View Poll Results: Does your dog's collar fit properly?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, he cannot slip out of it.

32 49.23%
  • YES, I use a training type collar that cannot slip over head.

6 9.23%
  • NO, I keep it loose and it could slip over the head.

21 32.31%
  • N/A My dog only wears a harness.

2 3.08%
  • N/A My dog does not wear a collar.

4 6.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your dog's collar.

Your dog's collar.

Does your dog's collar fit properly, or do you leave it loose enough to slip off?

it's loose enough to insert 2 fingers in but not so loose that it slips off.

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

I have had to go to a martingale collar, because no matter how tight I had it Ginger could slip out of it if she was scared. I switched to the martingale about a year ago, and thought it was working great, until about three weeks ago when she became frightened by a large dog and slipped her lead. But that was the only time she has done it with that collar. If she does it again we will need to go to a harness.

Why do you ask?

Edit: Oh never mind, I just went to General and I see why you asked. Let me just say that as an owner of an Eskie, their heads must be smaller than their necks, because they can get out of a collar very quickly if they want to.
    Last edited by Ginger's Mom; 08-14-2005 at 12:15 PM.

Why do you ask?
    I ask mainly because 9 out of 10 dogs that come into the grooming shop have collars WAY too large for them. Now, they may walk nicely with their owner, but they DON'T want to willingly come into the shop and they are constanly slipping out and getting away. It is frustrating and I think very dangerous for a dog to be able to get off its leash/collar.

And yes, that story reminded me that I wanted to make this poll.

all of my dogs collars are snuggly fit so that they cant slip over their heads.

except maggie, when she wears her collar(rarely) it's pretty loose because she's 13 and moves slow anyhow, i never put a leash on her, of course unless she is going to the vet, then the leash is on and the collar is snuggly fit

I dont think most people realize the risks of a loose collar, all it takes is the dog to move backwards and the collar is off, then they can bolt and you may never find your pet again.

Personally I think a dog should have different collars for different things -- I think that for a walk, it shouldn't be able to slip off. But for wearing around the house, it should be able to slip off. I've heard way too many horror stories about dogs hanging themselves and whatnot.

My catahoula will have a martingale for walks -- they are safe and comfortable and won't slip off -- for around the house, a simple collar that can slide off if the dog is caught on something.

My dog's collars are loose around the house, but when we go for walks they get tightened or wear harnesses.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by vinjashira
    it's loose enough to insert 2 fingers in but not so loose that it slips off.
    Yep, same here.

They have their collars on when they go to the dog park, out for walks, etc. but when they're just playing or relaxing in the house I take their collars off.

Originally posted by Kfamr
    My dog's collars are loose around the house, but when we go for walks they get tightened or wear harnesses.
    That's what I do, too. I want their ID tags on them, if they should happen to get out. But in the rare chance they might get their collar hung up on something, I want them to be able to pull out of it.

When I take them for walks, I just slip a choke chain on them.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Harnesses for my two! That is because Ripley is a magician when it comes to slipping out of his collar. Around the house I keep a collar on him in case, God forbid, I let him outside and find that someone has tampered with the gate. On walks the little stinker wear a halter in addition to his collar. Bella wears nothing around the house but on walks wears both her collar and harness.

We also use Martingale collars. Dogs can still slip out of these if they are too loose and you grab the collar as a whole, but if they are fir preoperly, the dog can't slip out of them. Even when worn too loose, if you use grab only the outer loop of the collar, it tighens, so they can not slip out.

12. My dog doesnt wear a collar at anytime. he scratches the ever living daylights out of his neck if i leave one on.

luckily we live in the country with a huge fenced in yard. so collar and tags really arent quite that manditory. plus he never goes outside by himself anyway.

Josie's normal collar is very loose and can slip over hear head, but I walk her with a training collar that fits properly.

Zeke's fits properly

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

The shelties never ever wear collars.... and in the very odd case that they do need one on, say a trip to the vet then the collar is so loose it slips right on over their heads.

*Thanks Ashley*

Martingale for the Greyhound who requires it (and in many expensive designs ), and no-collar/harness for the Peke. I didn't vote because my two use different products.