Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are the Amish?

our visit to an Amish community

They have always fascinated me as well. Many mainline Christians will likely view them as a cult or at least as an extremely fundamentalist sect. That is what I hear anyway. I don't know and believe it is all a matter of semantics.

I wanted to share a bit of what hubby and I very briefly experienced among these people . Several years ago, after my husband and I left our Lutheran church and were very disillusioned about church, faith, etc....traveled up to Berlin, Ohio to spend some time. While Berlin itself is largely a tourist area, I think we were able to experience a bit more than what a casual visitor might see. We made friends with a young Mennonite woman who worked as a housekeeper at the inn where we stayed. We told her of our desire to learn about Amish church without wanting to intrude or exploit the people in any way. She put us in contact with an older husband and wife who were members of the Old Order Amish. I know that the Amish groups vary widely - living according to the rules of their particular order. "Old Order" is supposed to be as fundamentally unchanged as possible. This old couple welcomed us and welcomed our questions. They got permission from their church bishops to allow us to visit their Sunday preaching service and we were even invited to a meal afterwards. I believe this was a rather unique opportunity to be among them in a way that they did not feel invaded. From all that I understand, they avoid visitors because they are so often gawked at, etc. Folks visit the area and try to take pictures.

The home that hosted the service that weekend we attended lived in a beautiful large farmhouse. Our host family explained to us that they met for "church" every other Sunday and took turns meeting in the larger homes of members. The house had been meticulously cleaned and prepared to receive the members on that particular Sunday. They did have indoor plumbing that was worked by the use of a water wheel that had been built next to the house. Maybe a gravity-type thing? The kitchen had refrigeration and power that was run by - I believe an oil or propane source. They explained it to us - I know that there was no electricity. They did have a cellphone also. The rooms were lit with oil lamps. The furniture was simple but attractive. The windows had the green shades and white curtains that were pulled to the side and draped over pegs. The husband liked to do woodwork and the yard was decorated with windmills that he had made. I believe he sold these as a business.

We entered the building (their basement) through separate doors for women and men. Each sex also sat on separate sides of the room on long wooden benches that had no backs.

The service itself was at least 3 hours long. Everything was in German. Dennis and I understand German fairly well and were able to follow along with the singing and preaching which were "High German", but not the conversation. That was something of a mix between German and English - the "Pennsylvania Dutch". They spoke English to us. We had learned that most of the women do not understand High German either - only some of the men. I wondered how the women were supposed to take part in the service and we were told that their husbands were responsible for teaching them what they needed to know. The service began with an hour of hymn singing. Most folks knew the words but I followed along in a hymnal. Every hymn was sung to the same melody - very slow and not really even a melody exactly. Then came the preaching. Three different preachers spoke for maybe 45 minutes each.

Then came the meal. The men set up long tables and then went outside to talk. I helped the women set out dishes, fill glasses with water and lemonade, and set out the meal. There were huge platters of simple foods such as pickles, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, breads, baked sweets and some lunchmeats. The women explained that they usually did not have meats served but that today was "special". We all sat, again - men on one side and women on the other, and enjoyed the meal.

The younger women seemed very happy to have me there and spent most of the time asking ME questions They were very curious about how I lived, what I did and if my life was really like things they had heard. I loved talking with them and playing with the many babies. The older women (older than me anyway) stood mostly aside and seemed content watching, smiling and nodding at me. I guess we were quite the curiosity that day. Our host told us that they had never had an "english" visitor at their services before.

We had some time later in the afternoon to talk with our hosts. While they treated us very warmly, their two teenage children seemed rather sullen and unhappy to have us there. I did not really understand that. The son stared at us and grunted out a brief greeting to us when we met him. The older daughter seemed quite curious about us and watched us along with a friend of hers. The parents told us that they were unhappy because this daughter was rejecting the Old Order and attending a New Order. They felt she had become too liberal. From our observation and in speaking with her - she still wore the "plain" clothing and was making plans to leave soon on a mission trip with her new church. I thought it rather odd that she wore her long hair loose at the house - in front of Dennis. She first came out to meet us while wearing only a white nightdress. Likely these are some of the things that hurt her parents - the lack of modesty.

It was a very interesting visit to this part of Ohio. I loved our time there and felt very welcome and cared for. What I saw agreed with much of what I had already learned from my reading. The lifestyle is romanticised a great deal. I know I could never live that way but I have to admire anyone who lives with hardship to uphold their convictions. Well, just a bit about our personal experience - I thought this might be interesting to some of you here. Our visit was a refreshing escape from our usual life.

Shipshewana, IN is also almost all Amish...

We have a lot of Amish on the eastern side of our county in IN and they are in the county directly south of us and then of course in LaGrange, and Elkhart Co, IN. They live in other counties, but those are the heaviest populated.

