Thread: Vaccination Costs

Vaccination Costs

I'm just curious how much you guys in the US pay for your dog's annual shots? I'm in Canada and my vet charges over $100

Quote Originally Posted by emc View Post
    I'm just curious how much you guys in the US pay for your dog's annual shots? I'm in Canada and my vet charges over $100
    I think it pretty much depends on the vet, and also the geographical location. Obviously, the big city vets are going to charge more than a rural area vet. I can't remember what Wolfy's charges were last year, and he is due this year's in mid September. I know the charges were less than you pay, and he gets the Lyme's vaccine too, which I doubt that's given Canada. His vet has gone up in her fees these past few years, but she is the most reasonable vet around. She's the only vet I have taken my fur kids to for many years - a good old-fashioned down to earth country vet. She even reserves one day per week for house calls.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Actually I don't know how the costs break down, but our annual is normally around $150, which includes a year of heartworm meds, lyme test and vaccine, and other annual shots.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

It depends on the vaccine. There is a traveling low-cost vet clinic near me, and their prices right now are as follows...

Core vaccines

Rabies $18
    DA2PP $31
    Bordetalla $31

Extras that most dogs don't need

Lyme $31
    Rattlesnake Vaccine $31
    H3N8 Influenza $31
    Lepto $31

Of course, that's just for the vaccines...no exam.

A vet that makes house calls? Wow! Nowadays it's hard enough to find a family doctor that makes house calls.

Wish my dog could get rabies shots for $18, even if it's in US currency. When we insisted that my dog get only rabies shots, the vet still charged for the whole booster.

There's a huge push in my area to get all dogs vaccinated against rabies, there are always coupons floating around for $10 rabies vaccines and LOTS of free rabies vax clinics popping up. It's a really awesome program, and I'm glad it's there. We also have a lot of free pit bull and chihuahua spay/neuter clinics around to combat the massive overpopulation of these breeds in my area.

An over population of chihuahuas? That's strange given the fact that they have very small litters. Where I live chihuahuas are one of the highest priced breeds and they get sold fast, even before they are ready to go.

Anyway my dog got her rabies shots, she got the 3 year vac at the same price as the annual, so that's not too bad.

Just an update on current vaccine $$ for Wolfy by my vet. He was in for his annual checkup last week, and my total bill was $57.

Office visit and checkup - $25
    Clip nails - $12

Vaccine - DHP-Parvo - $20

I also pay $27.50 for 6 months of his heartworm preventative - Heartgard Plus - which I will pick up next month when he goes back.

He goes for his Lyme's next month since she doesn't like to give it at the same time as other vaccines. I only have to pay for the shot ($20 I think) and not another office visit. It's not 100% effective as I learned with Sparky when he came down with Lyme's even tho he received the vaccine every year. I still prefer that Wolfy gets vaccinated against it anyway.

He gets 3 year rabies vaccine, and isn't due again till next August.

BTW - isn't rabies vaccine mandatory in Canada????? From reading what was posted by you and "snakemama", it gives me the impression that it isn't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm in California, where it sure as heck is supposed to be mandatory that dogs get vaccinated against rabies, but there's no way to enforce it.

I think it entirely depends on the vet and the location. I am in Florida and have used the services of one specific vet for 4 years and she charges me 50 dollars for vaccination. I think its quite reasonable cost.