Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Please help! Must find homes immediately for four cats! UPDATE

Please help! Must find homes immediately for four cats! UPDATE

I've posted before about my problems with the City of Denver. Today I learned that I have two weeks to remove five cats from my house, or the city will take the cats away. If that happens, they'll most likely be killed.

I think I have a place where one of the cats can go, but I desparately need to find a home for four others. I'm planning to move to Illinois as soon as I possibly can--hopefully within the next couple of months--but I don't know whether I'll be able to take the cats back after I relocate. So I think I'll have to give them up permanently, and it's breaking my heart.

Does anyone have room in your house and your heart for any of my sweeties? At least if they went to a PT home I would know they were in good hands.

Hagrid: a male longhaired tuxie who will be seven years old this summer. Such a sweetie. He could stand to lose some weight, but he's a real love.

Bob: It would be wonderful if Bob and Hagrid could stay together. They truly love each other. Bob is also about seven, a medium-haired brown tabby who looks like a Maine Coon mix. He needs dental work, and I'd arrange to pay for that. He's very shy of strangers, but is so gentle and sweet.

Katie: She's probably about eight years old, maybe going on nine. Also a longhaired tuxie. She's so affectionate--she likes to lick under my chin. A lovely girl.

Angel: My sweet, shy boy. He'll be six in April. He's not a lap cat, but he loves other kitties. He has a heart murmur but no sign of serious heart problems.

I'm typing this through tears. I knew that I was over the cat limit, but I never realized that the city would be so vindictive. They're actually treating it as a criminal matter that I have 10 cats!

If anyone can help, please let me know. I don't have much time, and I don't have friends locally who are willing to take any of them in even temporarily.
    Last edited by Prairie Purrs; 03-13-2007 at 03:42 PM.

I can't imagine the pain you are going through right now. I hope that you will be able to find either temporary or permanent homes for your babies. I don't have room and I live in KY or I would take one to help you out.
    Melissa

Try posting on Petfinder...and cross post this in Rescue too!

Are there any large pet stores in your state that have adoption programs? Does your vet have any ideas?

HUGS! Prayers coming your way...your babies are beautiful!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

what about this shelter? Have you contacted them? Maybe they would have fosters that could watch your cats while you made other arrangements.
    Melissa

here is another lists of places that you can ask if they take cats or not. I don't know if you have already done this yet or not so if you have I am sorry I am repeating
    Melissa

Would It Help If Your Vet Sent A Letter Saying That Your Cats Had All Thier Shots And Were Being Well Loved After.
    I Am So Sorry For Those Poor Cats And You, I Dont Know What I Would Have Done If The City Had Told Me To Get Rid Of 4 Found Cats.
    That Would Have Killed Me.
    We Are Praying That You Can Find A Safe Haven For Those Wonderful Cats.i Think That The City Shoud Be Looking After The Neglected Cats Not Cats Who Have A Great Furr Ever Home!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I'm going to start calling various shelters in the morning, but there's not a lot of space available in no-kill shelters around here. Katie and maybe Hagrid might attract some interest from adopters, but Angel and Bob are so skittish that if I have to put them in shelters, they'll probably never leave.

That's why I'm hoping that I can find a miracle here at PT.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu
    Would It Help If Your Vet Sent A Letter Saying That Your Cats Had All Thier Shots And Were Being Well Loved After.
    I Am So Sorry For Those Poor Cats And You, I Dont Know What I Would Have Done If The City Had Told Me To Get Rid Of 4 Found Cats.
    That Would Have Killed Me.
    We Are Praying That You Can Find A Safe Haven For Those Wonderful Cats.i Think That The City Shoud Be Looking After The Neglected Cats Not Cats Who Have A Great Furr Ever Home!!
    Nothing will help, I'm afraid. The city is entirely inflexible about this. They even told me that jail is a possible penalty for animal control violations. They won't even give me a couple of months to leave town with the cats. And I can't even bring myself to think about the neighborhood feral cats--the city plans to loan a trap to my evil neighbors and then kill any cats they trap.

I'm entirely soured on Denver as a place for pet lovers to live. I'm going to have to ask Karen to change my PT name once I'm out of here.

How would you get one of your cats to a person if they wanted to help out? Two weeks is a very short amount of time to arrange that kind of thing. I just feel so bad for you. It si funny that you should say Angel wouldn't leave a shelter. Out of your pics that is the one that caught my eye the most.
    good luck with the shelters
    Melissa

how about contacting the mayor or some other city official and explain the situation and that you will be moviing and taking your cats with you etc. Maybe that would help. I googled it and found this page. One elected offical has her picture with her cat and dog. I would think she would be sympathic to your situation and might know how to help you.
    http://www.denvergov.org/ElectedOffi...ed%20Officials
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by doolittleky
    How would you get one of your cats to a person if they wanted to help out? Two weeks is a very short amount of time to arrange that kind of thing. I just feel so bad for you. It si funny that you should say Angel wouldn't leave a shelter. Out of your pics that is the one that caught my eye the most.
    good luck with the shelters
    Melissa
    I'd rent a car and drive them where they needed to go. If I can find a home for them, I'll find a way to get them there.

I wish I were closer to you. What a difficult situation! And how did you ever decide WHICH ones to put up for adoption? Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by doolittleky
    how about contacting the mayor or some other city official and explain the situation and that you will be moviing and taking your cats with you etc. Maybe that would help.
    Melissa
    I've had animal rescue people speaking to city officials on my behalf, but it hasn't done any good. I've tried to get a message through to the head of Animal Control, and I'll try again Monday, but underlings intercept the messages and won't forward them.

At this point, I'm worried that if I antagonize the Animal Control people too much, they'll find an excuse to remove all of my cats. As it is, they're making up the rules as they go along--the ordinance that I was ordered to comply with doesn't have anything to do with indoor cats, and they're insisting that they can perform a warrantless search of my house in connection with a criminal matter, which is blatantly unconstitutional. But I'm nobody with no political leverage, so I don't have many options.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    I wish I were closer to you. What a difficult situation! And how did you ever decide WHICH ones to put up for adoption? Best of luck.
    It's a horrible decision. I'm keeping the ones whom I think need me the most. But it will just about kill me to let these four go.

what if you got a lawyer? seems to me animal control isn't floowoing the rules but breaking them and threatening you and itimatidating you in the meantime.
    Melissa