Thread: Very low RBC count - feedback anyone please?

Hybrid View

Very low RBC count - feedback anyone please?

Hello folks
    I hope you're all going along well and your kitties too.
    It's been a while since I've been on here. I've had a lot happening in my life and taking care of Cleo is pretty full on too. I do duck in from time to time to see the daily pets and read but don't have much time to post. However I wanted to ask for some input if I may please.

Cleo, my renal-impaired cat, was off colour and off her food last weekend. Took her to vet and had bloods checked. PCV very low and vet suggested injections of erythropoetin as her kidneys are evidently no longer producing this hormone to promote RBC formation from bone marrow.

Apparently according to what I have read, an iron supplement should also be given as a building block of the RBCs (haemoglobin formation). Vet said he would try to search one out, hasn't got back to me yet. Another article I read said that iron supplements could easily create toxic reaction in cats. No-one I have spoken to (pet supplies, various vets) seems to know what iron supplement is available for cats.

I have yet to speak to the other vet in the practice who had her own cat on this hormone supplement for low RBC count to see what she did. She's not in until Wednesday though.

Cleo seems a good deal better and is eating more, however I'm still a bit worried. Does anyone have any personal experience or information they can share, please, about the need for the iron or any available supplement?(Bearing in mind I'm in Australia)

Thanks
    TopCat3
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

YUP!! BraveHeart, a foster cat with renal failure, had a VERY low RBC count. He got Epogen/Procrit injections (2 brand names for a medicine that stimulates the making of red blood cells) and Pet-Tinic orally (a vitamin liquid with iron and other good things )

It took some time, but his red count is now back in the normal range.

The Epogen/Procrit was prescribed by the vet and supplied by a regular pharmacy. The Pet-Tinic was also supplied by the vet (not sure if you can get int over the counter)

Best of luck with Cleo.

You might want to join http://www.vetpetpartners.org/ ; I know at least one parent has experience with this, and probably some of the vets, too. Good luck!

TopCat3!!! How good to see you on the threads again!!!! I am so sorry to hear about Cleo's blood count. Norton was anemic. He is taking PET-TABS with iron(a liquid). His last CBC the RBC's were back in the normal range!!!HUGS and good luck with Cleo!
    Nine is Fine!!

I do believe the Pet-Tinic is available over the counter. If not, I KNOW that you can order it online ... here is one place http://www.healthypets.com/pet1ozbypfiz.html. It is basically the same thing as Poly-vi-sol w/iron that you give infants.
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I have nothing to share here except encouragement and prayers that Cleo will get back on track. Good to see you back.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

K so I have to say that six weeks ago I would not have understood a single thing in your original post... but you just helped me realize in my clin lab class... I'm actually learning something! I can not believe that I just read that and understood everything, even the processes behind what's happening and why it happens...

I'm very sorry for your kitty though and I have no experience with this except we have practicals tomorrow over PCV and TP and have to calculate the MCH, MCV, MCHC, etc

I will have you in my thoughts and pray that she will recover

EDIT: Yes, excess iron is toxic for cats, so I would hold off on that until you get more information. If you would like, I can talk to my Clin Lab instructor tomorrow and ask her about iron supplements for cats, she should be familiar with it. Though from my understanding the erythropoetin injections should be the most helpful since that's what stimulates RBC creation, not necessarily iron (which only supports hemoglobin). But iron shouldn't hurt in addition. Regardless if you would like I'll talk to my instructor tomorrow to ask her opinion, can't hurt right? She is a DVM.

facebook