Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I need PT PRAYERS for BRODIE!!! *FINALLY MONDAY*

Good news! I hope Brodie will get better and better!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten
    What are Tidy Cats Crystals? A litter? And he ate those??? So he may have poisoned himself with those? Poor boy, but at least you would know what's the cause, and you can do something against it.
    Kirsten
    The crystals are silica gel, which I think is the stuff that comes in packets to keep things like Japanese rice crackers dry. I just remember that the packet always says it shouldn't be opened and the contents are harmful. But if there is no blockage, that rules out silica gel sitting in his digestive tract, absorbing moisture and enlarging itself. So, perhaps the chemical composition has irritated his tract? I'm very glad your vet is going to check out the ingredients. Also, she can call the company (Nestle) and get more information out of them.

I always take in a special blanket if my cats have to stay, though I usually fight against that. Sometimes I've put on a clean sweater for my drive to the vet and then taken it off there to put in the cage.

I printed off a bunch of info on the Tidy Cats Crystals for the vet today. Just in case it will help. The Tidy Cat's web page & Nestle page weren't very helpful as far as the ingredients but I did find this:

Household Products Database

I took her all that info. Not sure if the litter IS for sure the culprit, but I'm just trying to do my part to help.

By the way, we are doing a full litter change this weekend. No more crystals in this house. Did I already mention that?
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten
    What are Tidy Cats Crystals? A litter? And he ate those??? So he may have poisoned himself with those? Poor boy, but at least you would know what's the cause, and you can do something against it.
    Kirsten: Yes, it is a type of litter. You can use it alone or as a deodorizer (which is how we used it) Anyway, yes, we caught him eating it several times. When we first added it to the litter, he dove in face first and got a mouth full. Of course we tried to get it all out but who knows how much more he ate after that.

Anyway, we aren't absolutely for sure that the litter is what's making him sick, but it's definitely a possibility. Just something we thought about last night while brainstorming what all he could have ate to make him this sick.
    -christa

Anyway, we aren't absolutely for sure that the litter is what's making him sick, but it's definitely a possibility.

Yes, I think it could be. If it's also a deodorizer, it most likely contains chemicals. Strange that Brody eats it, but we all know that some cats have funny preferences.

Kirsten

You have to examine every possiability and that could be one. I'd really be interested in what the vet thinks after she checks it out. I am so glad he was happy to see his Mommie! Yes, he needs to know you haven't abondoned him by seeing him as often as you can and it will give BOTH of you assurances that the other is alright. Hang in there girl! ((((HUGS)))))

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

This is good news about Brodie not having to have surgery!!!! I was reading the posts about him eating the Tidy Cat crystal litter. I am just wondering if Brodie ate enough of them to irritate his GI tract, thus causing the vomiting, which would lead to dehydration, temp, and loss of electrolytes. So keeping him at the vet for fluids might help to make Brodie feel better!!!
    We used the Tidy Cat crystal litter in the past. It helped me figure out who had the UTI when I looked in the litter box and saw RED(blood)crystals. Then the cats decided they did not like it, so back to basics!!!
    Will keep prayers heading out to Brodie(and some for you, too).
    Nine is Fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by kb2yjx
    I am just wondering if Brodie ate enough of them to irritate his GI tract, thus causing the vomiting, which would lead to dehydration, temp, and loss of electrolytes. So keeping him at the vet for fluids might help to make Brodie feel better!!!........
    Will keep prayers heading out to Brodie(and some for you, too).
    I am hoping that this is the case . . . if so, smack my hands. I should have stopped using the stuff as soon as I saw his "hunger" for it. I'm smacking myself for that one.

And thanks for the ongoing prayers & thoughts. We really need it and do appreciate it.
    -christa

I found this startling fact on World's Best Cat Litter web page

"SILICA CAT LITTER

Silica gel litter is made from silica dioxide sand (the same material found in quartz), oxygen and water. The gel contains millions of tiny pores that can absorb up to 40 times their weight in moisture. It comes in spheres (also called “pearls”), half spheres and crystal shapes. Some manufacturers add dyes and scents, so you want to watch out for, and avoid, those. The most worrying part of silica is that it is a well known carcinogen (a substance that promotes cancer).

