Thread: Veterinary costs assistance for a service dog?

Veterinary costs assistance for a service dog?

Hi there:

I rarely come over here to the d*g side, but I want to find some resources for Chace. Chace is a four-year-old golden lab who is a service dog for a visually impaired man in my church's congregation. Chace ate something he shouldn't a couple of weeks ago and was diagnosed with salmonella. He's recovering thank heavens, but his vet bills have come to $6600. The school that trained Chace is helping with about half the bill, but $3300 is still a pretty big nut for Chace's human to handle. Can anyone provide information on agencies or organizations that can help out in Northern California (San Jose area)?

Liz (mom to Zerlina and angelcat Don Juan)
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Liz ~ I'm a cat person (as you know), so I don't have any experience with this group, but they may be able to help or direct you somewhere. From their website.....

The Gandalf Fund provides financial assistance for working and retired assistance dogs in the event of catastrophic illness or accidental injury. http://www.thegiftofsunshine.org/gandalf.html

Welcome!

The Gift of Sunshine supports service dogs and their partners with financial assistance to offset some costs of obtaining and caring for a service dog.

Service dogs are trained to assist people with a wide range of physical and emotional conditions. Although some organizations provide service dogs at no charge, there are many more that do charge a fee. We realize that the initial fee for a service dog, which can be thousands of dollars, may present a hardship for many people. The Hope Chest can help with these costs.

The Gandalf Fund provides financial assistance for working and retired assistance dogs in the event of catastrophic illness or accidental injury.

We also offer Training and Certification Programs for those interested in Animal Assisted Therapy or Pet Visitation.

Please join us in our mission to bring The Gift of Sunshine to service dogs and their partners.

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life. And it cost Halo hers. Ask your vet about Polycystic kidney disease ~~ Rest in peace Willy
    Loved by Lisa

Thank you so much!