Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny kitty with wobbly belly!

Skinny kitty with wobbly belly!

Ally has a really "floppy" belly - at the back - close to her back legs. She is a Bahraini Dilmun cat - they are descended from "desert cats", so their bodies are really slim and petite, with long slender legs and whippy tails (Really exotic looking - and if you get hold of them young enough they make great pets).

She has this really floppy "bag" of skin hanging down - but she is not overweight. Due to her breed being short haired and very slim, it is really noticable. (You can actually see it bobbing from side to side if you are directly behind her when she runs!) It doesn't bother her at all, but anyone who tries to tickle her wobbly bit ends up with the skin on their hands shredded!

Do you think it is because she isnt climbing trees etc (she is an inside cat, so her only climbing exercise is counter-tops, the fridge, and recently curtain rails)! Do you think maybe the vet done something wrong when he spayed her? It didnt seem as noticable before, but maybe it's also because she is taller now, so its more noticable.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

that sometimes happens to female cats when they get spayed. My childhood cat had the same thing after she was spayed. I wouldn't worry about it.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I also have male cats that have a bit of this wobbly belly. And not always the fat ones. Monte is slim and he has it.I do not worry about it.

Thanks for the reassurance. This is the first time I have been owned by a Cat, so I am still learning!

Here is my baby with her newest toy! - For any of you who were wondering what a Bahraini Dilmun looks like!

The "real" ones are spotted, but she looks like a little piebald pony!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

She is very pretty. Does that breed have that narrow head? or is it just this picture? (since I have never seen one)

Nope, it's not just the photo - her head is narrow like that.

They are VERY slim (bit difficult to see in this pic as she is lying down), with extremely long legs and tail, and really high hind-quarters, so they look a bit like a greyhound (OMG - don't ever tell Ally I compared her to a dog - she'll NEVER talk to me again)!

They are really unusual looking, but unfortunately here in Bahrain they are not poplular pets - most pet owners here seem to prefer persians - so they are mostly found in feral groups. (Ally made her way into my garden when she was TEENY, and decided to take over the house, and allow us to stay and become her slaves!
    LOL)

Ally Cat's Mommy

Beautiful cat. I can't wait to see more pictures!
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

Yes, this is a normal thing for cats that have been fixed - both male and female. Click here to go to a thread where we all gave out our kitty's worst tummy secrets.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh, she is beautiful. Please let us see more of her.

I found this on the web about her breed.

http://www.internationalspecialrepor...ahrain/21.html
    Steffi and Lovable

Welcome to Pet Talk Ally Cat's Mommy. I'm sure you'll love it here. Your cat is very beautiful and unique as well. I've been to many cat shows and have never seen or heard of this breed. I'd love to see more pictures of her. Don't worry about the hanging tummy. My cats have this too. I have 3 males and one is half aby and half tabby so he's also very long and thin and he also has the hanging tummy.

Hi Everyone,
    Steffi - thanks for the interseting link - there is very little knowledge out there about these beautiful cats!

Thanks to everyone else for their kind words - I showed Ally and she is now prancing around with her little head in the air - what a little madam she is!

Have a great day everyone!

Ally Cat's Mommy

Ally is definitely a beautiful furkid. The shape of her head is what caught my attention. thanks for sharing her picture with all of us. Maybe you could offer the pix of her for the Cat of the Day, since she is such a rare breed here in the 'states.

.......wayne

All of my kitties, two males and one female, have the belly pad. I think its kind of cute and fun to pet (except that Jan, the girl, doesn't like it and she'll hurt me if I try). It just probably seems more noticable because your kitty is so slender.

Welcome to Pettalk

She is a gorgous girl!

I think almost all five of our cats have that skin pounch thing. I've always wondered if it was due to being inside cats?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Your kitty is beautiful. Very stunning markings.

I think the floppy belly is the best part!! I love to watch it waddle when the boys run.