Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Please welcome Pirate to the Pack....New pic in #35

I wonder - you're giving Sleet DES for bladder control. It might work for Pirate also?

Such a heartwarming thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace
    I wonder - you're giving Sleet DES for bladder control. It might work for Pirate also?
    I hope so. She's off to the vet tomorrow morning. That's one of the things I want to talk to him about.

I suspect she has some spinal problems that are contributing to the problem. Spondylosis is very common in sled dogs(Sleet has it too). If she has a neurological problem in her lower spine, she may not be getting the "I have to pee" message. Anti-inflammtory medication and maybe some prednisone would help with that. I don't usually like to use too many meds, but with the seniors, I figure the benefits outweigh the risks.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Spondylosis occurs in nearly all old dogs, it just depends on whether it causes clinical symptoms. As with people, in a lot of cases it doesn't but most people over 40 have it to a degree but most wouldn't know.

There was a border collie lived just round from me and they lost him a couple of months ago. He had always had digestion problems but he took a turn for the worst. Turned out he had severe spondylosis and the calcified bone had grown downwards and caused his bowels to detach and collapse so his ability to control himself was non existent and he was in a lot of pain and the vet said his bowels could be expelled from his rectum at anytime. He was only 10 years old too. You wouldn't have been able to tell from looking at him beforehand. No roach back or anything like that and I used to see how he could still sprint after the ball when his owner threw it for him. Maybe the bone grew more downwards rather than upwards. In any case, they had to have him put down. Problem with spondylosis is that it just keeps growing and will grow back even if they operated to remove the horns of calcified bone that grow. I think in his case, the symptoms were a more worst case scenario for spondylosis. Most of the time, it wouldn't cause such massive problems.

That shot of Pirate sleeping reminds me of our Jess sleeping, lol. Our Jess still has her hearing but she sleeps that deep these days, she can sometimes scare you into thinking she's dead.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

What a beauty. Was she always deaf? I know in cats, the all white, blue eyed ones tend to be deaf and if a male, well, just about a given that it is deaf. I don't think that is true of dogs, though.

Such a time she has had, several homes, several times to the shelter. It's OK now, Pirate, your adventures are over and you can settle. (She doesn't really seem to have any trouble, settling though!)

You can see she is an older gal in the earlier photos. She has that thick neck area the older dogs get. You know to just learn to tap out Morse code on the floor for her, right? LOL.

People, GRRRR!!!

Dad always says, if he has to go to a nursing home at some point, as long as they care for the people as well as I care for the animals here it will be OK!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    Was she always deaf? I know in cats, the all white, blue eyed ones tend to be deaf and if a male, well, just about a given that it is deaf. I don't think that is true of dogs, though.

(She doesn't really seem to have any trouble, settling though!)

You know to just learn to tap out Morse code on the floor for her, right? LOL.
    No, I think the deafness is age related. If I remember correctly she could hear when she first came to the shelter. The white coat, blue eyes doesn't affect dogs the same way as cats. She wants to follow me around and stays pretty close. As long as I can get her to look at me, she seems to be able to figure out what I want from her.

She is pretty settled already, it seems. This morning she trotted right over to her little pen. She seems to be catching on to the routine quickly. She had some trouble getting out of her crate this morning, but once she got her feet under her, she was ok.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

What a terrible story. I'm so glad Pirate found such a great home with you though.

Bless you

for taking in this beautiful, gentle old soul.

I want to come back as a dog with people like you...someone with compassion and a forgiving heart for things that are sometimes beyond ones control.

Pirate, you are definitely safe with Glacier!

Tamara, you never cease to amaze me. You are truly and angel and bless you for taking in this lost soul. I have the utmost admiration for you and I really wish I could meet you someday. I know that my life would be richer for it. Are you sure you are hooman???

Welcome home Pirate! I wish you could know know what a wonderful home you have now. You will come to know love you've never felt before. You will finally know what it's like to never be yelled at and never be punished or ignored as you shiver in the cold. It just breaks my heart that you've been treated this way. Well no more dear boy!!! Enjoy the pampering that's coming your way.

**yet another thread that's given my LES**
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Pirate, I read on your mom's blog (http://wanderingspiritskennels.blogspot.com) that you had a Gotcha day! Happy 1-year Gotcha Day, sweetheart!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks for taking this sweet girl under your care. I don't understand people who can just throw animals away when it suits them.

Happy gotcha day, Pirate. She is so lucky to have you and your crew, Glacier..
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

awww she's a beautiful old gal!!!

This dog is verrry lucky to have you. She's gorgeous. I absolutely love snow dogs!!! ^.^
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Wow, its already been a whole year since Pirate arrived. My how times flies!
    Pirate is such a lucky girl to have landed in the bestest place in the Yukon!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)