Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Pregnancy/baby thread

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by beeniesmom View Post
    I'm sorry Kari. If you have any questions, Lord knows I can help you on this one.

Thanks, Carmen. I'm not going to get too concerned until I take the three hour test. I've talked to several women and most of them said that they failed the one hour and passed the three hour. So, here's hoping! I do need to step up my healthy eating, though, so even if I'm in the clear, this has been a bit of a wake up call.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom View Post
    Boooo...I found out today that I do have gestational diabetes. I have to make an appointment to do a more extensive three hour test (drink the glucose solution and then have blood drawn every hour on the hour). I'm going to do some reading up after I post this, but I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with just controlling the sugar that I take in. But, dang it, I was so happy that I was having a healthy pregnancy. Grrr...
    Just because you failed the one hour doesn't always mean you actually have gestational diabetes. I failed the one hour both pregnancies, but passed the three hour. The first time, I made the mistake of eating breakfast, so this time, I made sure I didn't eat before the one hour and still failed it. I had a cold at the time and had been drinking a lot of orange juice the day before. The nurse that did my 3 hour test said that actually could have caused my sugar to be up for the one hour.

No, I'm NOT pregnant!

I just wanted to say 2 things -- Pembroke Corgi and Sabies, what sweet pictures! and I hope all the 2009 PT moms and babies will be healthy and blessed.

That's all.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I'm not pregnant either, but was just catching up on this thread and all you're beautiful babies and tummies!!

I've drawn a number of 3HGTTs (sorry, 3-hour glucose tolerance tests) at work and the worst part, as I'm sure you all know, is the waiting while hungry part. I'm pretty sure you have to just sit there and not move (too much) as well, right? I guess that's a good time to get your reading in? Good luck to all you...I can't wait to "meet" your beautiful angels. I'll be praying for healthy, quick, uneventful births AND for happy, healthy babies.

Hugs,
    Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I know I'm not to eat anything after midnight tonight, but does fasting mean no water as well? I'm not going to drink any just in case, but if I can get a definitive answer before bed, I may drink water tomorrow morning. I am going in for the test at 8am. I have to work for about an hour and a half before going in, and then go back to work for a few hours afterwards. Gonna be a fun morning.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Fasting means nothing by mouth from (usually) midnight on. NOTHING by mouth means not even chewing gum or sucking on a mint. You can only brush your teeth if you DON'T swallow anything.

But, with you being pregnant and with a glucose test, I'm not sure on the water. Usually, I'd say NO WATER, but...pregnancy tends to change the rules. If they were doing a 3HGTT on a non-pregnant person, I'd say no water at all. It can dilute anything you're adding to the body. They want a reading of how your body handles glucose, and I'd imagine that if you drank water, it'd effect that.

You can call a hospital lab and ask. The labs are open 24/7. Or you can talk to an ER nurse - they SHOULD know the answer...but I'd bet you'd get a better answer from the lab.

...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Water should be fine. They actually let me drink water in between parts of my 3 hour test last time--don't know if that is normal or not.

Let us know how it goes.
    Yeah, I don't think water is allowed. When I drink lots of water during the night, my numbers are low in the morning.

The lab I went to isn't 24/7, or I'd have definitely called them. Either way, though, I went in and took the test. It was no biggie. The glucose solution is really sweet, but it just tastes like KoolAid to me. Gave blood four times in three hours, that's always fun. I read and napped between times and had no issues. I should find out my results within a couple of days.

I'M UPSET .... my numbers have been creeping up for the last 10 days.
    I faxed them to my dr who called me immediately and increased my meds.
    Now I have to be careful not to get the shakes from my blood sugar being too low. UGHHHH!
    I can't wait until the baby is born and I will be off all the medication.
    If I am lucky I won't have issues after the birth.

How are the rest of you mommies doing?

Tonight I get to take the maternity hospital tour and then Thursday I start the breast feeding class.
    Last week I took child safety and CPR. Very educational.

Carmen, are you on meds for gestational diabetes, then? I didn't remember that you were taking meds for it, although I'm sure you told me. I hope you can get things under control! Be careful! I haven't had much of an issue since I got pregnant, but before, I would get the shakes if I didn't eat. I make sure I always have something on me, now.

I haven't had much of an issue so far with watching my carbs and sugar. I found a drink I like with Sucralose in it, and I've read that it's safe during pregnancy and has no effect on blood sugar. My favorite tortillas are low carb, so that's easy. And, I found a cereal that has lower carbs than most, but the best thing is that nearly half those carbs are dietary fiber, which I've read is a good compromise if you're taking in carbs.

