Thread: These Images Look Like Something Out Of A Bedtime Story. Take A Closer Look To See What They Really Are

These Images Look Like Something Out Of A Bedtime Story. Take A Closer Look To See What They Really Are

http://www.newslinq.com/carl-warner-foodscapes/

Photographer Carl Warner says he has one major goal: to “make people smile.” And with landscapes made of lollipops, peppermints, and gumdrops, his dream-like images do just that.

A trained still-life photographer, Warner’s career in advertising photography gave him the skills to create “Foodscapes.”

“Foodscapes” is a series of images made entirely of food replicating classic landscape photography.

Making these images was simply a personal project but Warner’s dedication to the craft brought him media attention in 2008.

Two years later, he landed a book deal, resulting in “Food Landscapes.”

Foodscapes are created in Warner’s London studio. There he builds the scenes atop a large triangular table that is 12 feet across, and nine feet deep.

Every Foodscape scene begins as a sketch drawn by Warner. This sketch serves as the “blueprint” for the final finished product.

Warner takes his time on the renderings. “I tend to draw a very conventional landscape using classic compositional techniques,” he says.

He works closely with a food stylist to help bring his visions to life. Together, they decide on the best ingredients to use to build every aspect of the scene.
    "Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple." -- Regina Brett

He works closely with a food stylist to help bring his visions to life. Together, they decide on the best ingredients to use to build every aspect of the scene.
    The Foodscapes are photographed in layers, from foreground to background, and the final version is put together in post-production.

Warner must work quickly, as the food tends to droop under the studio’s hot lights. “Things like fresh herbs are a nightmare as they wilt and dry out before your eyes,” he says. “I tend to use a lot of curly kale, as it tends to look good for hours.”

Once shot, Warner leaves a couple of days for retouching and blending the layers together for a polished, seamless, finished look.

Although by the end of a shoot much of the food has been super glued or pinned, “there is a lot of food left over which is always shared out with the team or donated to homeless shelters,” he says. Here, Warner is pictured working on what he calls one of his most difficult shoots.

Warner claims his photography series has made him more creative in the kitchen, combining foods and flavors that might not traditionally go together.
    To see more of his incredible work please visit his website.
    "Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple." -- Regina Brett

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Awesome! Thanks for this interesting post.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Fascinating images! Thanks for sharing!
    I've Been Frosted

Those are nice! Made me hungry though! I really like the chocolate one!

Forever in my heart...Casey,Ginger,Corey,Mandy,Sassy,Lacey

Very interesting! Thanks for posting it.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Really neat!
    Some I was drooling over (like the chocolate one) and some I said "EWWW!" (like the fish one)
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)