Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacation Pics

Vacation Pics

We recently got back from a vacation to Tucson, AZ. We took the motorhome but had to leave Peanut & CJ home. So here are misc. pics we took along the way.

On our second night out, we stayed at a campground just East of Amarillo, TX just off I-40, which used to be Rte 66 and which is the road the Okies took as they headed out of the dust bowl on their way to the land of milk & honey, aka - California. Really nice campground, and I found my new motorhome there!

But look, it has everything you could need, including water!

This is an actual "Okie" truck, outfitted exactly the way the Okies outfitted it back in the dust bowl days. It was so cool to see the real thing.

After we left Amarillo, we got off the Interstate and took a 4 lane, flat, extremely smooth highway through New Mexico. I LOVE this highway! There was a small little rest area that we stopped at. Here we are taking a break and soaking in the warmth of the desert.

And here's the motorhome with the desert in the background. Being from the Midwest, desert is something we rarely see and we're fascinated by it.

And here's a pic of our "rig" complete with car in tow and bicycles on the back. We're ready for va-ca-tion!

Another night we stayed at another beautiful campground in Picacho, AZ. This is the sunrise the next morning. Arizona does not do Daylight savings time, making them two hours behind us. Therefore, we woke up at 4:00 am and were raring to go by 6:00 am! Thus the sunrise pics.

More in next post ------------------>
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

We decided to go for a bit of a walk since the morning was so peaceful and beautiful. We're kind of grubbed out here because we went for a walk before we took showers. More fascination with the desert.

Saguaro cactus. They say they get to 100 years old before they get their first "arm," so this one must be well over 150 years old! (The cactus, guys, not me!)

Here's a dead Saguaro cactus. They are protected since they take so long to grow, and you can't just go cut one down or damage one in anyway, which means this one died of "natural causes" somehow.

This one had to be absolutely ANCIENT! Even the arms had arms so those arms had to be 100 years old before they had arms. There were birds living in this one and it was absolutely beautiful!

Terry took this on his way back. I believe this is a rest area somewhere in Colorado. The hills/mountains look like a pile of rocks instead of one big rock and it's unusual and neat to see.

Here's another pic of the rocks that make up the hill. Just like a pile of rocks!

And finally, this is a sunset at Chatfield State Recreation Area just a little South of Denver.

I know most of the pics are of the motorhome but I hope you enjoyed the scenery.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

What a great vacation, Debbie!!!!!!

Thanks for the pictures! I have never really seen the desert. I would love to, one day.

Logan

I certainly did enjoy the scenery! It was fabulous. What a great holiday you had! How many of us do you think you could fit in that motorhome?

Quote Originally Posted by Killearn Kitties
    I certainly did enjoy the scenery! It was fabulous. What a great holiday you had! How many of us do you think you could fit in that motorhome?
    Well....as the saying goes....Cocktails for 8, dinner for 4, sleeps 2.

However, what I think would be a TOTAL blast someday would be to get a bunch of us together and travel cross country, stopping at hotels at night for our "guests." It would be kind of like a greyhound bus, but way more fun and way more comfortable at night.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Oh I love the Sonora desert and the saguaros:

Waaahhh! I wanna travel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, Those are amazing pictures!
    Boy, You and your husband are defenitly ready for vacation.

What a gorgeous vacation! I find the Colorado photos even more interesting since I'll be heading to Denver May 19th.

If those are the sunsets I get to look forward too, then I'm psyched!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I enjoyed too!
    What a big motorhome you have (and beautiful too)! Stupid question but...are they all of this size in the US??? For me, this is almost a truck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia59
    I enjoyed too!
    What a big motorhome you have (and beautiful too)! Stupid question but...are they all of this size in the US??? For me, this is almost a truck!
    He he, that was exactly my thought too . Here a motorhome is only 1/4 th of the size of yours.... .

Lovely pics of the desert!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

We actually have LOTS of different recreational vehicles here, I think that one is the maximum size.

There are pop up trailers, travel trailors, conversion vans, fifth wheels, class a and class c motorhomes. I have been doing my research I am in the market for a pop up trailer, I want to start out small and still have the feeling of the great outdoors, my favorite parks are the state campgrounds and they won't allow anything over 27 feet long.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Those are awesome! I want a motorhome so badly! That's what mine would look like, too, pulling an suv and with bikes attached. Beautiful pictures, too! Looks like a great time!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    Those are awesome! I want a motorhome so badly! That's what mine would look like, too, pulling an suv and with bikes attached. Beautiful pictures, too! Looks like a great time!

Me too! I am afraid of anything that big though I plan on working my way up
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Great pictures of the desert & your wheels look beautiful. Almost like
    taking your "home" with you. The Okie truck looks like it's straight out
    of the movie Grapes of Wrath. I would love to see the desert up close one
    day myself,
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Debbie,

I am definitely jealous!!! What great pictures and such an elegant way of seeing the country. That's definitely the way to travel!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!