Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soup?

Soup?

This Sunday after church is Soup Sunday - we're all supposed to make and bring our favorite soup. I was thinking of corn chowder, but cannot find the family recipe, and am really undecided. Ideas, folks? Alas, I would make and bring the family's fish chowder recipe, but I am allergic to fish now, have been for years.
    I've Been Frosted

want a corn chowdah recipe? have one we use in the slow cooker.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
    2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
    1 bag (16 oz) frozen corn, thawed
    3 small to medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 in pieces
    1 red or green bell pepper, diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 stalk celery, sliced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    8 slices bacon, crisp cooked and crumbled

Directions:
    1. Place broth, corn, potatoes, bell pepper, onion, celery, salt, black pepper and coriander into a crock pot slow cooker. Cover and cook for 7 to 7 hours.
    2. Partially mash soup mixture to thicken. Stir in cream, then cook on high until hot. To serve, sprinkle on bacon.

I hope you enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel's Human View Post
    Corn Chowder

Ingredients:
    2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
    1 bag (16 oz) frozen corn, thawed
    3 small to medium potatoes, cut into 1/2 in pieces
    1 red or green bell pepper, diced
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 stalk celery, sliced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    8 slices bacon, crisp cooked and crumbled

Directions:
    1. Place broth, corn, potatoes, bell pepper, onion, celery, salt, black pepper and coriander into a crock pot slow cooker. Cover and cook for 7 to 7 hours.
    2. Partially mash soup mixture to thicken. Stir in cream, then cook on high until hot. To serve, sprinkle on bacon.

I hope you enjoy!

Thanks! I don't own a slow-cooker, but a big pan on the stove would likely work on low heat, don't ya think? Happy to get this even if I don;t end up making it this time- this is something I crave a couple times a winter!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Thanks! I don't own a slow-cooker, but a big pan on the stove would likely work on low heat, don't ya think? Happy to get this even if I don;t end up making it this time- this is something I crave a couple times a winter!
    Should work fine, just cook it SLOW
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

If you want easy and tasty, this one is good.

Creamy Jerusalem Artichoke soup

Olive oil
    6-8 Jerusalem Artichokes
    1-2 potatoes
    1 small onion
    1 clove of garlic
    2-3 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
    salt
    pepper

Cut a small onion and a clove of garlic in smaller chunks and put them in a pot with a bit of oil.

Peel the Jerusalem Artichokes, cut them and the potatoes in chunks and put them in the pot. Add about 1/2 liter of vegetable stock or chicken stock. Bring to a boil and let it simmer on low for about 25 min. covered with a lid. Stir now and again.

Let it cool off a bit, pour into a blender and whirl it around. Pour it back into the pot and add about 1 cup of milk and/or cream and heat it. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

It is currently snowing heavily, and people have been asked to stay off the road, as it is snowing faster than plows can keep up[ with - supposed to get 6/10" by midnight, so whatever I end up making will be using the ingredients on hand!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Cream of carrot is the best, always make soup at least a day or two ahead silly. I make the best soup in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Cream of carrot is the best, always make soup at least a day or two ahead silly. I make the best soup in the world.
    Now you have to share the recipe - for next time, when shopping is possible again!
    I've Been Frosted

I love soup especially in the wintertime. I am always looking for new recipes!

Karen, what are your allergies? I can share some of my favorites, if they are ones you can eat

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy'sMom View Post
    I love soup especially in the wintertime. I am always looking for new recipes!

Karen, what are your allergies? I can share some of my favorites, if they are ones you can eat
    Ready? It's an odd list, and long - but not as long as it used to be! Often I can substitute one thing for another when making soup ...

No pistachio, cashew, pecans, almonds or "tree nuts," chick peas, or water chestnuts

Fruit: No mango, apricots, coconut, cranberry

Veggies: No sweet potato, broccoli, cabbage - or anything in the cabbage family, avocado, green peas, green beans, beans, eggplant, no canola oil

Meat: No tuna fish, halibut, grouper, or other fish. No shrimp. Lobster and Crab are okay, as far as I know.

No Sucralose/Splenda sweetener or other artificial sweeteners. No yogurt, although the rest of dairy products are fine ...
    I've Been Frosted

And, by the way, instead of soup, I made cornbread with a little cheese and red pepper flakes in it - to go with everyone's soups!
    I've Been Frosted

And, by the way, instead of soup, I made cornbread with a little cheese and red pepper flakes in it - to go with everyone's soups!
    That's perfect! Soup and cornbread sounds like a very nice lunch! My family's former church used to do a soup supper every winter. I was going to ask if you could do a cream of spinach or kale, are you sensitive to greens?
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"When dogs are looking at you, they're essentially hugging you with their eyes." -- Dr. Brian Hare

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries
    Now you have to share the recipe - for next time, when shopping is possible again!
    I never follow recipes, I make my own and therefore I cannot give you one. I can tell you to steam some carrots, add roasted garlic, roast a whole bulb in tin foil in the oven with olive oil, once the garlic is cooled, simply squeeze it out into the carrots. Purree, add sauteed or fried onions if you like,plop in a pot, add a bit of olive oil, add lots of onion pwdr. chicken stock, stir, reduce, add milk or cream or canned milk. If using milk a little sugar is good if the carrots are not so sweet. Cayenne, paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Key is to always keep tasting and add spices in tiny amounts until it is just right leave out the garlic if you wish, it makes it so much better though, there are alternatives to milk I would imagine but we are talking about Cream of Carrot soup eh. Sorry, long winded indeed. Very passionate about soup. Just have to use common sense when it comes to amounts of ingredients. I go by how many carrots I have and how much I figure I want. This soup is perfect replaced with any kind of squash, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts etc. p.s you can thicken it if you wish with arrowroot or cornstarch if it is not thick enough. A dollop of butter can be fun as well. Always room for variations

Excellent, thanks.

***Exciting news ...... ****

I now own a slow cooker! Soup shall happen!
    I've Been Frosted