty breathing,
    convulsions, and death. People may have numb lips, tingling fingers and toes, or they
    may feel dizzy.
    Vita had indeed exhibited salivation and signs of weakness, staggering,difficul ty breathing and vomiting.

At 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 I called the Vet and was told
    that they took Vita off the ventilator a couple of times during the night
    and that she=was not breathing on her own. I told him to discontinue the procedure
    and to let her go.

I called the DNR here in Michigan and was told that Blue Green Algae
    didn usually appear this time of year and I told the agent that the
    conditions were that of late summer in Michigan, very hot for the last two days and
    reminded him that Blue Green Algae can appear at any time. He told me not to
    panic or to alarm other people. I told him that had someone else panicked, we
    wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Later that morning I found out from a neighbor that her two young boys
    had vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps last week and her Doctor
    suggested she bring in a water sample. I do not know if she did or not.

I also talked to a woman from a neighboring county whose
    neighbors dog ingested a lot of water from a pond and died suddenly a couple weeks
    ago.

As of this writing, Wednesday, June 27th, I have not heard anything
    from Michigan State where I took Vita for a necropsy and toxoligical panel.

For the time being, I would strongly suggest you watch your dogs
    when swimming in small lakes and ponds as the potential threat of toxic
    poisoning from Blue Green Algae is prevalent. Had I known that algae of any kind was
    toxic, you can be sure my dogs wouldn=E2=80= 99t be swimming anywhere and that
    Vita, whose name quite ironically meant "life" in Latin, would be alive today.

Missing you more than you can imagine.
    May you rest in peace, Red Top Vita
    09/05/06 - 06/26/07

Bob Tatus

PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

K9Krazee,

Wow. There should be signs posted about the blue green algae. Thanks for posting this. I'm sure many pet owners have no idea of this particular toxicity. I know I didn't. Not that any of my cats would go near water, but it's good to know.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

RIP, Vita. How very sad. If I was used to taking my dogs swimming, I would have never given it a second thought either.

We (me, hubs, & and our animals)ate Super Blue-Green Algae daily for years. It is a very healthy food source. We traveled to Klamath Falls Oregon to the processing plant, and did learn that there is a "toxic bloom" each year when another bacteria shows up & that algae should NOT be harvested or ingested. Stuff to be harvested commercially is tested daily to be sure that none of the toxic energy get processes & sold.

sad thing to happen....... RIP Vita

one thing to be aware and that people should know about..... better safe than sorry....... at least people should be warned beforehand

thanks for posting, hope no one else goes through this
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

How scary, I take my dogs swimming all the time. Looks like I have a lot of research to do.
    Thanks for posting this to alert us all.

RIP sweet Vita.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

That is so sad... Thank you for warning us all about this. Thank you and rest in peace, sweet sweet Vita...
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

LES RIP Vita.

Like cyber-sibes my family took blue-green algae for YEARS!! My family also went to Klamath Falls one time back when I was in high school. I would never have guessed that in that form it would/could be deadly to dogs.

This is very good to know since we do go camping alot at Lake Camanche. I will make sure Zoee does not ingest too much water...any if I can help it!!

Thank you for posting this k9krazee.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

RIP Vita

Thank you so much for taking the time to warn others. If only the government officials will do the same, instead of worrying more about the almighty dollar tourists wont spend if they panick. They NEED to panick! This is awful!!

I used to live in MI and still have family there, I hear all the time how bad the waters are becoming on lake huron with all kinds of stinky algea floating up to shore that has high concentrate of e'coli bacteria.

I am so sorry for your loss and pray God will comfort you in your time of need.

Rest in peace sweet Vita.

HUGS

What a tragedy. Here is a photo of Vita:

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

wow so sorry
    Hi all cat lovers have a nice day. chack out my meassge Board at
    http://orangeangelcat.proboards22.com/index.cgi

I was at an agility trial over the weekend and some people started talking about Vita. They said that in the necropsy they found that she ingested too much water and drown, it wasn't the algae. Either way, it's still something to be careful and aware about.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Still tragic. I had no idea about the algae. Must keep an eye out when we go to the Lake Orion Bark Park.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for this vital information & I will pass it on. R.I.P. Vita, you were a beautiful girl!