Thread: Old broken leg in kitten... what do i do??

Hybrid View

Old broken leg in kitten... what do i do??

A sweet kitten was dropped off at my co-workers house 3 weeks ago, she is very allergic and brought him to work and asked if anyone could take him. I volunteered as he is the sweetest kitty i've ever seen. I took him to the vet, got his shots, test and everything. Today he went for his neuter, and I requested an X-ray of his leg because he walks a little odd.. but doesnt seem to be in pain to me. The x-ray showed he has a broken leg, and it was broken months ago and has now healed incorrectly but its still very broken. The vet says he needs surgery, it will cost no less than $1800 for the surgery. He has no other health problems and I'm very attached to him. He's so special. I just got a new job and I don't have 1800 extra to spend. the vet said after the surgery he wont be able to climb, or jump or be "normal". I don't mind that but I dont know I want to put him through this... and 1800 is a lot of money -I could come up with it - but it will be very difficult. What should I do? any advise on a similar cat you may have or have seen after broken leg surgery? the vet said i cant tell he's in pain cuz he's so tiny - he's only 4.5lbs right now... and said to be about 6 months old. Thank you...

Go to www.imom.org

They raise funds for non-routine surgeries for pets.

Your vet will need to sign something from iMom saying he will work with their terms, etc. It sounds like you have a little time to work with, so apply and see what happens.

Meanwhile - I know the holidays are just over and everyone is broke - but do you have anything you can sell? Even a bake sale at work? Or - with your boss's permission - a donation can with a pic of that sweetie on the front?

If you work retail, customers will love it!

That way you can put some $ towards the surgery as well.

HUGS and keep us updated, ok?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

thanks so much, I will certainly apply for help. I work at a network operations center. I feel bad for asking my new co-workers for help... but it might be worth a shot. He is so sweet... grey striped with white paws, lil kitten face... he has spots on his tummy... he also doesnt meow.. he makes no noise at all..... perhaps that's why i cant tell he's in pain - he jumps and runs around like a nut though...

I would suggest taking the xrays to another vet, for a second opinion. The part which I don't like, is that he won't be able to "climb, jump, or be normal." So he does that now; what is this surgery going to do for him???

Check with your state's Vet Association for grants / funding. Is there a university near you with a vet program? They often offer lower cost surgeries.

Here are more options for funds:
    This page has a list of some organizations that may be able to assist you. Good luck.

http://animalliberationfront.com/Pra...ancialHelp.htm

Some links:

In Memory of Magic (IMOM) is dedicated to insuring that no companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker is financially challenged.
    http://www.imom.org
    IMOM, Inc
    PO Box 282
    Cheltenham, MD 20623
    Phone (866)-230-2164 Fax (301)-599-1852

United Animal Nations established the LifeLine fund in 1997 to aid companion animals in times of life-threatening emergencies when their caregivers, with low or no incomes, are unable to afford the entire cost of treatment.
    http://uan.org/lifeline/index.html
    United Animal Nations
    P.O. Box 188890
    Sacramento, California 95818
    Telephone: (916) 429 2457 fax: (916) 429 2456

Help-A-Pet is a nonprofit organization which provides financial assistance for the medical care of pets whose owners are unable to afford the expense
    http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html
    Help-A-Pet
    P. O. Box 244
    Hinsdale, Illinois 60521
    telephone: (630) 986-9504 fax: (630) 986-9141

Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Programs provides financial assistance for emergency medical care for cats.
    http://www.fveap.org/sys-tmpl/door/
    FVEAP
    1641 Elizabeth Lane
    Yuba City, CA 95993
    Fax: 888-301-4264

Thank you so much for the replies... here are his pics:

Aw, a gray tabby! Look how distict the "M" is on his forehead! He has strong tabby lines!

http://handicappedpet.net/help/viewtopic.php?t=8162

Hmm. I don't know that I'd do anything at the moment; I'd be extremely reluctant to put him through all that. TK had a pin in a shattered femur, and I wouldn't do that again. Tripodding him is always a possibility, as is removing the ball of his femur so he can make a false joint. If he's doing that well, despite all, I think I'd leave him alone.