Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum / Form - usage

Forum / Form - usage

OK, normally I don't point out peoples spelling or usage errors. However in the past 48 hours i have seen many posts online where different posters are using form when in fact they obviously meant to use forum.

Form can be a piece of paper where one can fill out information. Form can be a defined way or of something (dance or state of a solid object.)

A forum is a gathering of the minds usually for a political or public interest. (Thus why message boards are also called forums.) A place to share ideas. I.E. Roman Forum.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

You sometimes wonder about the new teaching methods they're so keen to use, don't you!

It seems a lot of people can't see the differnce from THEN and THAN either.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    It seems a lot of people can't see the differnce from THEN and THAN either.
    That one drives me insane!

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

My peeve is its/it's. I came up with a mnemonic for the possesive form: "his, hers, its." His and hers do not have an apostrophe, so neither should its.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I keep putting "form" for "from," but that is a typing thing. I get so irritated with myself sometimes, I just leave it. Guess I better proof read more often. Sorry for anyone who had to figure it out.

I can't stand run on sentences, and lack of capitalization and punctuation!

How about basic spelling and good grammar?? It kills me when I read posts that just make the person sound "under" educated. Maybe it's the way people hear things spoken, or maybe it's a common misperception about how a word is said, but it really drives me up a wall!

Grammatically, I am not the best, but I make an effort to have it correct!

If you use Firefox 2 it has an included spell-checker so when you type adress like that it corrects it to address.

My biggest Pet Peeve is the use of the word "alot" or "allot" People, people, people!! it is TWO words: A - LOT, please don't make it into one!!

Thank you, and I will step down now........
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Oh, don't get me started! .... "Noone" for no one (yes, it's two words too); and the there, they're, their debacle. Dose for does; its and it's; two, to and too and the lack of apostrophes drives me bonkers! Is it laziness, lack of education or a hangover from texting on cell phones? I don't know, but if I can't make out what you're trying to say (oh, there's another one - your and you're) I won't read or respond to your thread.

As for a spellchecker, for Internet Explorer there's iespell - http://www.iespell.com

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

The difference between "forum" and "form?" One letter.

My biggest pet peeve about spelling/grammar on this forum is how often people have to come out and be the spelling police. I think people honestly try to write sensibly. Typos happen, and sometimes even if you proofread your post they can slip by. I really don't understand why people equate spelling with intelligence.

How about a "Spelling Help" sticky? Then people who WANT to could post their questions there. (THERE'S another one! LOL)

I'd be happy to proofread a post for someone - PM me and I'll have a look!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prolly for probably.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedogsmom
    Prolly for probably.
    That's just slang, now, though, not so much a spelling error. Just my two cents on that one.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I think a lot of people who are used to text messaging use a lot of short forms, and don't really know the spelling of the entire word.

This board could be a great learning opportunity for such members, if they wanted to use it. Hence, the "sticky" post, though that might be a bit superfluous...

JMO
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That's an excellent idea Catty1!

I'm a little unsure about its and it's. And is it "the animals' toys"? I think I tend to forget the apostophe.

RedHedd posted about "lose" and "loose" earlier, the explanation she gave made a lot of sense, although, I still may get it wrong sometimes.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.