I've gained about nine pounds so far, and still sitting at about 10 inches gained around my waist. I'll probably end up losing a pound or two cutting out the carbs and sugar I was eating prior to the testing. I know I was taking in too much sugar (in the form of beverages, mostly)

David and I are scheduled to take all of our classes in July. We're taking the childbirth, safety & CPR, breastfeeding and baby basics classes. Should be fun!

Yes, I am/was on meds. My numbers were high from the beginning of the pregnancy. I never had to take the glucose test because they already knew from my initial bloodwork that it was going to be an issue. I am being careful with what I eat. I can eat some things without having any reaction (even cookies) but other things (like white rice) send it to the sky.
    They say it's hormonal.

I took the new dose last night for the first time and it was 175 after 2 hours..... crazy high!!! This morning it was down to 89 which is good. I took a greater dose after breakfast and it was 95, also very good. We'll see how this works out. I just hope the meds start working for the evening too. I don't want to take shots. If I can hang on for a few more months it should be fine. They are talking about inducing me early because of it. We'll see.

You've gained only 9 pounds... I am jelous! I've packed on 24 lbs so far.
    And this is because I am on a restricted diet.... oh well.

I think you will like the classes. So far the ones I took were fun.

The maternity tour last night was very fun.

First they did some baby trivia and you won little prizes (samples and baby toys).

Then they showed us the following Bill Cosby skits on childbirth:

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFMVeZyhagI

Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-AG_yF1Uw

We all were laughing so hard we were crying.

Then we did the tour of the facility. I thought the rooms would be a little bigger. I automatically thought that whoever will be with me overnight (mom or hubby) will be very uncomfortable. I will make them go home. I don't want either of them sleeping on the foldout chair...

Quote Originally Posted by beeniesmom View Post
    Then we did the tour of the facility. I thought the rooms would be a little bigger. I automatically thought that whoever will be with me overnight (mom or hubby) will be very uncomfortable. I will make them go home. I don't want either of them sleeping on the foldout chair...
    I don't know how big the rooms are at your hospital, but my hubby stayed on the foldout chair both times and was fairly comfortable. This time, I made sure to pack him some more comfortable clothes to sleep in--when Katherine was born, he slept in his regular clothes. The nurses brought in extra sheets and blankets for the foldout, too, so it wasn't like he was sleeping right on the chair.

Well, I have gestational diabetes. Dang it. My numbers weren't terrible, but they were over. My first draw was good *73* (after fasting), my one hour was good *126, needs to be under 180*, but my third and fourth draws were over (the 2 hour was by 41 points *196 and needs to be under 155*), the 3 hour by 28 points *168 and needs to be under 140*).

I'm scheduled to go in for an educational group class next Wednesday morning. I'd have liked to have an earlier appointment, but that's the only one they have available for this week and next. So, until then, I'll just have to research on my own and keep doing what I've been doing. My doctor thinks I should be able to control it with diet alone, so hopefully his faith in me is justified.

And, don't sweat the weight gain, everyone is different. I've just been trying really hard to eat healthy (obviously not as healthy as I should be eating!) and I've been staying fairly active. The biggest thing I've done consistently is park as far as I can park everywhere I go. I don't use drive throughs at all, and I take the stairs when they're available. It's an easy way to stay active without actually "working out" which I don't really enjoy.

Anyway, I'm off to eat some chicken and veggies.

Aw that's too bad you have gestational diabetes! I've known many girls with it though and it's always been manageable. I'm sure you'll do fine.

We did the gender determination a couple weeks ago, and it's a girl, just like I knew she was! I felt her once at 19 weeks, and then at 20 weeks she suddenly decided she was going to kick and kick..and kick. There is no "fluttering." I have no idea what this even means. You can SEE her kicking me from the outside. The other day I had my hand on my belly and she must have stretched or something -- her foot stuck out on my belly and slid down my hand -- very weird and cool!

Here are her ultrasound pictures, 19 weeks 2 days.

Creepy front shot

And my belly, 5 months one day. Ignore the dirty mirror!!!

The ultrasound technician said I have a braxton hicks contraction on my uterus. I felt contractions for the first time this morning, very scary because I didn't know what was happening. I was working at the time, just wishing it would stop -- it felt like everything wanted to fall out of me.

Anywhos, that's my little monkey!
    I've been BOO'd!