Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting Video on PT Tutorial

Posting Video on PT Tutorial

Due to popular demand, I've written step by step instructions on how to post videos to PT. I, myself, was manually going through the steps as I wrote this up, so hopefully I didn't miss anything. So without further ado....

Step by Step Instructions for
    Creating Videos for Pet Talk

Disclaimer – I’m assuming you already know how to take videos, file them on your computer and retrieve them from the place you saved them to.

1. Open Windows Movie Maker. If you do not have WMM on your computer, you can download it for free from this site. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp
    2. Once WMM is open, towards the bottom of the screen, make sure it says “Show Storyboard.” You can change it to Timeline on your own once you get more familiar with the project, but just so we’re all on the same page for now, make sure it says Storyboard.
    3. Towards the top left of the screen, look under the heading “Capture Video” and click on “Import Video.”
    4. This will take you to a screen where you find the video you had taken and saved. Once you find the video you want to work with, double click and WMM will import it – this may take a minute or two.
    5. When the thumbnail appears, drag it to the timeline – where it says “Video” towards the bottom of the screen – and drop it there.
    6. The video will now show up as a thumbnail on the timeline, and will also be on the right side of the screen. You can click the “Play” button to view the video if you like.
    7. To save the video, on the left side of the screen, under the “Finish Movie” heading, click on “Save video to my computer.”
    8. Enter a name for the video and tell the computer where you want to save it and click “Next.”
    9. On the next screen, you can save the video in different sizes. I’ve found that 1 MB is a good size for Pet Talk. Click the “Best to fit” radio button, then specify 1 MB then click “Next.” NOTE – if your video is smaller than 1 MB, it won’t let you save it to that size. If this is the case, save it to the size it recommends when you click the “Best to fit” radio button.
    10. The movie will save which may take a minute or two, then you can either click the box to play the video when you click finish, or just click finish.
    11. You’ve now got the video in a format that Pet Talk will recognize. To post the video to Pet Talk, the first step is to go to the forum you wish to post the video to.
    12. Click on “New Thread” on the top right of the screen.
    13. Fill in the subject and type any sort of little story or whatever you want to introduce the video.
    14. On the left side of the screen you will see a heading “Attach File.” To the right of that, click on the “Browse” button. Once again you need to find the video that you saved. However, this time find the video you created with WMM instead of the original. When you find it, double click on it.
    15. This next step is VERY important! DO NOT,repeat, DO NOT preview the thread. If you preview it will delete the video. When the path of the video shows up next to the “Browse” button, simply click “Submit New Thread.” It will take a minute or two while the video uploads to Pet Talk, just be patient. Even with high speed access it will take a little time for this step.
    16. Once the thread appears, if there is something you don’t like, or for some reason it didn’t work, you can always delete it. The thread will appear with an attachment that you need to click to view the video.
    17. That’s it! Piece of cake!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Re: Posting Video on PT Tutorial

Ok, I need some help here. Seems that my Windows Movie Maker is kinda *different* from your's.

I completed steps 1-6, and have listed the differences, and what I did in green...

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

1. Open Windows Movie Maker. If you do not have WMM on your computer, you can download it for free from this site. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/downloads/moviemaker2.asp
    Opened Windows Movie Maker........no problem here.

2. Once WMM is open, towards the bottom of the screen, make sure it says “Show Storyboard.” You can change it to Timeline on your own once you get more familiar with the project, but just so we’re all on the same page for now, make sure it says Storyboard.
    Mine said *Timeline*, but I figured out how to change it to *Storyboard*.

3. Towards the top left of the screen, look under the heading “Capture Video” and click on “Import Video.”
    Here's where the instructions didn't work for me. No where on my screen did it say *Capture Video*. I ended up clicking on *File* and then on *Import*.

4. This will take you to a screen where you find the video you had taken and saved. Once you find the video you want to work with, double click and WMM will import it – this may take a minute or two.
    Clicking on File and then Import took me to the screen where I found the video and imported it.

5. When the thumbnail appears, drag it to the timeline – where it says “Video” towards the bottom of the screen – and drop it there.
    6. The video will now show up as a thumbnail on the timeline, and will also be on the right side of the screen. You can click the “Play” button to view the video if you like.
    Did step 5. I then clicked on Play and the video viewed just fine. Now I'm stuck..........
    Here's where I'm stuck. Step 7.........

7. To save the video, on the left side of the screen, under the “Finish Movie” heading, click on “Save video to my computer.”
    8. Enter a name for the video and tell the computer where you want to save it and click “Next.”
    Just as there was no *Capture Video* on my Windows Movie Maker screen, there is also no *Finish Movie* that I can see on the left side of the screen, and I can't find any *Save video to my computer*. I looked for alternatives but couldn't figure this part out. *Needs Debbie's help*

Thanks for taking the time to post this tutorial for us! I have been wanting to post videos for a long time.
    Last edited by popcornbird; 05-20-2004 at 01:41 AM.

Poppy, you may have to go to that site Debbie mentioned and download the new version of Windows Movie Maker. Thats what I had to do, once I done that, everything was so clear then.

It was so easy to follow Debbies directions then. Check and see about maybe downloading the newer version, because it is so much easier!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Ok...........I *think* I figured it out. I had to click on *File* and then *Save Movie*.

Let me test it. If it works, that is Muffin *spinning* her head........something she does everytime she's frustrated, angry, or confused. Its hilarious.

Edit: YIPPEE!!! It worked! Thanks so much Debbie!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Awwww, pops that is so sweet!!

Chris

*sigh* maybe one day I will have WindowsXP and be able to share my movies too.

Poppy, that was so sweet!! I loved it, now you can make more videos!!

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Originally posted by ChrisH
    *sigh* maybe one day I will have WindowsXP and be able to share my movies too.
    Since you can download WMM from the site I posted, I don't know if you really NEED XP. I know it says that is the operating system it will work on, but a lot of times programs will work on other operating systems, it's just the Microsoft doesn't "support" those operating systems, meaning if you have a problem, don't call them. But you could try downloading it and see what happens. Worst case is it doesn't work and you uninstall.....

Pops! Great video!!! Muffin looks so agitated, and it's a good thing you described what she is doing, because she moves so fast that if you didn't know what she was doing, you might just miss it.

And thanks for posting the differences and what you did to get around them. I know a few others have just downloaded the newer version, but your "work arounds" might help somebody who is having the same problems as you to understand. When I read your first post I was going to suggest going to see if there was a "File/Save" but I see you figured that out yourself.

If anybody else has any questions or problems, please feel free to PM or email me. I just love everybody's videos and will be glad to help! Can't guarantee anything, but will be glad to try.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

Do you have to have Windows XP to share movies?

EDIT: Nevermind! Just seen that post!

Thanks for sharing the tutorial, I bet I will need it when I get my camera!

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Im going to try downloading it now, to see if it'll work for me, I hope it does.

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Originally posted by DogLover9501
    Im going to try downloading it now, to see if it'll work for me, I hope it does.
    Thanks for being the guinea pig. Let us know how it goes.....
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

It didn't work

RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

You can always find a server that allows movie type formats and upload your movies there. Then link your movies.

That's what I do.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Ok so I'm not the brightest person....I just went to download that program...

It was halfway through the download and I decided to do a search...I already have that program.

Now lets see if I can be intelligent enough to figure out how to do this.

Ummmm.........test.......?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Originally posted by wolf_Q

Ummmm.... test.......?

WW!

There's........ NEBO!!!!

WAY to GO, Amy!!!!
    Does this mean we'll see MORE of Nebo in the future?
    HOPE So!!

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy