Thread: are grapes toxic?

are grapes toxic?

I heard from a girl at Petsmart that grapes are toxic. I'd never heard this before. Anyone have any links supporting or disproving this? I don't feed grapes as a regular part of Finn's diet, but, I also don't want to freak out if he gets ahold of one or two that fall on the kitchen floor, either.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

Everything I have been told over the years is a postive answer. Yes, grapes, and raisins, in big quantities are toxic for our dogs. It is uncertain just how much it takes, as some dogs react more quickly than others. To be on the safe side, I'd stay away from them.

Should have said that mine have eaten seedless grapes on occasion (one or two) and there were no reactions, but frankly, it isn't worth the risk to me anymore.

Logan

Ok, cool. I know I've never fed large quantities of grapes to any animal, but, I have let them eat a couple that have fallen or whatever....hmmm....I really didn't know that!

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I won't say it's toxic?! Could be if it's in large quantity. Chilli (A Shih Tzu) used to have a few grapes everyday. But then we learned that it is the reason that gave her crystals in her urinary track. So if possible, don't give them any grapes or raisins. I don't give Gigi any grapes nor raisins... I only give her tiny bits of apples and orange on occasions.
    Jen & Gigi

Thanks Kay for the set.

I have read before that they aren't good for dogs.
    There was an article in Dog Fancy sometime last year naming some foods that aren't good for dogs, and grapes was on the list.

I'm sure a few won't hurt them, but it's not worth the risk for me.
    I'm a bit overprotective--you should have seen me dive on the kitchen floor when I dropped an M&M--I got it though!!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I used to give my girls grapes too until I read that grapes were on the list of no, no's. Not toxic in the sense chocolate is, i.e. they can become suddenly and severely ill. But given regularly over time, grapes, raisins and onions are all potentially harmful.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~