Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you allergic to?

Pollen...big time.

And only until recently, I haven't been able to take ibuprophen...last couple times I did, my face got itchy, didn't swell, but felt like I was getting an allergic reaction to it...was kinda scary.

That is about it, that I can think of now.

Quote Originally Posted by buckner
    Oh my Karen! So what exactly DO you eat?? What's an example of what you have for breakfast, lunch, and supper?
    LOL my thoughts exactly!!.......
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Allergies - Bees, wasps, hornets, etc. If I dont get the bee needle in time, then i can possibly die most horribly. I've been stung lots of times (they like to sting me, and will search me out in a group to bite), and the reactions are getting worse and worse. I was rock climbing and one bit me on the arm, just above the elbow - i tied it off with a piece of rope to get to the hospital, and my entire arm looked like someone took a rubber glove and blew it up all the way to my fingertips.

Sensitivities - Wheat, gluten, yeast (so, anything thats a bread) makes me feel unwell for days afterwards; shellfish like lobster, crab and oyseters will make me throw up about 2 hours afterwards (and its really disgusting, but it will come up the same way it went down, completely undigested -- i guess my body can't process it. i may as well be eating rocks), but thankfully no other reaction than that.

Wierd Other - Aspartame and artificial sweeteners. Instant migrane, i've had 1/2 my body go numb a couple of times after drinking a can of diet soda. So, I avoid those, since I like to be able to see straight, and not feel like theres gnomes in my head with pickaxes.

Not a thing. *knock on wood*

My mom developed an allergy to cats, dogs, pollen, and pine when she was 21.

Andy is allergic to some dogs, all cats, and Senna.

The latter was scary as I was with him when he had it. Half his body went numb, his tongue slightly swelled up and he couldn't talk.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
    Allergies - Bees, wasps, hornets, etc. If I dont get the bee needle in time, then i can possibly die most horribly. I've been stung lots of times (they like to sting me, and will search me out in a group to bite), and the reactions are getting worse and worse. I was rock climbing and one bit me on the arm, just above the elbow - i tied it off with a piece of rope to get to the hospital, and my entire arm looked like someone took a rubber glove and blew it up all the way to my fingertips.
    You DO carry an epi-pen, don't you? If you don't, you should, and should know how to use it.

Same for anyone who has a mouth-swelling-up reaction. I have one with me at all times because of my "tree-nut" (worst are almonds and pistachios) reaction. And, Blue_Frog, every "repeat exposure" means your reaction will be more extreme next time. Get yourself a prescription for an epi-pen!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    You DO carry an epi-pen, don't you? If you don't, you should, and should know how to use it.

Same for anyone who has a mouth-swelling-up reaction. I have one with me at all times because of my "tree-nut" (worst are almonds and pistachios) reaction. And, Blue_Frog, every "repeat exposure" means your reaction will be more extreme next time. Get yourself a prescription for an epi-pen!
    Yep - EpiPen = BeeNeedle ... I should have said that instead of bee-needle since thats what i generally call it I carry one in my purse all the time, and I know how to use it, but haven't yet. I've let people around me know how to use it just in case - usually a lot of antihistimes take care of stings on the extremities, but I have the pen in case i get stung around the chest/throat/head etc. Its pretty scary sometimes, especially since i love to spend time outside. stoopid wasps My mother has the same allergy, and has gone into anaphalactic shock before after a sting - we've had to use the pen on her before, and its a scary experience!

This usually gets a bit of a giggle, but I am allergic to dogs and cats. Straw darn near kills me. Filling the dog houses is not fun!

If it's outside, has leaves, flowers, drops pollen, I am allergic to it. The snow mould will be out in a few weeks. That's my cue to start taking my meds more. A large part of why I like winter so much is that the vast majority of my allergies disappear with the first snow. I rarely need medication in the winter.

I have a life threatening allergy to Aspirin. The rest are controlled with Reactine, Claritin, Flonase and some eye drops I can't recall the name of.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

apple juice

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    This usually gets a bit of a giggle, but I am allergic to dogs and cats.
    add me to the list of gigglers.......
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

10. Soft shell crab, penicillin, cats, rag weed, mold, mildew, etc, etc,. I consider claritan an miracle drug and keep benadyrl around. I have a new drug that is WONDERFUL but appallingly expensive! And we won't even talk about "contact dermatitis..."

The world can be a cruel place!

Dust - the best way I can find around it is to make my husband clean so I am not bothered by it Obviously that doesn't work well, so I am left sneezing a lot

Quote Originally Posted by buckner
    Oh my Karen! So what exactly DO you eat?? What's an example of what you have for breakfast, lunch, and supper?
    There's stuff I can eat - that many cannot.

So if I read ingredients labels, I can have my cereal for breakfast, with milk.

For the other meals, pasta, odd salads (lettuce is okay, arugula is okay, but no dressing with olive oil or garlic in them ...), pasta, some "okay-if-I-make-it-myself soup" and of course, I can have chicken, turkey, eggs, and piggie products for protien. Bread is okay if I make sure there's nothing "malt" in the ingredients - try reading bread labels for a kick - I have found a "whole wheat" kind and a "white bread" kind that are safe ... so sandwiches, or make-it-myself pizza, as bread and cheese are okay, too ...

Also, JenBKR, when I first got my allergies tested, the little spot for dust mites swelled and swelled and grew over the other spots around it and made the nurse go "Oh, my!" and draw it on the chart. Dr. Baillit - a sniffly old guy who has since retired - made recommendations about various things and then asked, "Who does the vacuuming?"
    "My husband ..." I said.
    "Oh, he's a good one, then. You should keep him!"

Not the only reason I've kept Paul, but it was funny to have a doctor's opinion on the matter!

dogs, cats, pollen, mold, dust. I am lactose intollerent but not allergic.

Niño & Eliza

I don't think I'm really allergic to anything, or that I know of. But, when I eat fresh peaches they give me a rash so I'm probably allergic to them. Nothing else that I can think of at the moment, so yeah, just peaches.
    Sparrabeth- Never say we Die!

No matter what Ted and Terry wrote, Jack and Liz love each other.

era liquid laundry detregent=hives, insect spray=bigger hives. dust makes me sneeze and snort.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.