Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on blind kitty (Ocular)

Update on blind kitty (Ocular)

This is just to update everyone on Ocular. His URI is much better! He is no longer open mouth breathing and doesn't sound congested. Unfortunately he now has some infection in the eye socket where they removed his last eye. I don't think at this point it is anything too serious and he is on antibiotics.
    Last night I took him out of his cage and was holding him. He positioned himself on my shoulder and just purred! I supported him but let him move around where he wanted and as his whiskers would brush my face he would pull back. Finally he worked himself into an up and down position on my stomach and chest. I supported his bottom and back while he figured out where my face was. I kept talking to him and he slowly brought his face closer and closer to mine until his lips touched mine! He sniffed me and then lowered his head just a little and put his mouth to my chin and started licking me!!! He gave me the sweetest kisses and my heart melted!!!
    I don't think there is any doubt that I will be bringing this guy home with me. When the time comes I will need all of your prayers that things will go well with my crew. If it doesn't I won't have any choice but to take him back and that would kill me. BUT we will deal with that one day at a time and I'm not going to panic yet.
    Say prayers for sweet Ocular (that name has got to go!) that he gets well soon.

I've posted this picture before and I don't have a new one. I will post it again just as a reminder of adorable this guy is.

Oh I'm so glad you'll be taking him home. You might experience a period of adjustment, but it can work out! Look at us, we have 18! You may have a scrap now and then, but he needs you!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

I forgot to mention that I had to do battle with my "current" step-father this weekend. I mentioned Ocular and possibly bringing him home. My mom was sad for him but supportive. Butthead, on the other hand, just could not get over the fact that Ocular had not been put to sleep! He was shocked that the shelter let him live and proceeded to tell us that we were cruel for keeping him alive! I asked him if he thought we should kill blind people and he responded with..."Of course not! They are people but this is an ANIMAL and it's cruel to keep him alive like that!" The thing is he truly believes it. He is not being mean and this is his honest opinion.
    I really hope and pray that things work out in my home with Ocular. I would so love to one day have "Butthead" come to my house and see Ocular acting like a normal kitty. I would love to see Ocular happy and not too limited by his blindness.
    Anyway, I just needed to get that off of my chest! Thanks for listening!

When The Toys ,fro The Found Cats finally arrive , Please Give Ocular , one of the Animal Welfare Mice , as a Gifrt , from All Of Us , and bless you , for helping this Little Angel!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Yippee!!! Good for you. My hubby and I were actually trying to figure out if our house would be safe for him...then we were going to try to figure out the transportation issie, but we realized we have too many steps and I would be so worried. We were joking about starting to train our 8 month old kitten, Hunter, to be a seeing eye kitten. A thousand cheers to you for being so wonderful and lots of hugs, kisses and prayers going out to Ocular and the rest of the crew! (and a good swift kick in the pants for "Butthead")

Near Seattle in the beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Ok, I'm sitting here at my computer, watching Pippin play with his rattle mouse, tossing it up in the air, chasing it down, run around the house with it in his mouth and then roll over and play with it on HIS futon. Now, if we had followed the "butthead" philosophy of what life forms should be allowed to live, I guess Pippin wouldn't be here today! And, its funny but, if we are being cruel to him, I certainly can't tell. He's about the happiest little critter in the neighborhood! Maybe even the Northwest, if you ask him!
    CCL, thank heavens there are people like you and all the shelters out there that take in blind and otherwise disabled animals. You just give lots of love and care to those creatures that come to you for help.
    I should make a movie of the Pips and send it to you so you can show your....ahem....relative that he's wrong and you are right. You'll do the right thing by Ockey because you care and are willing to put in the effort needed to help him adjust. Don't even waste your time defending yourself to people like that. You don't need to worry about attitudes like that.
    Tiger, Percy, Antoinette, Scooter,Norbert,Willy, Pippin
    www.tribeof7.com

It's easy to see from your post how much you love Ocular already! And he seems to be happy that he found you as a friend he can trust!

It's so wonderful that you're going to bring him home and hopefully everything work out fine with him and your furry gang.

As far as your current step-dad goes... Hard to believe that people can see it that way, it's that kind of ignorance that upsets me, too. But we can't do anything else but not to listen to this kind of people, because they will never change, and arguing with them is only wasted energy (I know how you feel because I have to deal with people like that myself).

However, a speedy recovery to Ocular!!

Kirsten

CCL - I thank God everyday for people like you. It will most definately take a good deal of time but with the power of the prayers here on PT I am positive it will work out fine. Prayer, patience, understanding, and love will work its magic I'm sure.
    --- Meg
    Last edited by catlover4ever; 04-13-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

Thanks to all of you for your support. I'm a little nervous about how some of my gang will react. Maggie Sue especially! Anybody that walks into her space is slapped and poor Ocular will get beat up and won't know why! Stubby is so tempermental! If she wants something and can't have it she proceeds to beat the crap out of anybody until she either gets her way or gets hurt.
    I also have the fear that he is going to require a lot of my attention in the beginning and jealousy can cause big problems. I'm also afraid that I'm not home enough to be able to watch out for him. I'm really nervous and concerned but I certainly feel like I have to try.
    I really do need all of your support and I thank you for the words of encouragement. I guess if all else fails we can find a way to transport him to Trinity!!!

CCL,

It's quite obvious that it was fate that put the two of you together! He is MEANT to be with you. I knew from the very beginning that he'd end up at your house.

Bless you for being there for him. You are his one shining star. If anyone can help him overcome his "limitation" it's you!!!

Next time you see him, please give him a smooch and let him know everything will be okay.

As far as "butthead" is concerned (I had a butthead "stepmonster" so I know where you're coming from) it's sad that he truly believes his own opinion. But, stupidity will do that. Just ignore him, yes him to death, and bring home that precious bundle of fur!!!

((((hugs))))

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I still really like the name, Ocular. But, let us know what you decide to change it to.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

CCL....

awwww

I am so excited for you and Ocular!!!!!!

You telling about you holding him and him giving you some kissies.. made me want to cry! ... He really deserves someone special and I hope you are the one that can give him a furrever home so we can experience the rest of his long life and happy kat stories with you!..

I will be praying that he fits in PERFECTLY with your crew and that they recognize his handicap and are super gentle with him!

*KEEP UP UPDATED!!*
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I pray that Ocular will settle in well in your house - bless you for giving him a chance to experience the love of a forever home.

Re the Butthead - we ALL have one in the family or immediate circle of friends - I am VERY selective about who I talk to about my cats, my shelter work, and the HOURS spend online discussing my favourite subject - CATS.

What I can say is that without the support and prayers of everyone here at Pet Talk, I would not have endured the trauma I experienced when I introduced Connor - and after knowing he is deaf, I was under even more pressure to "make it work" - every time I felt like giving up I have a PM or message from someone telling me "hang in there - it WILL improve"- and it HAS.

I found this link on Disabled Cats here

(((HUGS)))

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Re: Update on blind kitty (Ocular)

Originally posted by catcrazylady
    I don't think there is any doubt that I will be bringing this guy home with me.
    Yeah!!!!! I'm so happy for you and so excited for him! He really looks and sounds like such a sweetie pie. I'm sure your brood will adapt - as will he. Someone will probably take over as his "seeing eye cat" and start showing him the ropes and how to avoid Maggie Sue and Stubby. And you never know, I believe that kitties can sense when another kitty is hurting, so Maggie Sue and Stubby may just surprise you and be extra gracious to the new kid on the block....hopefully anyway.

I can't wait to see more pics of him all cleaned up and comfy in his new home.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I hope the others accept Ocular! He is so sweet. How wonderful of you to take him in.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June