Thread: Keeping my dog clean

Keeping my dog clean

This is Seven and one of his favorite past times is finding dirt/mud/grass/deer poo to roll in. As you can see from the picture, he's white and can get filthy pretty quickly if I'm not paying attention.

Any thoughts on how to keep him clean without constantly bathing him? I don't want to make him sick from cleaning him TOO much. Is there any dog shampoo that any of you find works better than others. Getting grass stains out him is pretty tough

TIA - Adge

Dye his fur brown! *lol* Actually, maybe you can buy him his own pool and when he gets dirty all he has to do is jump in.

That must be pretty hard to keep a white dog from turning green, and black....

I use "Fresh Wipes" they are just like baby wipes but they are for dogs. Instead of having to actually bath them, you just wipe them down. I get them at my local pet store and the vet said they are ok to use in between baths. They have several different names but all work the same.

Hope that helps some. And any pet store should have them.

My dogs get into everything, but you don't notice on mine....as they are black.

Those work? I heard of them but they didn't seem like they would work. How well do they affect?

They seem to work well, they get the stuck on dirt off and makes their coats shiny (like they just had a bath)! Deisel has had grass staines on his paws and the wipes got it out.

Wow, I should try them some time

We use a waterless dog bath w/ ours. It's this foamy dog shampoo that you rub in and let it dry in the fur. It works pretty well, I didn't think it would really get the dirt out but it did.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

Your dog is the same color as Buddy! And yes it is a problem. If I can't stand it any longer I sometimes just brush his hair and use a little corn starch powder or baking soda (not powder). Seems to work well and its cheap and easy!
    I think I will get some fresh wipes and keep on hand.
    He never gets a bath more than once a month as it dries out his skin.

Thanks all for some good ideas.

What kind of dog is Buddy? Is he a digger too?

Welcome to Pet Talk. Your dog is beautiful, my enighbor has one that looks just like it, her name is Bella.

There's shampoo made especially for white dogs. The one that I have used was a dark blue. You can find the shampoo at pet stores. It really works.

Originally posted by lovemymaltese
    Welcome to Pet Talk. Your dog is beautiful, my neighbor has one that looks just like it, her name is Bella.
    Thanks! What kin dof dog does your neighbor have? The best that Amy and I could come up with was Seven being a shep/lab mix (I have other pictures that show why we think this, but his body structure looks like a greyhound or whippet. (deep chest leading to a really small waste and he runs with his butt tucked).

There's shampoo made especially for white dogs. The one that I have used was a dark blue. You can find the shampoo at pet stores. It really works.
    I will look tonight. He was absolutely fantastic when I had way too many dinner guests over on Saturday for a big Mexican dinner. He was friendly but didn't go near people while they were eating, so tonight we're going to Pet Smart to get his Dino-Bone to show him that it was appreciated. I'll look for the shampoo while I'm there.

I use Hartz Groomers Best Whitening Shampoo on Smokey.
    Works great on him.
    (dont know if this link will work)
    http://www.hartz.com/showroom/showde...ID=597&CATID=4

I also use the whitening shampoo on my one dog who is a white shep. mix.
    Every few weeks and after baths I use a product called GloCoat, it is almost like a vehicle armor all version for dogs. It helps repell dirt and stains as well as conditions & deodorize! It does not work too well but it helps a lot!! I love it!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.