Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are we feeding our dogs these days?

I feed my dogs Nutro Natural Recipe for large breeds. They love it and I like it. We're all happy with the choice.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

If you are happy with what you feed your dog that is fine. After all you are the one who has to make the final decision on what is best for your dog.

If you start to see things like excessive shedding, dull coat, hot spots, excessive scratching, constant ear infections, etc. it is possible the dog has a food related allergy. You may want to reinvestigate the possablility of what they are eating if you see these symptoms.

On that note, I just want to say that I will not respond to this thread anymore. Everyone is able to feed their dogs what they want. I was only offering advice and giving examples of certain ingredients that are known to cause problems in canines. Now the decision is each dog owners choice on what to feed. I have apologized for upsetting ShepherdLover. It was not my intention and I will not engage in any further debates in what to feed your dog.

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    I apologize for offending you. That was not my intention and I did not realize I was yelling. Please forgive me. I was just trying to understand why you would switch from pedigree to Iams ASAP.
    Thank you for apologizing. I feel that Iams is a good food for my dogs. I'm not sure if we can offord Eukanuba right now. Alot of dogs that are on Iams, look/act very healthy to me.

Thanks for apologizing, again!
    Becky Weise & the German Shepherd
    Iris Von Der Felzen Haus CD, CGC, 2 legs of NA
    Iris' Den

But if we ate McDonalds every day, we'd be REALLY REALLY unhealthy.

I am not criticizing anyone for any type of food they feed. I would just also like to say I've read about and researched Iams and found the same things Dixie was talking about.

Dixie - I appreciate your advice and links.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Well you are right about Mcdonalds but Leika hasn't shown yet any signs of allergies or anything that would have to do with Eukanuba. But you can't keep your dog feeding all these healthy and diet foods. 'cause everyone needs fat. It might be true that they have all these sort of things that look gross and is bad for us but maybe is not for our dogs. Anyways if I wanted to change the brand, I just couldn't 'cause at the moment in my country Eukanuba is the only dog food that provides extra vitamins and stuff for smaller breeds which makes the pellets smaller so Leika doesn't have any problems eating them.
    Puppies are a bundle of joy, dogs, are life's happiness.

I agree with Aly, if we eat healthy, then we should in any way we can feed our dog healthy food. I think Dixie was just stating her opinion just like everyone else, in fact just trying to give good advice, which I have listened to and respected as she has many years of experience. I really don't feel that she should apologize to anyone under the circumstances. Everyone is entitled to their say, that's what the board is here for.
    Jackie

We just switched from Iams to Senesible Choice about 3 weeks ago. The girls like it much better

Years ago I use to feed my dogs Wayne Dog Food now as Senesible Choice I hear....
    Rest in peace Princess Holly Bear...

Sadie eats Innova and LOVES it. Once she started getting older I figured I'd look into the best food choices to get rid of preservatives and by-products that might be ultimately harmful to her health - it's more preventive since I would not be able to afford cancer treatment or something like that, I can only hope it helps but will never really know!!

I made a web page from my research: pet nutrition

I give my dogs pedigree!

I was just re-reading this whole message thread and it has been very informative. Sometimes, emails and message boards are tough because the tone we "read" might be far from what the author intended it to be. I know I have reacted to posts directed at me, here and on other boards, negatively, and allowed my feelings to be hurt. Perhaps I jumped to conclusions. In fact, I re-read something I wrote on another topic yesterday, and decided to delete it (better late than never, I guess ). I had spurted out my dismay in haste and when I saw it again, I thought "OH, LOGAN, that sounds terrible!". I'm glad you guys got it all straightened out.

As for the food subject, we have achieved what we wanted to with Honey and Lilly's diet, using the Iams Weight Control. My plan was to keep them on it for maintenance, and work on getting those last few pounds off of Lilly. Honey has other plans. She refuses to eat it now. I've noticed her leaving it in the bowl and finally eating it as a last resort in recent weeks. I think it is time to start introducing them to something else, but carefully this time. My friend, who also has a Golden Retriever, is using California Natural with great success. Abbey has had terrible skin problems, constantly itching, pulling out her hair, has been on prednisone off and on for two years, but never got better. One month ago, they changed to this food. Miraculously, no more itching and Kim says that her coat is more beautiful than it has ever been. I'm going to do some more research and then hopefully find the right thing for them. I'll keep you posted!

Logan

Most food brands have this ingridient that makes pet allergic to it and start scratching and all. I think if eukanuba is really bad for our pets then why do they sell it?

Originally posted by mary_jsn
    Most food brands have this ingridient that makes pet allergic to it and start scratching and all. I think if eukanuba is really bad for our pets then why do they sell it?
    Mary, it's fine that you feed your dogs what you feed them, and that goes for everyone. I think this post got a bit heated, but most everyone seems to be level headed about it. It was nice of Candy to appologize, even though I honestly don't think she meant to hurt feelings. I am not trying to get the debate going again, but Hostess cupcakes and cigerettes and potato chips and soda pop and donouts and candy corn and McDonalds, and all the other unhealthy foods/stimulants that are being sold DAILY, are not at all good for humans but yet they still sell that stuff SO MUCH! Just because one food is not healthy, does not mean the manufacturer will stop selling it. Food sells because people buy, regardless of it's health benefits. If the world suddenly converted to a fully healthy diet, that junk would not sell. That's the only way unhealthy foods will stop selling...if people stop buying!

I was at Walmart yesterday and I happen to browse their pet department and saw a huge bag (it looked to be 50 pounds) of the cheapest dog food I have ever seen. It was less then $10.00 for all that food and the ingredients were not good at all, but at least that shopper was buying food instead of letting his dog starve. Although it's hard to see such bad foods out on the market, they are far better then NO food. The guy buying that bulk, no-name brand of dog food loved his dog enough to make a trip to the store to buy it a great big bag of food.

Ok, I'll shut up now You know what I mean.

Ok, thanks. I guess you are right. But I still can't believe that Iams thing even though my vet recommended it to me.

Many people recommend Iams, Mary. Its just an individual choice...one that until recently, my dogs did fine with. Honey is just being finnicky, so as usual, I'm going to work hard to make her happy and find something else!