Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: small Dogs to BIG Dogs

As much as I love the pug, I like a dog to be able to keep up when I jog, or a dog that will be able to defend itself if confronted with a not-so-nice dog. I adore my pug, don't get me wrong, but I have to take her and my other dog for slower, shorter walk because she's not the most energetic thing, then I take her home and do another walk (faster and longer) with my aussie. I love to dress her up in her sweater and hold her little body in my arms but she is more like a toy then she is a dog. It really is just a matter of opinion, I adore her and I enjoy her wonderful little sense of humor, but I REALLY like to be able to take long, swift walks and jogs and I like camping and hiking and I like my dog to join me. I would never take her jogging, she'd kill herself trying to keep up and I would never take her camping, she's like a Krispy Kreme to preditors. She's more of a doll, or a toy then a dog. I love to have my athletic aussie for walks by my side, and I love to come home to my happy little clown toy. I may even get another pug in the far future when my pug is gone but I will always have a big dog to stand by my side.

Hi again,
    I agree that most pugs have lovely personalities but, apart from the way some of them are treated, the main thing I have aganst them is that they are pugs! Even if they do not have a medical condition that is treated by a vet a very large proportion of these dogs suffer during their lives. The very idea that an animal descended from the wolf hasn't got the breathing capability or the legs to jog with it's owner is, well, I will be thrown off this site if I say what I really think!!!!!!!

Definitely big dogs. I agree small dogs are more like toys than actual...well, you know, *dogs*!! When I think of a dog, a big one always comes to mind...they are sweet, brilliant, fun, and just overall companions...you can take them for walks, take them camping, and when you hug them...well, it's just heaven :=) !! You can't truly hug a small dog (I know this cause my roomate has 2 chihuahuas). You can cuddle them, but you can't truly hug them...big dogs rule :=) !!!

P.S. I respect anyone who thinks differently, but...I especially *can't* stand Daschunds. To me they are *the* most annoying creatures...Shih-Tzus and Yorkies are adorable little furballs, though :=)

SummerSkkye, I used to have a whole list of breeds that I couldn't understand why anyone would want, until I started visiting Dog of the Day and getting to know an individual dog of those breeds as described by their person. Now the Dachshund, Basset Hound, Greyhound, Bulldog, Great Dane, Chihuahua, have all had to be scratched from my "list". Go back through the archives of Dog of the Day and I bet you will find a completely irresistible Dachshund. Cocker Spaniels never appealed to me and now I OWN one and am COMPLETELY smitten. Be careful what you don't like, that particular little critter may steal your heart one day.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited October 15, 2000).]

Originally posted by SheltieLover234:
    [B]I like Big dogs better because with small dogs you might trip on them >>>>>>>

We have both small and large dogs.
    I feel much safer with my large dogs
    around, but small dogs are much
    easier to travel with because of their
    size.
    You can carry them into stores and they
    do not take up much room.
    I think what ever size Dog you have,
    they are full of love and companionship.

------------------
    ---<--<-<({@ ---<--<-<({@

I haven't been on in a while but I go for big dogs.

My friend has a Jack Russel, but I love my bubbas to death
    The smallest dog I have is about 50lds. & I don't think I'd have a smaller dog than her.

I have to agree with Su.
    BIG DOGS KICK LIL DOG BUTTSS!!!!!!

BIG DOGS KICK LIL DOG BUTTSS!!!!!![/B][/QUOTE]>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>

Lets not sell little dogs short.
    Not all little dogs are cream puffs.
    I use to have a alpha 13 lb. Terrier (terror)
    that bossed my Akita around.

OK. I love big dogs, but that Bacon, Today's Dog of the Day, has to be the cutest thing!!

O.K., I could have a "pocket pup" like Bacon as long as I have my "real" dogs!! (2 GSDs)
    Su, Killian and Shiloh

Originally posted by KYS:
    I think what ever size Dog you have, they are full of love and companionship.
    Everyone has their favorites and preferences, but KYS is right. Can't you agree with that?

[This message has been edited by Rottie (edited October 17, 2000).]

Personally, I wish I could have several of each, but let's not forget the "mejiums". They are just the right size to sleep in your bed without being crushed when you flip over and although they may not be able to overpower an intruder, they can give him a really hard time. They can outlast me on a run and still sit on my lap. Here's to the 25 - 30 pounders who live with me.

You go, Rachel!!! How could we forget the medium sized dogs? I had a perfectly wonderful 35 pound Cocker Spaniel for over 5 years and she was the BEST dog I have ever owned. We adopted Kaycee when I she was 7 years old and kept her and loved her until we had to make the decision to euthanize her at age 12, due to conjestive heart failure. I think we love whatever we have!!!!

I also agree with Rachael I wish I could have several of each then I could run with one and cuddle with one

[This message has been edited by SheltieLover234 (edited October 22, 2000).]

Originally posted by Rottie:
    Everyone has their favorites and preferences, but KYS is right. Can't you agree with that?

[This message has been edited by Rottie (edited October 17, 2000).]
    You go Rottie your exactly right.Everyone should agree with Rottie too.

[This message has been edited by SheltieLover234 (edited October 26, 2000).]

Big Dogs- are good for walking,running,playing,grooming(if you like that sort if thing),hugging

Small-are good for cuddiling,holding,traveling,small houses

So big dogs have some better traits than small dogs and small dogs have some better traits than big dogs.