Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who here clips their cats claws?

who here clips their cats claws?

or do you just let the vet do it? I myself have never attempted to do it, and the vet has recommended for me not to...just wondering if I am the only one here who just lets the vet do it..?

Wife to Steve and Mother to:
    Samuel Thomas 8/31/96 Amber Nicole 3/9/98
    Elizabeth Rose 12/14/99 Shalee Robyn 6/24/92
    Rocky 6/02
    Fluffy 11/02

USA - born in Texas, live in Virginia, work in DC
    I'm like you. I just can't bring myself to do it even though I've been shown how to do it. I get the vet to do it and he doesn't mind or question me about it.

I clip all of my cats claws...usually just the front need it. I am seriously thinking of trying the 'soft claws' though.
    Amy & The Hawkwind Critters
    Hawkwind Studio

USA - born in Texas, live in Virginia, work in DC
    How do those soft claws work? Do you buy them at cat supply stores? I wonder if cats are bothered by them.

I do it! Isn't easy though... ! Little Inka hates it, so she always thanks me with a series of new scratches on my hands

the best time to clip

Well, my guys were so tame that when it came to nail clipping, it was easy. The best time to do it is when they are sitting in the sun, relaxing. Miley is a bit more difficult than Graemer was.....but even so, I do the front and the back. It is the back claws that do such scratching on the cabinets and wood fronts to desks etc. Just grab the little devil in a death grip and start clipping. The more often you clip the easier it is on everyone!

Clipping is not an art, it is a science! Ask your vet or groomer to show you how to do it if you are afraid.

Sas

I clip Hayley and Mandy's claws myself. I find that I needed to clip Hayley's claws very often when she was younger. Now it seems like I can go longer before clipping time. Hopefully Mandy will be the same. I got a friend to show me how to do it before I tried myself.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

I have always clipped them on my own. I'm really lucky with Nakita, she actually purrs when I cut them. I think when you start training a cat early on (by handling their paws, massaging them etc) they will be more easily accepting of the clippers.

I also clipped the nails of the cat I had with my family. This was harder since this Siamese didn't want them cut. It took two people to cut them - I would hold her while my mother would cut the nails.

Actually, I've never known anyone who took their cat to the vet to clip the nails till I came on the internet and read stories like yours.

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

I clip my cat's claws myself. I was a bit scared at first, as she is my first cat, but now we have both got used to it, it goes pretty well.
    Here are a couple of things which may help:

TIP 1: If your cat is still quite young, then wait until she is lying on your lap and you are both relaxed, then gently "massage" her paws so her claws "slip out". I knew I wouldn't have time to get Ally to the vet for clipping, so when she was still small I started doing this - so now she associates the feeling with a cuddly / relaxing time in front of the TV. and not only with clipping.....

TIP 2: I tried the proper claw clippers, but I found them difficult to manage. I use a pair of normal (human)nail clippers, and only take off the very tip, so they don't split or anything.

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I let the vet show me how, and now I'm doing it myself. Rocky doesn't mind, but its always a showdown with Taz.

I clip my own. (but then again, I do it for a living, I darn well better now how...hee hee) And I still have one cat who it intimidated by being held closely so I let the vet do it for me on his first visit. Hopefully he will trust me in the future.

Rocky's Mama! I know you. I can tell by Fluff's picture. It's me, 2kitties, from Purrfect Paws

Hey!! what's up??

Wife to Steve and Mother to:
    Samuel Thomas 8/31/96 Amber Nicole 3/9/98
    Elizabeth Rose 12/14/99 Shalee Robyn 6/24/92
    Rocky 6/02
    Fluffy 11/02

Thanks to the burrito wrap, I do trim Max's nails, front and back. Because he has a short attention span I have to do it in two sittings. But he gets treats afterwards.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I also clip claws where I work, so I have no problems.

My cats are really easy. I just plop them over onto the floor and clip away. They don't move. I taught them all when they were young to not move during clippings.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever