Thread: skin infection

skin infection

every once in a while, zoey will have rashes all over her body which are filled with a bit of pus and they will dry up and drop. when i took her to the vet on the 1st occasion, the vet gave me an orangy liquid antibiotic which didn't help. new rashes appeared as the old ones were drying u. on the 2nd occasion, the vet gave me antibiotics in tablet form. the rashes did dry up but after about one month plus (now), the rashes are appearing again. but this time there is one on her head. it's dried up now but a tuff of her hair dropped off as well. i took her to another vet who gave her and injection and a course of antibiotics and also some oitment to apply on the rashes. i am to take her back to the vet if the wound dosn't heal.
    is there anything else i can do? it broke my heart when zoey squeeled so loudly while she was having her jab.

Have they tested her for allergies? My first Golden also had severe skin problems and they were caused by allergies.
    You could check the following sites to see if there is some useful information:
    http://www.petvets.com
    http://www.vetinfo.com/
    http://canismajor.com/dog/
    Hope that, whatever the cause is, the treatments work.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

I'm wondering if this might not be a fungal instead of a bacterial infection?? In that case, antibiotics would be of not help. Fungal infections often result in hair loss; lots of hair loss!! Ask your vet about that, and the possibility of food allergies! Poor baby!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

While you figure out what she is allergic to, give her aveeno baths. Aveeno is fienly grounded outmeal used on humans for rashes, sunburn, eczema. Bath the dog with the water at stomach level, soaking them for 30-40 minutes. It really works!!! But it is only a temporary solution until you find what that poor dear is allergic too. The rash will go away and they will not itch anymore. I hope this helps. Let us know how he does.

zoey has finished her antibiotics. Her rash on her head looks better now and luckily no other rashes has appeared. there's still a tiny bald spot on her head though.
    how long will it take for her hair to grow back?

Dusty had a lump removed from the top of his head a little over a month ago. The hair is almost all grown in. You can still tell but you have to really look to notice it.

her hair is finally growing back now! and yippee!! i have my picture signature back!!