Thread: Is this normal for Basset Hounds?

Is this normal for Basset Hounds?

I have a Basset Hound at school that I take care of weekday mornings. This poor dog does not want to play with toys. I tried five or six different toys and he rather play around the yard and with me. He doesn't even fetch. I have heard from other students that this is normal with Basset Hounds but I just want to make sure. Is it really normal for Basset Hounds to be anti toys and anti fetch?
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

Absolutely

Remember... he is a HOUND. And most hounds are interested in hunting, sniffing and will run around and play with you - as they are very devoted. Otherwise, they would rather lay around and sleep (unless you have a treat that they can eat). I never had a Beagle (and I have had lots - that was ever interested in fetching and never would). And Beagles are pretty close to Bassets in demeanor. My Uncle had a Basset (Mr Bones was his name) and he would barely acknowledge visitors - just lift his head and flop back down. So unless you are going to hunt them - giving them good exercise - either walking them or playing with them (as you are ) is very good, as they tend to get overweight on their own.

Thanks Bob. My classmate was right. I just wanted to make sure.

I am happy now in a way. Sure I would love to play toys with him, but now I don't have to worry about taking a toy that another dog wants.

Just an update. I guess Boggles isn't so anti toy and anti fetch after all. I was watching another dog fetch and Boggles was with me and he acted like he wanted to have some fun so I got the ball out and he halfway gets fetch. He goes to the toy but then looks at me like what to do with it. I will do more work on this and see if I can teach him to fetch.

Good luck! Our Great Dane mix never did understand fetch. At all. Or even "catch." But we always suspected she was a bit brain damaged, and just decided to love her or the funny, silly sweet girl she was. I have known Bassets who never, ever, fetched, they'd get too distracted by some good sniff on the way, given that their noses are close to the ground anyway!
    I've Been Frosted

Completely normal! I had a Beagle, and she was never interested in toys, all she wanted to do was to be by anyone who was sitting on the couch. She loved to cuddle and be close to me. She was a great dog. However, I do have a Beagle mix, and he is part Boston Terrier, so I don't know, he LOVES to play fetch and I think it's because we played with him and had him learn the concept of it when he was a puppy.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Well, they aren't really retrievers but I bet if he watches the other dogs do it enough he will start doing it. I love Bassets and Beagles. I am sure some will remember that I always post about my dog growing up was a Beagle. He was the first furry love of my life back then. Bassets just have the most adorable faces with those long ears.