Crystals are silica which is a known carcinogen.

Not compostable or bio-degradable. "

Scary, huh???
    -christa

I am SO RELIEVED to read that Brodie doesn't have a blockage or need surgery! Thank GOD! It sure would be great, if it was only the litter issue! THAT would be pretty easy to remedy! Keep us updated and give that little smock shredder a hug from me!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Christa - I am really glad to read that Brodie does not have blocked intestines and that he does not need surgery.

That is really curious that he wanted to eat the crystals. ( sorry but your "head first diving description made me laugh ) And, you may be just right in checking out that possibility that it is the reason he got sick. I have seen the Tidy Cat Crystals at the grocery and wanted to try sprinkling them in with the litter here - now I will not try it of course. My Fresh Step does have some green and blue speckles.....hmmmmm

I bet that a few days at the vet and lots of fluids - will help Brodie feel MUCH better and you will have your healthy baby back soon - maybe even tomorrow

Crystals are silica which is a known carcinogen.

Not compostable or bio-degradable. "

Scary indeed! Wouldn't surprise me if he got sick from those!

How is Brody doing today? Any news?

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed
    My Fresh Step does have some green and blue speckles.....hmmmmm
    We use Fresh Step too and will probably continue to use it. From what I've read, the dangers in those specks are to cats and especially *kittens* breathing in the silicia dust. It gets into their lungs and causes problems. BUT there's been a lot of research and arguments for and against it . . . it's been an issue evidently . . . and like I said, I bought 2 more boxes of Fresh Step to do a litter box change today, so I'm just going to stay with it for now. The crystals are just so much larger than the tiny pieces in regular litter, you know? They hold so much more moisture.

I haven't talked to the vet about the litter YET but hopefully will get a chance to today. I can't wait to see what she thinks about it. Just makes sense to me. The timeline & everything.

We're going to see him at 11. I will update again after that. Wish I could bring him home today. But I know that if he needs another day of fluids, that is what he needs.
    -christa

Poor Brodie.I'll send extra prayers for his speedy recovery.I know how much you love this little guy.I hope he feels better soon.

Thank You Kim for this wonderful siggy

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power ,the world will know peace" jimi hendrix

Saturday Update

Sorry I'm just getting around to updating you all.

We went and saw Brodie at 11 this morning. He was a handfull.

First of all, they asked if *I* would go get him out of the condo because he was not a happy camper and I guess they thought I'd have better luck getting him out. When I walked up to the cage, he hissed at ME!!! I stuck my hand in, he sniffed and just fell over onto my arm. Poor baby.

We took him into the room and loved on him for probably half an hour. He was attention starved!!! He looked better than he did yesterday. Doc says his temp is normal again, although she said that she hasn't had much luck getting a thermometer up his butt.

Evidently it took FIVE people to do what needed to be done this morning. (when they gave him his fluids) . . . he was mad as a hornet by the time we got there.

Also, something I thought was funny, he PEE'ED on himself again!!! The doc thought that was strange since he has only been doing this when WE COME TO VISIT!!! So we have come to the conclusion that he's pee'ing on himself because he's excited to see us. Isn't that sad? Makes me want to cry.

He's there until Monday morning, at least. It's killing me!

He's got a really nice place to stay though. It's like a huge condo . . . sectioned off with a place for his blanket and a place for his litterbox & a place for his food/water. Not just a little cage. That made me feel better. You'd think he was in a prison camp though!

Oh yeah, he also smacked at the vet while we were there too . . . little brat! LOL . . . she said she's seen worse though, and she also said that the strangest part is how he changes when we come. She says usually when they're mean like that at the vet, they're mean even when the owners come to visit. Brodie just changes personalities somehow. He's my little angel.

I can't wait to get him home . . . I just dread getting that pee smell out of his fur! He's stinky! Maybe Josie will help me.
    -christa