Thread: 20 Unusual Things You Can Donate to Animal Rescues

20 Unusual Things You Can Donate to Animal Rescues

All across the land people are making their lists for Santa and animal rescue organizations are no exception. During the season for giving usually when one thinks about donating to an animal rescue they think either money, time and perhaps a few blankets but there’s a whole list of unusual (and cheap) things on those wish lists. Here are 20 of those items:

1. Bandaids
    Sometimes those newly rescued kitties don’t quite know how to say “I love you” and “Thank you” right away. Instead they act with their claws and the staff needs a few bandages as a result. It’s a good thing they forgive and forget, though.

2. Paper Towels
    Spilled food, water, upset stomachs — they all lead to endless messes that need to be wiped clean.

3. Printing Paper
    Plain white for those adoption documents or colored for making signs for the shelter and flyers for upcoming events.

4. Paint Supplies
    Animals like chimpanzees paint just like humans as a de-stressing and creative outlet. Primate sanctuaries could use paint, brushes and canvases to give to their animals for enrichment activities.

5. Rakes
    Large sanctuaries have large patches of greenery for the animals to roam about, which is fantastic for them but also means a whole lot of lawn to moan and leaves to pile up. Rakes and other lawn tools make the job easier on volunteers.

6. AA batteries

Animal rescue organizations are usually understaffed and walkie talkies are essential for communication between workers so they can move between the various spaces as needed. Batteries keep that radio contact alive.

7. Squeeze Cheese
    A dollop of cheese goes a long way in training and distracting pups. It may not be gourmet, but dogs sure love it as a reward.

8. Veggies
    Small critters like rabbits prefer veggies for their reward, thank you very much.

9. Baby Wipes
    Perfect for sensitive skin, baby wipes disinfect and help clean sticky messes from animals’ fur around the shelter.

10. Hand Sanitizer
    One of the worst things that can happen at an animal rescue is that one sick animal spreads their disease to all others. Hand sanitizer allows the staff to thoroughly kill all germs when going in and out of isolation rooms.

11. Fur Coats
    Your grandmother’s fur coat is so not in style anymore but now it could keep an orphaned baby animal warm.

12. Peanuts
    Whole or shelled, peanuts are a favorite for many animals at wildlife rescue organizations like squirrels, pigs and birds.

13. Bleach
    Remember those endless messes? Yea, sometimes they get really bad…

14. Dish Soap
    Those food bowls need to be cleaned.

15. Manila Folders
    Animal rescues keep records of animals adopted, donations made and events planned. All those documents need to be stored neatly in a filing cabinet.

16. Newspapers
    Puppies who aren’t potty trained need them and so do smaller critters like ferrets and chinchillas that find shredded piles of it awfully cozy.

17. Gift Cards
    Your good old go-to gift when you can’t decide what to get also works for rescue organizations, specially for big stores like Home Depot and PetSmart.

18. Garden Hose

There’s nothing more effective than strong water pressure to clean a dirty kennel!

19. Painting Materials
    Don’t know what to do with that paint roller, tray and leftover paint now that your home improvement project is over? Shelters rarely have the budget for an upgrade so having the supplies will help them keep up appearances.

20. Tree Trunks and Stumps
    Habitats for animals like goats and tigers need large tree trunks they can climb, scratch and play around.
    Photo Credit: ThinkStock
    "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." -- Mark Russell

Thank you, Candace. There are a lot of good suggestions here.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I do not know how many people have a primate sanctuary - or habitat for tigers .... Like they decided to make a list of 20 items and ran out of ideas for normal shelters ,,,
    I've Been Frosted

http://www.primatesanctuaries.org/about-us/sanctuaries

There are 8 full member primate sanctuaries at this link, and at the bottom are links to their transitional and introductory members.

http://www.tigersinamerica.org/sanctuary.htm 13 big cat (tiger) sanctuaries listed as the best in the U.S.A.

Sanctuary Tourism? Interesting.

http://right-tourism.com/getting-it-....Nx7iERqC.dpbs
    "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." -- Mark Russell

Yeah, so unless you live in
    Florida(2) Washington, Louisiana, Texas, Oregon or Kentucky - on that part of Quebec, you have no need for primate supplies .... that leaves out most of North America - just for an example!
    I've Been Frosted

But for people who do live there, it's good information.

My local shelter gets the occasional goat and could probably use the occasional tree stump for them. The last place I worked would have put them in our outdoor "catio" for scratching.

Post-its, pens, pens, pens, more pens, bleach, SPONGES, cute teddy bears (for taking cute pictures!), and er....snacks for the employees, who are often working long hours under pressure and don't always have time for a proper lunch. ^_^

Did I mention pens?

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    did i mention pens?
    Hey, do the shelters need pens?

I was thinking of this thread the other day...as a company we had been working with wanted to get the vet techs a small gift. They didn't have a lot of money to spend on it, but they wanted something we would really appreciate. When they opened up the box of high end gel pens, a collective gasp went through the room as we realized what was being given to us. I think, even after being told how much we would love the pens, they were a little surprised.

To add to the list:

Inflatable mattresses: great for recovering surgical patients, but get punctured frequently and have to be replaced.
    FOOD. PEOPLE FOOD.
    Dish-washing gloves
    Old furs: Ask about this, some wildlife rescues will use old furs to make nests for baby animals.