Thread: Found baby bird *PICS ADDED*

Hybrid View

Found baby bird *PICS ADDED*

I know this should go into pet general, but it will get more hits here.

My neighbor just brought me over a tiny baby parrot that his cat got. It is still alive and apart from a scratch on his neck, which has stopped bleeding, it is unhurt.

This parrot is VERY young, and it must have fallen out of his nest. I know it is a long shot, but how do I keep this baby alive?

As soon as I got it I gave him a few drops of water then some apple and walnuts ground together with some water. I know that birds feed their chicks with regurgitated food, so I thought something watery would be best.

Right now he is is a shoe box with an old shirt and paper towel.

Not sure what kind of bird he is, he must be the only parrot that we have here, not sure what breed they are, but they look a lot like Quaker parrots.
    Last edited by jackie; 04-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.

I cross posted this in Pet General, and sent a PM to Argranade and to Genny, in case either of them can give some ideas.

Don't give him any more water! The best thing you can do is put him back in his nest if you know where it is, though it doesn't sound like you do. I'd take him to a vet or an animal rescue center if possible. He may have other injuries you can't see and he needs to be checked over. The vet can also direct you best what to feed him. You should be able to find a baby bird formula at a pet store. You can feed it to him with with a syringe. I wouldn't give him anymore apple or walnut or anything else until checking with someone first. Baby birds need to be fed VERY often, so it is important you get him baby bird formula as soon as possible. Or get him to a vet or rescue center.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

No idea where his nest is, like I said the neighbors cat brought him in. He is still alive, but now i look at him a bit more and I doubt he is a parrot. I thought maybe a pigeon, but then i googled baby pigeon photos and his beak is different.

I called the vet and they said there is no point bringing him in to them, just to feed him every two hours a mixture of gofio (toasted corn meal) and fruits. He has eaten three or four full syringes full of the mix and is passing stools regularly. He seems strong, but who knows. I just took some pics and if someone can help ID what kind of bird it is, that would be great.

Oh, bless you for helping this wee birdy! I hope he continues to thrive!
    I've Been Frosted