Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else have shelter purebreds?

Bob and Joey

Catdad first what is a PM? Is it a private mail? You sound like a great parent. I have lots and lots of stories about my guys also. But I don't think many want to hear them. I have had Maine Coons for 7 1/2 years but I have always had cats in my life. Even as a little girl. Boy I can remember that far back..... LOL!! Cats are a comfort and stress release for me. They ask nothing except a clean litter box and food. And of course to be worshipped. but what they give in return is priceless.

My cats names are in order they arrived here are.
    Jezabelle
    G. Louise aka Weezie
    Dixie Blaze
    Mason
    Chino
    Tyler
    Moses
    Penny Lane
    Eleanor Rigby aka Ele`
    Whisper aka Mudge now at the rainbow bridge
    Jaxon
    Chinni
    Smokey Jo
    P.B. Baby
    Big Red
    Charlie Parker
    Suzee Q aka "Q"
    Sanuye
    and coming
    Cathan aka Catie

and me Stella
    picture is of Mudge and her daughter Smokey Jo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As promised, a post on Joey. Ok, so it is a little late.

I know I left alot out of the bob Post, but I really had to stop.

The Joey description will be a little shorter, not because she is any less special, but because I know less aobut her.

I do not know what mix of breeds that Joey is. She has to have some Maine Coon in her. Beyond that I do not know. I do knwo that she has some of the softest fur that I have ever felt. Bob is soft and he is really fluffy. However, Joey blows him away in softness department, it s like silk. Joey was a feral that was rescued by the shelter that I got her from when she was a kitten, they think she was a kitten anyway. Well she spent the first two years at the shelter, and then a couple adopted her and she spent a year and a half or so under there bed. Not abused, just was not the right environment for her. So back to the shelter, where she was cared for until she was about 5, and we adopted her. Like I said she is a feral, so her personality is a little hard to judge because she is so skittish. She is warming up, but it will just take time. I think Joey has it in her to be a real loving cat. She is very active and curious, not like Bob at all at least in the active part.

Ok, I know that is not much, sorry. If you have some specific questions, please let me know.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Hi Sirrahved,

I found some good theories on the history of Maine Coons, Sorry it took so long.

There are many theories and legends as to how the Maine Coon originated. The most legendary myth is the breeding of a domestic house cat and a Raccoon! This of course is not true and physically impossible.

The more popular and probable of the theories regarding the Maine Coon are:

1. Marie Antoinette, Queen of France smuggled all her royal treasures on to a ship including her six longhaired cats to be shipped to Wiscasset, Maine during the French Revolution and she was to follow. Her royal treasures and cats arrived in Maine but unfortunately Marie Antoinette did not. The theory is that her six cats bred with domestic house cats to produce the Maine Coon Cat.

2. Another theory that is popular is the breeding of a domestic house cat with a small wild cat (bobcat or a lynx). This is one of the reasons many people feel the Maine Coon cat looks similar to the lynx or bobcat.

The first recorded mention of the Maine Coon Cat was a black and white cat in 1861, the Maine Coon was popular from 1861 up until 1895. Slowly the Maine Coon Cat began disappearing in the ranks of registries. The Maine Coon began showing in the AOV class (Any other variety or miscellaneous category). The Central Maine Coon Cat Club (CMCC) began in 1953 to increase the popularity of the breed by showcasing it to the public. (CMCC) held their first show on June 21, 1953. The show was a huge success and recognition of the Maine Coon Cat grew to more shows and considerably more entries. (CMCC) had to decide if they wanted to become a large club or stop, they opted to stop.

In 1956, Dr. Racheal Salisbury a breeder and a judge had a standard drawn up to which the Maine Coon could be judged.

In 1968, the Maine Coon Breeder and Fanciers Association (MCBFA) was formed to bring public awareness up and have the breed accepted for championship status in all the registering associations. By 1976, all registering association accepted the Maine Coon Cat as championship status and popularity continues to grow about the Maine Coon.
    Bob & Joey,

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Thanks! I think they are a really interesting breed.
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

Your welcome.

What I should have done, had I been thinking about it, is post the links that I found. Sometimes I don't, think that is. It actually has some pretty good info:
    http://members.shaw.ca/mainecoon/history.html

The other one is:
    http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html

Enjoy
    Bob & Joey,

Maine Coons is a native cat of the U. S. and it beginnings are still a mystery and will always be. But they are a wonderful breed their pursonalities and looks are what I fell in love with. A big strong cat, with such a lovable pursonality. Their looks have not changed much over the years. They still have a muzzle, their boning is big, musle mass is well defined and they have a summer and winter coat that is easy to care for if you groom weekly. Some are lap kitties and some are not. Some are big goofs and some are very smart. Not all are huge I have a female that weighs only 8.5 pounds but has the best pursonality and all the features you look for in a Maine Coon. Her name is Weezie.
    She greets everyone who comes in the door. Weezie has to smell and sniff everyone several times. Most DLH must have part Maine Coon in them because the Maine Coon was an outside cat that developed in the what it is. A very sturdy, hardy cat. IMOA.
    But as always I love all cats, but the Coon is very specail to me.

Stella
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stella, I just went to your website, just loved it. Sounds like you are such a good mommy to all your babies.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Since my children are grown and out on their own, but they still call or visit me at work everyday, the cats have taken their place. Well, sort of, but I have the same values and ideas with them. To raise very healthy, social, and lovable kittens. I will not allow a kitten to leave my home, if sick, or very shy. I talk to the new parent to make sure I feel comfortable with them have them visit to be sure they know what they are getting into. Usually I know right away if some one is good for my kittens or not. I test my breeding stock for health issues yearly. The Vet's know me personally and know I will drop off a cat or kitten if something is wrong and I have to work. My Vet bill have been very large at times, because I my guy to be happy and healthy. But, I know when the cat is not going to get better and the quality of life is not going to get better and it is suffering.
    On my cattery cards it states:
    Look into the eyes of a kitten and see the love that is waiting for you. Our kittens are raise with our family (furry ones included) and with love. AND, already spoiled. for you!
    Stella
    R. P. Cathouse Web Site[IMG]http://[/IMG]
    Last edited by RP Cathouse; 11-21-2003 at 07:16 AM.

I have a friend who picked up an adult red Abyssinian at a shelter. The poor boy had been there six weeks with a sign on the cage saying "Orange Domestic Shorthair". He's super sweet and gentle and has adopted her two blue Aby kittens (cousins of Mango) and grooms them all the time.
    Randy