Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now THAT'S a fat cat!!!

Hybrid View

Now THAT'S a fat cat!!!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07302008...cat_122221.htm

Meet Princess Chunk, a 44-pound hunk of feline flesh, a cat so big that she needs a bathtub for a litter box.

Volunteers at a New Jersey animal shelter are trying to find a new home for the corpulent kitty - a really big home.

PHOTO GALLERY: 44-Pound Fat Cat

PHOTO GALLERY: New York Post Readers' Fat Cats

Officials at the Camden County Animal Shelter in Blackwood say they received the cat Saturday from Animal Control after she was found wandering around outdoors with no ID tags.

As hard as it is to fathom, volunteers think her owner might have lost her, which is as difficult a possibility to imagine as, well, as a 44-pound cat.

"I mean, how do you lose a 44-pound cat?" said shelter volunteer Deborah Wright.

Wright told the Camden Courier Post that volunteers named the cat Captain Chunk until they realized it was a girl.

It was probably hard to tell.

Usually when people talk about fat cats in New Jersey, they are talking about members of the state legislature. Or extras in a "Sopranos" shoot.

But when this portly pussycat came waddling along, they knew they had something different on their hands.

"She was probably fed table scraps, or may have a thyroid problem," Wright said.

Veterinarians say a healthy cat should weigh between 10 and 12 pounds, and that Princess Chunk's condition could be a combination of bad genetics and way too much Meow Mix.

The largest tabby on record tipped the scales at 46 pounds, 15 ounces. That cat, who lived in Australia, died in the 1980s at about age 10.

The Guinness Book of World Records dropped its category for overweight cats, fearing some fat-head feline owner would jeopardize a pet's health in a bid to break the record.

Wright said she isn't interested in breaking records - or her scale. She'll put Princess Chunk on a diet of low-fat Purina and 1 percent milk, and definitely no lasagna. (Look what that did for Garfield.) Also, Princess will get plenty of cat toys to start exercising.

"I'm about to put a leash on her and walk her," Wright told the paper. "She could pass for a dog."

Princess Chunk's owner, who by now may have been eaten into the poorhouse, has until the end of the week to claim her, after which the cat will be eligible for adoption.

"She's laid-back and friendly," Wright said. "We just hope someone loving will adopt her."
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

That poor kitty! I know some people think an extra-fat cat is extra cute, but that's just dangerous to her health!
    I've Been Frosted

I wonder what happened to the owner??? I mean, I doubt the cat "zipped" out the door and ran off. Can she even run?? I wonder if the owner was old and passed away, and they tossed the cat out the door? It's just odd to think that a 44lb cat would just be wandering the streets and no one is missing her.

I hope they can get her on a good diet and lose weight gradually. I know Cal and Zach are large boys, but they're not even 1/2 of her weight!

I've said it many times on here...I LOVE big kitties. But WOW!! She sure is a cutie though. I'm sorta hoping the owners do not claim her so she can get heathly and go to a home that wouldn't let her get like that again.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I can just hear her now: "But really -- I'm just big boned!"

Poor gal -- she weighs almost as much as all THREE of mine put together -- and both of my boys are shopping in the "husky" section as well. I hope that wherever she ends up living, she's able to get to a somewhat healthier size.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

It's so sad. If they find the owner, they should be charged with animal abuse. That poor kitty. Princess Chunk indeed.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9 View Post
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/07302008...cat_122221.htm
    Usually when people talk about fat cats in New Jersey, they are talking about members of the state legislature. Or extras in a "Sopranos" shoot. "
    Sorry you have this erroneous perception about my home state, you're misguided on both counts!!!! Check out the New Jersey Homepage for a better understanding of what our legislators and those of us who live and work here are REALLY about. And please remember, while The Sopranos is a great TV show that's ALL it is... a tv show!!! I've NEVER heard it put so poorly or inaccurately!!!!!!!! Pretty offensive
    Last edited by momcat; 07-31-2008 at 07:14 PM.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

awww....sweet Powder Puff! At least she had a good name for him (well, not the 'puff' part).

He looks healthy, and hopefully will have many more happy and healthy years with a new furrever home and lifestyle!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Sorry you have this erroneous perception about my home state, you're misguided on both counts!!!! Check out the New Jersey Homepage for a better understanding of what our legislators and those of us who live and work here are REALLY about. And please remember, while The Sopranos is a great TV show that's ALL it is... a tv show!!! I've NEVER heard it put so poorly or inaccurately!!!!!!!! Pretty offensive

I hope you realise that this wasn't written by pitc9. It's a quote of
    someone else's written article.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

A Powder update

[b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

He's been officially adopted & a very lucky cat. He has no other medical
    issues but his weight.

http://www.theindychannel.com/family...53/detail.html
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Good news!

With 400 homes to weed through, I am sure they found a very responsible home. Who knows, maybe the other two cats could use a high-protein, low-carb diet too!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    I know this was a while ago, but as Liz said... I did not say that.
    That was the news article I had posted.

Thanks Liz!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I just read this morning

That although Powder has found a new home, NONE of the 500 people wanting to provide him with a new home were interested in looking at the 200+ cats left in the shelter where Powder was fostered. I can't believe that! It's like 499 people just wanted him to exploit him as some kind of freak show - how can you want one cat simply because of the media attention he's been given? Very sad reflection on some people's natures. Glad that Powder is going to a loving home.
    Watch out over the coming months for my brand new website: www.vetnurse.co.nz - currently being constructed (nothing there ATM!) - will update when I can

Heavenly Pet Care

Don't make someone else pick up your litter - have your cats/dogs/rabbits desexed!!!

Yay! I've been boo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
    That although Powder has found a new home, NONE of the 500 people wanting to provide him with a new home were interested in looking at the 200+ cats left in the shelter where Powder was fostered. I can't believe that! It's like 499 people just wanted him to exploit him as some kind of freak show - how can you want one cat simply because of the media attention he's been given? Very sad reflection on some people's natures. Glad that Powder is going to a loving home.

I think for sure that was true of a lot of people, but I hate to think that
    they ALL did.

Maybe they should start featuring adoptable cats on TV more often. It's
    often true that once people see the cats & hear a little about them, they
    are more likely to check them out in person. Some of our local TV stations
    have a feature on the noon news with a VET & cats or dogs from local
    shelters.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt