Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding big dogs

Feeding big dogs

How often and how much do you all feed your larger breeds? I used to feed them 2 cups twice a day (Costco lamb and rice). They got fat. Now I am feeding them 3 cups just in the evenings. Alot of people I know feed their dogs once a day, but I feel cruel. What do you all think?

I don't have a big dog so I can't tell you how much to feed a big dog. As for feeling cruel if you feed once a day...I find it okay. I'd prefer two a day but one I think is fine. There are people who will make their dogs "fast" one day of the week and I haven't heard of a dog starving to death from that.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Timber gets two meals a day..She gets something in the morning, usually eggs, and some dinner in the evening

Leather gets two meals of dog food a day
    I've been BOO'd!

Re: Feeding big dogs

I prefer feeding 2 smaller meals a day.
    Each dog, and each brand of food is different.
    If your dogs are getting fat on 2 cups, 2 times a day, simply cut them down to, 1.25- 1.50 cups a 2 times a day and see how that works out for them.

----<---<--<{(@

I feed once a day--raw diet--in the evenings. The big dogs--(malamutes) Kayleigh and Heyoka, get about a third more food than the siberians. Never had a problem feeding once a day, although the big two aren't allowed a run for an hour before and after dinner to reduce the risk of bloat.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I feed my dogs twice a day., 6 am and 6 pm. Spot and Sadie both get about 4 c./day of Sensible Choice Lamb and Rice Active adult

Cincy gets about 1 1/2 -2 c. /day of Sensible Choice Lamb and Rice Reduced calorie plus 1/2 can of green beans.

Good topic!

Originally posted by Glacier
    I feed once a day--raw diet--in the evenings. The big dogs--(malamutes) Kayleigh and Heyoka, get about a third more food than the siberians. Never had a problem feeding once a day, although the big two aren't allowed a run for an hour before and after dinner to reduce the risk of bloat.
    My daughter will be adopting a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog puppy shortly. This question of feeding and exercise has been a concern to her as well as me (this will be my granddog! ) From what I have read, adult large breed dogs should be fed twice daily. Several breeders also use the raw diet as part of their regimen, although not everyone. She has been told to watch the exercise around mealtime because of the fear of bloat too and also the two smaller meals rather than one large meal is suggested.

All of our dogs eat once a day and the Danes get 5-6 cups of Exclusive. Daisy gets 4 cups lowfat and 1 cup regular and Jazzy gets 3 cups senior and 3 cups regular.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I feed Cisco several small meals a day. I think you should feed more than once a day, because I wouldn't want to eat just once a day. Just my humble opinion.
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

I have always had big dogs and definitely recommend feeding them at least twice a day, especially if you have overweight dogs. It is a matter of metabolism - if you feed them smaller meals more often, it will increase their metabolism and aid in weight loss. I would also take a look at the type of food you are feeding them. Some of the bargain dog foods have much more filler and fat content and can cause weight problems. Better foods are richer and dogs actually can be fed less amounts to get the right nutrition. I would recommend talking to your vet and getting recommendations from him/her on what food is best for your furkid.

I feed Nebo 3 1/2 cups a day..... 1 1/2 in the morning before I leave for work (around 8:30 most days) and 2 cups in the evening when I get home (around 5:30) Not that he eats all of it, most of the time I'm using the bowl from the night before the next morning.

Tonya: I like to feed 2x a day to all of my cats and dogs personally. Specially with some breeds of dogs you have to worry about bloat and feeding 2x a day can help with that.
    I also think you could fair well on a food change. What your feeding isn't a great brand, and it might be attributing to them getting fat.
    Now I know even though some of these brands "look" like they cost more then what you are feeding now, but they really don't. It's a bit longer to explain, but just take my word for it, over a period of about 3 months, you will wind up spending pretty the the exact same, or less, or slightly more (were talking a couple bucks here) over a period of 3 months. Which is not a big deal, if in exchange you get dogs who are in excellent physical health!

I would personally stear clear of Iam's/Eukanuba and Science Diet. And any of the low grade foods out there (most of what you will find in grocery stores/walmart).

Some foods to consider are:
    Artemis
    Azmira
    Canidae
    Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul
    Evolve
    Breeders Choice Health Food
    Holistic Blend
    Natural Balance
    Natures Variety
    Pinnacle
    Royal Canin
    Sensible Choice
    Solid Gold
    Show Bound
    TimberWolf Organics
    Wellness
    Wysong

Good luck!!
    "If you won't rescue, don't breed"

I wish I could free feed my dogs, as I do my cats, but Lilly and Murphy will just eat and eat!! So, each one gets fed in the morning and in the evening, rather than once a day. Seems like for dieting reasons, spreading the feedings out a bit is better than only once a day.

Oreo eats twice a day--2 cups of Nutro large breed in the morning and 2 cups in the evening. She needed to gain a little weight when we got her, but now on this plan she holds steady at 65 pounds.
    Oreo and Molly

The more times a day you feed the better the metabolism is in the dog, therefore less chance of getting fat. I prefer twice a day for small to big dogs & 3 times a day for giant dogs (great danes, irish wolfhounds).
    Personally I feed all my dogs twice a day

My oldest a shep mix who weighs 68lbs gets nutro natural large breed senior he gets only 3/4-1 cup twice a day (he gets fat easily)

My other 2, a rott who weighs 89lbs & a husky mix who weighs 50 lbs gets nutro natural large breed adult, they get 2 cups twice a day.

Sometimes my dogs will not eat their breakfast or sometimes only part of it. Then at dinner they do not get any extra just the amount they are supposed to have.

Like mentioned the quality of food you are feeding may atribute to weight gain or loss.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.