Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You named your cat what!?

You named your cat what!?

Ok,

So I am fairly new here and I don't know if you have had this thread but I would dearly love to know where all your cat names came from and why?!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

It has been asked, but no harm in saying them again.

Present cats:
    Jackson
    Rosie
    Twidgit
    Ashton

Past cats:
    Chrystal
    Morgan
    Michelle

Foster cats:
    Fluffy
    Livvy

Those were just for my fiancee and I, she had several more before I came along.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Sure!

Noah: We wanted a bible name and this one just fit. His middle name is James, after one of my hubby's favorite preformers, Jimmy Buffet.

Noel: We got her close to Christmas, so we picked Noel. Her middle name is Joy, as in the joy of knowing the Lord.

Basil: My grandmother was English and she always pronounced the herb Ba-zil....I loved it. So, we picked that. His middle name is Nathaniel, another bible name.

Olivia: I just love the name Olivia and my hubby wouldn't want it for a child's name so the cat got it. Her middle name is Eve, again, the bible name.

Great thread!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Gee, T & P don't have middle names. Guess I'll have to come up with something for them.

Tubby was named because he's not fat, he's just kind of....tubby.

I'm sure Peanut got her name because of her color. Her first mom named her, but the name fit her so well because of her color and because she's just such a little peanut girl, so I kept the name for her. She had also gone through enough trauma when I got her, so I didn't want to confuse her anymore by changing her name.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

My daughter named all of our cats. She seemed to know what suited them.

Patty - browinish grey tabby - because she likes to be patted.

Ginger - calico - orginally named Tigger at the Humane Society, but we liked Ginger because she has a lot of red in her fur.

Louis - I don't know why - he is an orange tabby so a lot of people think he is the one named Ginger.

Krissy - grey and white long hair - full name Krystal, because she's a fancy kitty.

Neko: means 'cat' in Japanese
    Pumpkin: cause she's orange (a customer named her at the photo store I used to work at)
    Cookie: it was between that and oreo cause she's black and white- we decided on Cookie while eating breakfast at IHOP.
    Tama: the name of the kitty on Fushigi Yugi
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Snowy came from Snow Pea. That's what we were supposed to call him. It lasted about two days and morphed into Snowy. (It's easier to yell )

And Mr. Jones-

Well, my husband and I were spending a leisurely day in Croatia, when a man walked up with a dog. Obviously he didn't speak much English at all (and I spoke zero Croatian, to be fair) but he did keep saying: Mr. Jones... Mr Jones... and pointing to his dog.
    I thought it was dignified.
    So we have a Mr. Jones!

Well, like it says in my sig, my kitty has many names. The name he was given by my mother-in-law is Dudley, and I have no idea why she picked it. I don't really care for that name, so I call him a lot of different things. Among some of his names recently are:
    Ralphie, Frankie, Joe, Henry, Hank (sometimes Hank Williams Jr.), Gorgeous George, Herman, Mr. Belvedere, Babe Winkleman, Farty Fartboy (this is not because he's gassy; it's from South Park), Bubba Franks, Francis, Melvin, Larry, Sparky Sparkplug...............it all depends on my mood that day . He knows I'm talking to him just by the tone of my voice, so I don't need any particular name to get his attention. (On the medical records though, he's still Dudley.)
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Storm was already named by the Humane Society and I thought that it was a great sounding masculine name and he is a blue gray color like a storm so I kept it.

Pepper was named this because he's black and when he was a kitten he was full of energy or pep and he sometimes sneezes too.

Sunny was named this because he's my golden boy and he's full of energy and has brought a lot of life into my household. I call him my little ray of sunshine.

Here are mines:

Koxka, means femalle cat in russian ( I was studying russian at the time a got her)

Iuri, still studying russian one year later when I got him, he got his name to honour Yuri Gagarin the russian Cosmonaut. Later I found that Iuri is George the Saint Patron of Catalonia.
    (Saint Patron in Catholic countries is the Saint that is supossed to protect your land from bad things to happen)

Paloo: Is a recued stray kitty , and got his name from the place he came from,Palau, with a little change ( Palau...Palu...Paloo)

Ginjol: This one is hard to explain , is a catalan adjetive that means a bounch of nice thing. When somebody is a "ginjol" is smart, helpful, well behabied etc... Let's say is a person that's nice to have around.

Pericot: Is the familly name of a philologe and the street he came from.
    At home he's Perich the name of a graphic hmorist who was a true cat lover.
    His official name is Pericot and he's Perich at home.

Shin-Xan the Hamster: She dosn't like pepper like the kid in a Japanese animation called Shin-Shan.

The fishes: they don't have names. They used to have when fishes were my only pets. We have become a large family and they have became anonymous.

The last addition to the household is the turtle . I wanted to call it Maria if it was a girl. He turned to be a boy and the vet said: Sorry it's not a Maria , it's a Mariano ( Maria's name for males) and Marianu, with U, he went.

Fawn is so named because of his color, a tan/brown.
    Cookie is named because of her one eye being bad. I thought about naming her (g)rey (o)ne (e)yed (c)at. Any way, this translated into Cookie, which seems to fit her.
    Tiara is named because of her tortie coloration -with a little brown spot on the top of her head
    Tiger, from her lynx-point coloration, she looks like a tiger except her colors, being white and gray tabby.
    Amy was name by the shelter keepers.
    Blue-Czarina, because she is a Russian Blue.
    Happy, because all that is necessary to make him happy is to touch him and he immediately begins to purr.
    Chris, is named because I adopeted him just before Christmas.
    Puma because she looks like the large (200 lb.) North American wild cat -being another Russian Blue.
    King Otis, the Otis part was from the shelter keepers and the King, because of his royal appearance and demeanor.

I think that is all of them

.............wayne

So Fuzzy where did all your kitty names come from?

Bastet came from the fact that she looked like the Egyptian cat godess Bastet with the big ears and the regal bowling pin stance. Desert sands (her surname) came from her colouring that looked like the sands of the deserts here in the morning - that lovely pale pink. Her other breeder name Argyle princess came from the same thing too except Argyle being the name of a pink diamond.

So Argyle Princess Bastet DesertSands fits her perfectly!

And doesn't she know it!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Amber = from her orange fur and amber eyes
    Ashley = just liked the name
    Biddy White Whiskers = he came with the name Biddy but his white whiskers on a black face was so stiking that we added that.
    Calvin = no reason. But it took the most soul searching than for any other name
    Fern = after a friend
    Jasper = after the Jasper NASCAR racing team
    Jim = after my dear friend's dad
    Kim = after my BEST friend who recently died
    Lucas = from the TV show Seaquest. (character Lucas Wolenczac)
    Monte Crisco = came with the Monte but added Crisco (sic) due to his white color
    Rutherford B. Hayes = after a girl friend Ruth, but needed a boys name. The "B" stands for blooper, which is what he does to get attention
    Sterling = from his silver coloring (it is more easily seen in person than in photos)
    Willow = came with that name because he was found in a tree.

Sydney : because his mommy was called Darwin , another Australian city
    Maya : she looked so sweet and made me think of another pet I know
    Inka : my daughter choose this name , because "the Inca's" and "the Maya's" are both Indian tribes
    Jasper : after a cat we had seen at the shelter where we found Maya
    Billie : was named after the cat of a teacher my daughter had
    Diamond : one of our sturgeons is named that way because he(or she) is a diamond-sturgeon

You'll never guess! KITTY!
    I Cheer
    I Bump, Set, & Spike
    I Freethrow

GO FIGHT WIN!

or in the words of Cataholic:
    Go, Fight, Win the Lottery!

Sincerly signed a very Spirited Cheerleader!