The Menonites are a much more liberal group than the Amish, but, are still much more conservative....like for instance some sects can only drive black cars and the women wear the white bonnets.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

It's interesting you selected religioustolerance.org as a source. I checked that out after finding it on Google. I didn't realize how many "flavors" of Amish there were. I am concerned for their future because of the limited size of the community. The Lancaster County Amish came from 200 original settlers.

There is much to admire and ponder. There is also much that I disagree with, being the rabid feminist liberal pagan I am!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

The Menonites are a much more liberal group than the Amish, but, are still much more conservative....like for instance some sects can only drive black cars and the women wear the white bonnets.

The Mennonite women here do wear the white bonnets. Also, they wear long dress everyday. I have never seen any of the ladies in pants. We have a lot of Mennonite neighbors. They have boughten as much land and houses as they can right beside one another...

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

What an interesting account Debbie. As Lancaster, PA is about 90 mins. from me we have gone there often. This is also an area that has an abundance of Outlet Stores for those of us who live material lives that I am sure they can't even imagine. The only thing I could think to add is in regarding their dress. They do not use buttons on their clothing, although I don't know why. The area away from the Outlets is just beautiful rolling farmland and their farms are meticulously kept.

The look

The Amish areas always look so tidy and homey. Their lives are different. They are not big on baths. They wash, just not as often as we do. Since they don't have "running water" like most of us do, the bath is done differently and not so often!

I had dated an oral surgeon years ago and he had done research on the Amish community and clef palates/hair lips. It was interesting. They also have a high rate on retardation in their community. Well, I am not an authority on this topic so I am going to stop.

I think the Web site Sarah left for us will be useful to all.

Thanks again Sarah.

Thanks so much everyone for explaining and for the links. This is very interesting.

Sirrahbed, thanks for telling about your experience. Wow. Makes me want to go and meet some Amish people. I find it amazing, and would love to experience a bit of their old/country-style living someday. I've always been a city girl and doubt I could ever live such a life, but it would be interesting to experience it for a day or two sometime. I used to dream of living on a farm, as a child, and having all sorts of animals around me. Now when I think of it, I imagine it would be a hard life, but it would still be nice to experience a different lifestyle, different people. Do these people tend to follow the Bible more closely than other Christian sects? Some of their beliefs seem similar to my own, but others are just sooo different...and some rather strange.

Oh...I think someone mentioned they don't use modern toilets... If they don't use modern toilets, 'what' do they use?? Do they use those 'floor toilets' people have in older homes, in other countries? Or is it something even 'older'? After all...'floor toilets' do flush normally...they're just on the ground.
    Last edited by popcornbird; 10-04-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Awhile back Oprah had some Amish kids on her show. Some of the stuff they said about them was wild. Not good things I might add. They put the teenage kids out into the real world at 16. The kids then decide if they want to live in the world or go back to the Amish ways. Of course, the kids had no clue about the real world. So many of them got into drinking and drugs. It was a very intresting show.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

9. A few years back I spent alot of time in Shipshewana and Nappanee. And a town called Arthur in Illinois that is also heavily Amish. I enjoyed it as I had such good memories from books I had read. But it is true that hygiene standards are not always what we are accustomed to and this sometimes creates conflict (as when their children attend English schools.) It is a peacful life but not always easy...especially for the girls. And if you leave the life you are shunned by your family.

I am very envious Deb, of your up close and personal experience!

When I was on vacation in eastern Washington, my dad was driving around and found a amish type place. All I can really remember that he told me is that they gave him dirty looks. I think I will have to call him tonight and ask him about it.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

I hadn't actually heard of them before the tragedy, but I have to admit that I find fascinating the way they live. I'm checking all the links posted now.
    Lola, the mutt, 2 years old

Anita, the dachshund, 7 years old

I have known about the Amish since I was around 8. One time I saw a whole group of Amish people walk onto a bus I was on. They rarely use this kind of transportation, so I was wondering why they were on the bus. My uncle and I talked to them for awhile, mostly asking about there lifestyle and they were very nice and happy to tell us about it. People like us rarely are welcomed into their community, simply because of that very reason. They are trying to avoid violence at all costs. It's really sad and awful what happened to them.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I think we have Amish people living about 45 min away from me(In Indiana). There's this place called Amish Acres and you can go and see what Amish life is like there. It's really cool, I love visiting. Plus they have FANTASTIC food!
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

I know they have some amish around Springfeild, MO.... in Seymore, maybe?
    When I visit my aunt in springfeild, we usually see them with their horse-drawn buggies along the highway a little outside of the city.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    One of the best TV shows I saw in the recent past was last year's "Amish in the City." I know it was a take-off on all the reality shows, but it really was well done and gave a peek into the lives of the Amish people. I learned a lot by watching that show and have a lot of respect for the lifestyle they live, given the world we live in today. They are amazing people.

I wish Imagestation would find my signature pic! GRRRR

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10