Thread: I am discontinuing the soft claws

I am discontinuing the soft claws

I have decided against using the soft claws. During my trial, on 5 cats, this is what I learned:
    they can't scratch me
    they do look cute

DISLIKES:
    the cats HATE when I need to push them onto the nail! (I do not want them to become fearful of nail clipping)
    they come off sporatically, so I am ALWAYS in need of replacing one
    out of 5 cats tried, only 2 kept them for more than 3 weeks.

BUT MY #1 COMPLAINT IS:
    as the caps start to move away from the cuticle, but before they fall off, there is a gap between the cap and the cat's nail that forms a ridge. Jim got a strong string looped over that ridge and could not get loose. The string was one that could not be broken and was connected to a heavy object that could not be moved by a cat. The ridge formed by the nail cap prevented the string from slipping off the nail. If I was not there to cut the string, I can only imagine how much damage may have been done to his little foot.

An advocate of clipping nails

Jen, I have nothing against Softpaws, in fact I have never even seen them in person but I do wonder about the expense. I am a very strong advocate of clipping nails, both front and back. I think in the long run, nail clipping is more natural.

My only concerns about the Softpaws from an outsider's view is that the cover may offer a place for bacteria or crud to build up and two, the cats cannot retract the nail completely. <--- I could be wrong on this comment.

Anyway, the nail clipping process can be messy sometimes, but I like it in the long run.

SAS

Luckily, Juni is never mean when using her claws and I neither use Soft Paws, nor clip her claws. We used to clip Vasea's claws though
    Re furniture... Who cares? I do not intend to leave it to my grandchildren. I hope to be healthy and strong to make money and buy other furniture if this one is not good anymore
    Last edited by Vio&Juni; 04-23-2003 at 07:08 AM.

As all of my furniture was given , beqeathed or found , the Cats are free to do as they wish. I can trim some of them , and none ever scratch at me with bad intentions! So far anyway!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks for the info, Jen! Sounds like you have good reason to discontinue them! Wouldn't want to risk hurting any of our babies over furniture!!! I have to also agree with V&J on the furniture issue. We do have nice furniture, but I consider my cats even NICER!!!! I decorate my home for my and my family's (cats are my family too) to enjoy .... who cares what anyone else thinks!!! I rarely have company anyway, as I would rather just meet someone out for dinner than to have a big gathering in my home. I used to be different, but now I've chosen my cats as my friends and source of enjoyment for the most part. Too many of my friends, family, etc.... are bothered by the cats, so I say "see you at the restaurant!"
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I have NEVER cared if the furniture was damaged, nor has any cat been malicious in their attampts to scratch you....well..... (the kittens, Jim and Kim, do tend to claw you when they grab for a treat though) And I have ALWYAS clipped their nails, so I guess I just wondered about them and tried them out, but I thought you'd all like to know the conclusions I came up with.

Jen, I'm sorry that the soft paws didn't work out for you. I've never tried them or even thought about trying them because I also prefer to have their nails trimmed. Thanks for the update.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    I have NEVER cared if the furniture was damaged,
    He-he-he, only the idea of wanting 13 kitties takes you out of the list of "I love my furniture" persons

Tigris and Filou use their own claws. Up to now they have ruined a wooden balcony door and the sofa. They did that in their first year here. Since then -nothing.

But they told me they would eat my arm if I tried to clip their nails

An interesting thing I noticed with our three that have them....

Noel & Noah were done by the vet and they've only lost one or two! Basie has lost all but three!! I have to wonder if there is a special technique I'm just not getting.

Ours are working great! The main reason we wanted them was for the apartment carpet. It isn't ours and Noel is a digger, we can't have her destroy something we don't own. Noah got them because they all were going to get them, we wanted to be fair. Basie got them because he has razor-sharp claws and my legs are constantly getting bloody when he jumps up on me every time I sit down.

I'm going to have them put on Olivia, but not Micah. I don't want to traumatize him, he isn't a mellow cat like our others.

I HAVE noticed the gap you are talking about on Basie, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for him. I have no idea why, he's a playful critter...I'll be watching for that though, Jen. Thanks for the heads up.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

We take George to the vets to have his claws clipped.

Otherwise his claws get caught in the rug and he ends up falling over and he can't get up. We find this very funny. George disagrees.