Thread: Bladder Stones

Bladder Stones

Hello everyone,
    My shih tzu puppy was diagnosed with bladder stones (2 pea size) on Monday. The Vet is going to do surgery in a couple weeks to remove them. Anyone ever have a dog with bladder stones? Are bladder stones something really awful? Do they come back? Will my puppy have a normal life? As you can tell I am worried sick.

My info is purely cat related, but may be similar. I had a cat with bladder stones. They were removed through surgery. He needed a special diet for the rest of his life to keep the urine the proper ph so it would not happen again. There were no complications and he lived to be 14, a good life for a cat. Good luck with your baby. I am sure he will be fine, just feed him the proper food if the vet says he needsi it. The increased cost of any food is worth the life of your pet.

Thank you jenluckenbach! After reading your reply my puppy's diagnosis doesn't seen as frightening. My vet has my pup on amoxicillin until her surgery. He wants to wait until she is bigger for the surgery. The poor little girl is only 4 pounds! I think I am more concerned with finding out what the surgery will cost than the cost of special dog food (I at that looked online). I am willing to do whatever it takes.

Wishing your girl plenty of get well wishes, and
    good thoughts that her surgery goes well in two weeks.
    Hopefully the special diet will do the trick after her
    surgery.

----<---<--<{(@

Thank you for the well wishes KYS. I think this is going to be a long 2 weeks. I wish the surgery was over.