Thread: Fun Topic: How did your cat or cats get their names ?

Threaded View

I knew I was going to adopt her and she was a solid grey kitty. I had gone to the shelter on a Saturday and they asked that I return the next day because she was shy and I was a nervous first-time adopter. I told my mom this in church on a chilly morning and she happened to be wearing her grey cashmere blend overcoat. I got back to the shelter, saw the kitty, thought of my mom's coat and she got her name - Cashmere, which we shortened to Cassie.

My other choice was Pepper, from a Peppers Waterbeds bill board.

She has a ton of nicknames -- kitty boo (thank you to Laura's Kitty Boo for this one), bug, muffin, honey cat, babycat (after Tehya the Babydog), missy (as in 'scuse you, missy, I am carrying groceries and you are in my way), my sister calls her cookiepuss, and Cassie Lassie, from a friend of mine at church. It's a wonder she even knows her name!

Edited to add: I forgot about my fur-nephew Milo! That was his name from his previous family and he knows it, so my brother and his family decided to keep it. He too has nicknames... Bud, Buddy, Miles, honey boy (since he's orange), and Sir (when he's being a furry orange trip line because he wants something). But I walk in their house, he's there and I just say, "Hi, Bud!" It fits him.

My sister's RB meezer Poco got his name from the Italian word for "little". He was a teeny kitten that was found in a field, brought to the veterinarian's office and they called my sister to see if she would take him. His nicknames were Pokester, Smoky Poco, and Mr. Blue Eyes. He was truly my sister's heart kitty -- he used to sleep on her pillow with her! .
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 01-31-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678