View Poll Results: Are any of your pets microchipped?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, All of my furkids are microchipped.

20 32.79%
  • Some of my furkids are microchipped.

18 29.51%
  • None of my furkids are microchipped.

23 37.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microchips?

None of my dogs are microchipped. My vet just started doing microchipping last year, but he charges like $75 a dog! I can get it for cheaper at the vet in the next town I just haven't. Beanie is getting old enough he's not gonna wonder off and Chloe would probably die if she ever lost sight of me. They both have rabies and ID tags as identification.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Tandem is chipped. Honestly I would have tattooed both pups except that stupid CKC never gave me my number in time. I waited for weeks for that number and my pups were 7 weeks old before they finally issued it, so I opted for microchips (as holding down a squirming puppy to get tattooed is not fun unless you put them under which I wasn't about to do). $50 per chip as opposed to $10 per tattoo... I could have died after what this litter already cost me. But they are chipped, I made sure the chips were recognised by CKC, so I guess that is all that matters. Visa is tattooed.
    I've been BOO'd!

How does a tattoo work? Is there a central database or something that links the number to the owner?
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Sage is chipped, but my other two are not.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

I am surprised at the number of animals not chipped on PT . By law they have to be chipped here before being sold/ rehomed, be it through a shelter, breeder, BYB or shop.

Realy even the most well behaved animal could easily get a fright and take off, is it worth not chipping them.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

From a previous (1/2009) thread on the subject of MicroChipping >>>

Quote:

Most vets have scanners available to read the most common systems out there:

There are also local microchip companies, which service a set geographic region.
    Only vets in that area are going to have scanners which can read the chip.

- changing companies, find a vet who will use the microchip of the company you want,
    and have a new microchip injected. Then register it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not a universal truth that "most vets" have scanner/readers!
    Vets in SOME areas of the USA and Canada do have one or two of the MANY
    brands and types of scanner/readers; but MANY areas, and some whole states,
    do NOT have Vets, Shelters, nor Rescues that can read microchips!

Before spending money on microchipping a pet, make some phone calls to
    area Vets, Shelters, and especially Animal Control - and ASK if they have
    a scanner/reader and if they USE IT on all stray dogs and cats.
    Unless a majority of the institutions have and USE a scanner/reader, the
    probability of a lost pet being returned because of a microchip being detected
    is pretty small.

As for having a "second" microchip inserted into a pet ...
    I think that might cause some real problems!
    If the microchips are similar in design and operating frequency, the TWO chips
    might interfere with each other and give a meaningless indication on the
    reader/scanner.

Lastly, here's a very lengthy discussion of the pros & cons of microchipping -
    a must study for anyone who has or is thinking of purchasing pet microchips.

"Microchips & Your Pet" >>> http://home.att.net/~rfid/pet-chip.htm

/s/ Phred

Quote Originally Posted by cloverfdx View Post
    I am surprised at the number of animals not chipped on PT . By law they have to be chipped here before being sold/ rehomed, be it through a shelter, breeder, BYB or shop.

Realy even the most well behaved animal could easily get a fright and take off, is it worth not chipping them.
    I think in North America it's probably alot different -- up here there are SO many different kinds of chips, and most vets do not have universal readers so most times a chip can not be detected or read. For instance, my female puppy that just went to the states. The vet that chipped my pups messed up and wrote "black male" on both papers so, having a 5/50 chance, I sent the papers and tag for one chip, and the owner's vet confirmed that it was the right one. However the pup just went to a new vet last week, and she tried with three different scanners to detct a chip -- two of them could not scan or detect it, and the last one could detect it but couldn't read it. In my opinion chips are useless. If CKC would have sent me my tattoo series in time like they should have, they would have been tattooed (and I would have paid $20 instead of over $100!!)

A friend of mine had a litter two years ago and one of the owners insisted on a certain kind of chip. So she chipped the pups with this special chip she wanted. Then she discovered that CKC would not accept this chip as a means of identification. So she had to rechip the dogs that were local and available for her to rechip. Now CKC won't let her register these dogs because they know she sold them before she re-chipped them. Pain in the butt, I much prefer tattoos, readable by anyone whether it's a shelter or just a normal person who found your dog, and MUCH less expensive! I pay $10 each for tattoos.
    I've been BOO'd!

Quote Originally Posted by cloverfdx View Post

Even though Layla and Jake are chipped, it doesn't make me feel all that safe. Layla got her chip at my vets and Jake from our shelter, two different companies. Both can be read by my vets scanner, we checked them. But what if one of them were lost and whoever tried to read the chips couldn't because their scanner wouldn't read it?
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Nope,Zippy and Pumpkin don't have microchips.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Sassy did not have a chip; Mikey DOES have a chip, which is good because he would run at the chance.

When Rita got spayed in 07', we got her chipped.
    Sadie is not.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I see this was an older poll thread that I already voted in (voted no pets chipped). I guess I never put in a post explaining why.

In my area; some of the vets, some of the humane societies, and NONE of the animal control offices will scan cats!! I don't see why dogs get preferential treatment in this area.

I'm not going to pay that money for 7 cats, put them through being tranquillized, poked, then 3 days of hissing at each other just to not have them be scanned if they are picked up anyways.

Until every area of animal handling scans every single animal, I'm not changing my position on it.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Heidi is microchipped. When i had Heidi microchipped it took me FOREVER to get my parents to let me do it ( i was still underage at the time) because of their religious beliefs. I am very glad that she is though. I feel a bit safer with her chipped.

mine are

Both of my cats are microchiped. Its required for us to have our pets microchiped to live on a miltary post. Not only do they have microchips but they have tags on there collars stateing which company its from!! ours is from HomeAgain pet recovey service

Phoenix, Penny, Orion & Highway are all chipped as are all 3 of my roommates cats. Phoenix is done thru AVID and everyone else is thru 24HourPetWatch. After having my last three APBT's stolen from me, I told myself when I got more animals they would all be chipped and I am ok with tatttoing also as sometimes the chips move or scanners can not read, I will check into with my vet though, I know he does it. My little show girl is the only one who is not done and she will be asap