Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you camp with your dog?

Do you camp with your dog?

Hi all! We're getting ready to take Murph on his first camping trip in a few weeks. Luckily, we're going to a state park that has an area of the beach reserved for dogs and their people. It sounds like a great place. I'd welcome any tips, suggestions, etc. from people who've camped with their dogs. We think he's going to love it, and he's not a big barker, so I hope we won't have any problems... I'm sure his favorite part will be sleeping in the tent with us!

Of course! That is one of Drake's favorite things to do. All of us enjoy camping and Drake has so much fun. Murph is going to have a great time!

We enjoy camping with Dixie and Dusty!!! They love sleeping in the tent and we even got them their own self inflating air matress to sleep on (no sleeping bags though).

Make sure you take long line to tie Murph up so you don't have to hold the leash all the time. Don't forget the beach toys!!!

Have a great time! Wish I was going!!!

We take our Dobe camping with us all the time. We have a motorhome and go to a lot of races. she absolutely ADORES going. Be sure to take insect repellant for the dog too. One thing I have that works well is a Citronella bracelet. I got it at the drugstore and I simply loop it through her collar. Also be sure to take plenty of 'pooper pickup' bags. Oh, one more thing. I have found that a spillproof water bowl is terrific. The opening is small so bugs don't get into it if you are leaving it out for her for a while.
    Hope this is of some help.
    DoberMom

"getting older means never sharing your life with all the dogs you wanted"[/QUOTE] [CODE]

Yeah we take our dogs camping all the time--they love it! We have a 5th wheel, and they sleep in that. I have a tent too, but it's not real big.

Have fun! Make sure to check him often for ticks/bugs in his coat, and check his feet, my dogs tend to get stickers and crap stuck between their toes.

I took prissy little Tango one time and I believe that he was just as happy to see a bath as I was. He had had about enough of dirt, fire smoke and off spray. LOL

Odie LOVES camping! We haven't taken Scout yet, because he's a pup and he's so much trouble when we aren't at home. He barks WAY too much, doesn't ride well in the car, etc. So, only day trips for him so far.

Odie's favoritest thing in the world to do is to visit my parents house in the country. They have 43 acres and he is free to roam all the live long day. He LOVES it! Gotta watch for those sticker burs, but other than that he is in heaven. He doesn't even mind sleeping outside alone (my parents are NOT dog-in-the-house people).

I can just picture Odie running as fast as he can making complete use of all those acres available. I bet he is in his own personal heaven.

We took Checotah camping a lot when she was an "only dog". She loved the sleeping in the tent part the best. Now that we have 2 more dogs, camping is a bit impractical...
    Joan

What a perfect time for this question! We just went camping this past weekend and Tucker LOVES it! He even saved us from a skunk lol it was dark and we were all just sitting around the table when Tucker statred barking ( he hardly ever barks at things) we turned on some headlights and there was a skunk! ! Tucker kept barking and scared it away!! He is my hero !
    Things to keep in mind while you are packing... Toys Toys and more Toys! also LOTS of fresh water. Also if your baby has a special blanket or pillow make sure you take it alone too. The first time we took Tucker we left his pillow and he was restless all night long! Hope you have a great time! hugz Jessica and Tucker

Re: Do you camp with your dog?

Here is a list of what we take camping when
    we are gone for more than a few days.

Two dog leashes, 2 collars with id tags/license
    per dog. (you never know when a leash or collar will break)
    Tree trolly or tie out, tick/flea spray,
    towel,comb, brush, tick remover tool, tweezers,
    first aid kit. food dish, plenty of dog food, water, poop
    pick up bags, shampoo, rabis certificate (even though we never have been asked to show it) plus vet info.
    toy, and dog rug. I can't think of anything else right now.
    After all that, I bet you do not have any room
    for you and your stuff. lol

----<---<--<{(@

We took Belle once. She tried to bite the game warden. We haven't been since the gang grew so much. No way we could control all of them! But Belle loved it!
    My pets are usually pleased with what I do, because they are not inflected with the concept of what I SHOULD be doing. My time is owned by: Missie,Thor, and Trinity!

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone!!

One more question--can you use regular "people bug spray," like Off, on dogs, or do we need to buy a special "dog bug spray"?

Luckily Murphy has his Lyme vaccination, so that's one less thing to worry about...

a few camping reminders

If you are going to a state park or most anywhere else you might camp, don't forget to take your dog's shot records with you. Tags aren't enough, they need proof.
    We take Ricky & Lucy Tu with us camping all the time. We have a motorhome and belong to a club so we meet other club members for camping about once a month.
    Remember if you decide you want to go to a restaurant near by or some other place that doesn't allow animals, you must have you dog under control while you are gone (like no barking).
    Ricky and Lucy Tu love it but they are also able to go inside and just chill while we visit our friends. Sometimes pets get exhausted with all the going ons so make sure they get some quiet time.
    Nancy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

oh they are so cute, all perched up on the top of that sofa like the king of the world.