Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Meet Chipper, Kia's new brother!

Meet Chipper, Kia's new brother!

Totally did not expect this. *laughs*

So Andy and I went to the Pet Expo today and decided to start at one end of the exhibit hall and weave our way through the aisles before catching a few of the shows.

And of course the area we end up starting in is the pet adoption area.

So we're glancing casually remarking at how cute some of the dogs were. We stopped and chatted at the GSD rescue group and Andy was just smitten with the white GSD's. Andy began asking questions about how their temperament was and the like. I didn't really think anything of it.

Then we ended up wandering past the Oakland County Animal Control booth and started looking casually at the dogs. One caught Andy's eye. A little 2 year old tan and black GSD mix named Chipper. While all the other dogs around him were barking like mad, Chipper just sat there quitely yet alert.

We spoke with one of the volunteers about him and she just raved about him. We decided we'd think about it and browsed the expo hall some more. At 4 p.m. we ambled back that way and asked if we could take Chipper for a walk. They happily obliged. He walked great on a leash, was very attentive to our actions and most of all, was quiet, quiet, quiet! Just about anything tossed his way, he'd just wag his tail curiously at it and stare. He was just like another Kia. Andy was sold and I of course was not going to say no! *laughs*

Introducing him to Kia went very well and we finally had to tell them to stop playing since they were getting louder and louder with each rumble. He's only had two accidents so far (the first Kia literally scared the poop out of him. ), but overall he's settling in just fine. He's actually asleep at my feet right now.

So without any further ado, here's Chipper:

The sign on his cage while I was filling out paperwork.

Getting treats

His attentive look

Smile

Enjoying a greenie

We are thinking GSD/ACD/Husky mix, but someone said they think they see Basenji in him (his tail curls over his back). And we're not sure if it's just a normal quirk of his or if his legs were previously injured, but sometimes he'll bend his elbows outward when he stands. Makes him look like a bulldog.

He also can stand to gain a few pounds. He's 43 lbs. right now, but you can feel his spine, ribs, and hip bones. Poor guy. We're thinking some canned food to fatten him up, but I'll be asking the vet if there is anything else we can do other than regular feedings.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Congratulations!!! Chipper is beautiful and sounds like he has a wonderful temperament. What a fantastic new addition to your family.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

What a sweet doggie! He looks very grateful to be in his new home! I'm glad that Kia accepted him so quickly too!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

He is just too adorable! And it's so great that he and Kia get along so well. I'll bet they'll have lots of days filled with fun. Once they grab at your heart, you can't resist.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

oh wow! he's gorgeous! Congrats! and thanks for adopting him!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth

We decided we'd think about it and browsed the expo hall some more.
    ... and asked if we could take Chipper for a walk.
    He was just like another Kia.
    Andy was sold and I of course was not going to say no!

GOOD GRIEF!
    Remind me to steer clear of you guys at the next Dawg Show!

Shue hope Kia stays "friendly" towards Lil Brudder after she figures out he's STAYING!

Hopefully they'll turn into another Cinder + Smokey pair of "twins".

Is there room on the BigBed for FOUR?

WELCOME HOME, Chipper!!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Congratulations Kimmy!! Chipper is a very handsome dog! He looks great with Kia, I'm glad they are getting along so well!

aawww he is a very handsome dog... so adoreable

Congrats!! Welcome home Chipper!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Yep, he's doing well so far! He's a much smoother rider in the car than Kia is. In fact, he actually fell asleep a couple times on the ride home once we were on the highway. He also ate some treats while driving.... two things Kia doesn't do in the car! From what I could tell in my rear view mirror, he did make out with Kim a bit. LOL! (So, even though we were strangers to him, he was comfortable enough with us to give Kim many kisses and fall asleep in her lap. All good signs.)

He's about 10 lbs lighter than Kia, his length and height also doesn't equal Kia's, but the thing that drew us to him was how much his demeanor was so similar to Kia's. All the other dogs around him were going crazy and he just looked around at anything...no whimper or whining, not a single bark the whole time we were around him and the busy environment of people and animals. When we got back here, he barked a little, but ONLY when playing with Kia.

When we got back home, not to freak out Kia with a sudden new dog, Kim went into the apartment and took her outside for a potty break while I waited in the car with Chipper. Once she peed and was calmed down, Kim motioned over to me to bring the new dog out to where they were. The two dogs did a couple seconds of butt sniffing, play bowed at each other, and parted ways. It was that clean and simple! Once inside, he checked out the apartment, then started playing with Kia. She got kinda loud and pinned him down and he ran into the back bedroom and pooped. LOL She literally scared the crap out of him. After that they played here and there, but he seemed to have more fun playing with rope toys and tennis balls by himself than with Kia. But they'll get along fine, it appears. Now we're about to have the first sleep with him in the room and hopefully we will get sleep. Unsure, since it's his first night here how he'll be, but since he's already asleep on the floor behind me, he should be fine.
    Friend to Kia, Chipper, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Harley, Baby Crested, Mei, Esme, Jasper and Lucy Inara, along with the hermit crabs.

Congratulations!!! And I can definitely see a bit of Basenji in that little wrinkled forehead The bowed legs could be due to a bit of malnutrition which would make sense if he was a street rescue. At any rate, he is ADORABLE and we're expecting more pictures *wink* !

His legs are only bowed out in the front at the elbow joint. In back they don't do that. It also doesn't seem to happen with both legs at once, just on whatever direction he's leaning, that's the leg that does it. It gives him character.

Also, when we got home, Kim found his limited info on the Oakland County Animal Control page.....

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7182411

Not a great pic of him, but at least we have an internet record. His admission date on our paper record was 9/23/06. We have no clue if he was a street stray or a surrendered pet. Kim may email them to find out.

A couple more pics!!!

....and his current state....

Friend to Kia, Chipper, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Harley, Baby Crested, Mei, Esme, Jasper and Lucy Inara, along with the hermit crabs.

My Peke has the same thing. I think it's cute, and you're right. It does give character

Do his legs bend laterally? I thought I saw Lundehund for a second!

He is so cute! I got LES looking at the first pic with the I AM ADOPTED sign. So sweet!