Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Animal Abuse in Connecticut

Animal Abuse in Connecticut

BERLIN -- A 19-year-old Newington woman and two of her friends are facing animal cruelty charges for allegedly torturing her roommate's cat at Silver Lake in February.

Jill Mazurek, 19, of 38 Harding Ave., Newington, was arrested Friday for cruelty to animals and conspiracy to commit criminal trespass in the third degree. According to reports that The Herald viewed Thursday, the woman was angry with her roommate and took one of her two cats which she subsequently subjected to a vicious attack while two male friends watched.

She reportedly shaved the cat and then wrote on its body with a magic marker. She then took the animal to Silver Lake where she beat it with a log. She then threw the animal in the lake several times, but the cat swam back to shore.

She allegedly proceeded to beat the cat with a log again and grabbed it by the tail and smashed it against some rocks until it bled from its eyes and nose. She then stuck its headand began hitting the cat with beer bottles until it stopped making noise and she presumed it was dead. She poked it to make sure it was dead and then she threw the cat between some rocks and a Porto potty.

Michael Pajak, 19, of 154 Webster Court, Newington and Michael Oziomek, 19, of 22 Longview Drive, Newington were also arrested. Both men were charged with the same charges as Mazurek, but Mazurek's bond was set at $10,000, while Pajak's bond was set at $7,500 and Oziomek at $5,000. Police reports state that both Pajak and Oziomek watched as Mazurek assaulted the cat. Police refused comment as all affidavits were sealed by the court.

The police report states that the area was searched in mid-April, but the cat was never found. Officials say when confronted, the woman signed a sworn statement admitting to the incident, but felt she had done nothing wrong. According to animal control officer Jan Lund, this is the worst case of animal abuse in Berlin in many years.

I'm sorry this story is so graphic but at least you can see what this poor baby suffered. This %$@#*'s arraignment is on Thursday and there will be quite a crowd going to make sure she gets the maximum punishment. I will let you know the outcome. At least Adonis's death will not have been in vain.

The sad part about it is this girl ADMITTED doing it and signed a sworn written statement. Talk about stupid. I hope the b*&$# fries.

Donna

Oh moosmon, that's so awful!

What's the maximum punishment she can get? I doubt it's anything that will even begin to compare what she put the cat through.

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

God - I feel ill. Both stories fill me with horror

Lynne

In Connecticut, the punishment for animal cruelty is jail, fine, community service or all of the above. We're hoping that this girl already has a record and is on probation. If so, she's guaranteed jail time for violation of her probation. I'm a staff writer for a newspaper in CT and wrote an article about changing the animal abuse laws in CT. Hopefully it'll be printed in the next day or two. Animal abuse is way out of control and needs to be stopped.

I'll keep you posted as to what happens on Thursday. Hopefully I won't get arrested for breach of peace when this girl shows up. I'd like to do to her what she did to poor Adonis.

I could strangle that girl with my own hands.

There is something especially heinous of killing a third party to get revenge.
    I agree, I think that some people are just plain evil.

I am so sick that I think I am going to vomit. I read your post and could only picture that evil teenager doing that to the cat.

What a sick world we live in today. It breaks my heart....
    Last edited by DoggiesAreTheBest; 05-14-2002 at 12:31 PM.

Jeffrey Dahmer is a prime example of an animal abuser turned serial killer. He started out as a teenager killing and torturing small animals in his grandmother's basement!! I'm glad he got what was coming to him.

Originally posted by moosmom
    I'm a staff writer for a newspaper in CT and wrote an article about changing the animal abuse laws in CT. Animal abuse is way out of control and needs to be stopped.
    Have you seen how our legislators in Connecticut, feeling very proud of themselves, just passed a law stating that to keep a dog chained outdoors for more than 20 hours a day will be considered cruelty? I would chain every one of them for 20 hours, in all kinds of weather, to make them realize that the law is totaly inadequate to stop animal abuse.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Albea,

What I wanted to know when that bill was passed is what about a cat being flung out of car windows??? What part of CT are you from?

20 hours a day?!! What are these people thinking? Idiots!

As you said Albea, let's chain them out there for 20 hours and see how they like it!!

Originally posted by moosmom

What I wanted to know when that bill was passed is what about a cat being flung out of car windows??? What part of CT are you from?
    Moosemom:
    I don't remeber exactly when the bill was passed but it was recently, in the last couple of months. All I remember was that it made me You can probably check it out in the Internet.
    I'm in the Northeast area, "the Quiet Corner," 8 miles from UConn.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

This story made me sick... but the horror is still out there.

Something very very cruel took place here in Spain some months ago (in Catalonya - a region very close to France) and shocked the whole society. I've never posted it here before because it was so horrible and gross that I couldn't manage to put it into works (I still doubt I'll be able to) but unfortunately, that's the only way to denounce these things

A no-kill shelter was attacked by some people by night. They managed to take out up to 15 dogs and puppies (the friendliest, as shelter volunteers confirmed in tears the day after ) These brutal vicious people (who haven't been discovered by police yet) chained them to some trees and cut their legs/paws off with axes - then they were left there to die slowly. The volunteers that discovered them next morning reported that the surviving dogs (9) still greeted them with their tails when the poor animals saw them (I'm in tears now and in rage also ) - of course they had to put them to sleep
    Animal advocates struggle for a more restrictive law against cruelty, but the politicians seem to be more interested in other issues

Nita

(I'm still in tears - I'm sorry I posted this, but I haven't been able to forget the whole thing and when I read those dreadful stories, well I had to post it, to denounce it somehow. Unfortunately, it's the only thing I can do)

Oh Nita, what a horrible story! It is sad that our politicians feel that animal cruelty is not worth their time.

When I read cruelty stories, I am almost ashamed to be human! If things were reversed and animals took the place of humans and humans became pets, I am certain they would never mistreat us! Do these people have no conscience? I pity them! I bet they feel high and mighty for the damage they cause. I pray that God will punish them for their actions. And I know He will!

Albea,

I read the story about the bill. What I meant was, when are they going to start changing the cruelty laws for things such as tossing animals out of moving cars, abandoning cats in dumpsters, etc. This is all because stupid, stupid people refuse to have their animals spayed and neutered. BTW, I live in Wethersfield which is right outside of Hartford. Glad to meet ya!

Moosmom,

" What I meant was, when are they going to start changing the cruelty laws for things such as tossing animals out of moving cars, abandoning cats in dumpsters, etc."

It's important to remember that the "they" we are talking
    about is "us". Every person who believes animal abuse is
    wrong and should be strongly discouraged in a moral
    society has the obligation to tell your elected representatives
    in goverment where laws are made.(or not). If you do not
    have a organised group in your community that lobbies
    for animal's right to a life free from abuse & cruelty, then
    join a national group. Start your own group.Look for like
    minded people & form your own group to lobby for stronger
    animal abuse laws at the local level.