Thread: What happened with Ozzy???

Threaded View

What happened with Ozzy???

I'd like to draw on all the varied PT experience and see what may hve happened.

Ozzy was sound asleep on my bed. I was sitting on the edge, putting on socks and shoes, so my back was to him. Suddenly he was yelping and howling, struggling to get up. I lifted him up and set him on the floor where he continued the horrendous sounds for quite sometime. Well, maybe 3 minutes, but it seemed like ages. After, his back was quite arched, almost like a cat.

He just stood there, looking rather dazed, didn't move, not even turning his head. After another minute, he slowly sat down, moving his front feet back, not moving his rear end. I carried him out to th back yard; wanted to get him off the lino and hard wood floors, all slippery surfaces. Again he just stood there.

I walked around the yard (picking up dog poops), and he moved his front to keep facing me; barely move his rear end at all. When I was done, he walked slowly to the step, I carried him inside. About 10 minutes later, he was moving more normally, his back was in the usual position again.

I thought he just have moved funny sitting up and pulled a muscle in his back. But I talked to someone who told me that this is classic for an elderly dog having a heart attack! I know he has a heart murmur, age related. As of last October, he was 'at least 14.'

Now I don't know what to think. Or DO, if anything!

3 hours later, he ate his full supper; Ozzy is almost ALWAYS a member of the Clean Plate Club!

Anyone have any thoughts / ideas / suggestions? All I"m doing is keeping an eye on him at this point
    Last edited by Freedom; 04-19-2008 at 06:05 PM.