View Poll Results: Change his name?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Teal'c ? ( Inscrutable, controlled, StarGate SG-1 character)

2 11.11%
  • Pixel ? ("The Cat Who Walked Thru Walls" - kitty who can do whatever he THINKS he can)

13 72.22%
  • Something Else? ( open to suggestions)

3 16.67%

Thread: Change our adopted kitty's name? a Poll

Threaded View

Change our adopted kitty's name? a Poll

In january we adopted a stray orange and white kitty - we had never had a cat before, and initially, we couldn't think of a name for him.

a Few years ago, we adopted a rescue golden/ Chessie mix named Tristan. We kept the name he came with, first, he was used to it already, we liked it because it was unusual, and it occured to us that it must be fate - because all of my dogs (the last 4 out of 5) have had names starting with 'T' - not deliberately, it just worked out that way.

In keeping with the 'T' theme, we came up with "Teal'c" as a name for the kitty. But it just doesn't seem to fit him - for one thing, while he was initially as inscrutable as the TV character, Teal'c, from Stargate SG1 - as he has bonded with us, we find that our little kitty is NOT 'inscrutable at all - in fact, he's quite an affectionate, vocal, and comic character!

Tristan had Lymphoma, and he passed away on Jan 24. Though we miss him, we KNEW we would be getting another dog, and last week, we adopted 2 yr old 'Fizz'. Again, it's unusual, she knows it, responds to it, & I don't think we are gonna change it. But there goes the 'T' theme. ( not that it really matters, anyway - it wasn't on purpose, except for coming up with 'Teal'c')

One of my favorite Authors is Robert Heinlein. Sci-Fi. And he wrote a book called 'The Cat Who Walks Thru Walls' - The Cat, "Pixel" appears in a few of his stories, and has the unusual ability to literally 'walk thru walls' (including the skin of a spaceship) and appear wherever and whenever he chooses, simply because as a young cat, he believes he CAN, and nobody has ever told him otherwise. Pixel 'chose' his people, and because they are involved in a dangerous profession, (time travel) he often shows up unexpectedly.

Our little Christmas kitty (who first showed up in the garage on Christmas Eve) was coaxed into our house on a below zero night. Though he is young, he was obviously used to living outside and my original intent was to simply offer him the shelter of our garage. We were dealing with Tristan's illness, and were not intending to 'adopt' a cat - since we didn't have a litter box, or even cat food (he'd been stealing dogfood and we'd left scraps & water in the garage for him) we would let him 'out' to go potty, but then he would 'magically' re-appear in the house. it took us about a week to catch him using the dog door to get back in! A trick he'd taught himself !

So in two months, he's gone from stray, possibly feral, to being a pampered kitty that CAN go outside, bathrooms outside, but mostly stays inside where it's warm, and he has food, playmates, belly scratches, and lots of safe, warm places to hide, sleep, and watch the world.

the only drawback is that Great furry beast, Fizz, that we brought in last week - but he's getting over that.

so my question is, for our little kitty, (who doesn't really 'know' ANY name, and doesn't respond to anything, anyway, except, maybe, "kitty" and the sound of a pop-top can of food...)

Which name should he have?

1. Teal'c?

2. Pixel?

3. Something else? ( suggestions? )

To help you decide, here's a link to his photo album

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/

and a photo of him keeping me company while I'm online.....

laura
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera