Thread: Cats... health... food

Cats... health... food

Having read several links with reviews about cat food, and knowing that many cats die from kidney failure, I wonder if anyone know for sure what food is good for cats. Most cat foods say on the package that they contain all the ingredients cats need, so who to trust and who not?

I assume most cat owners do their best to feed the right diet, but still, there are some who just buy whatever they see in the supermarket and think that's OK - and it might be.

Cats in the nature eat mice, birds and other little critters they can catch, but then, they don't have much choice, and certainly not which flavour. They simply want to survive.

I know many vets say that dry food is the best, and I'm aware that cats with certain health issues need a special diet, but as someone said, wet food has water in it, and they need that. It's often very difficult to keep a check on how much they drink.

Is there a statistic on cats who live to be 18 or older, I mean what kind of food did they eat all their lives?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

The opinion on dry cat food has mostly changed, and now wet food is recommended. One reason is that so many cats have urinary issues. Lately, seafood has come under scrutiny, mostly for being suspected in feline hyperthyroidism.
    It is very important to understand food labels. The ingredients are listed from highest to lowest content, so if animal by-products or some other kind of filler is listed first, I would probably stay away from it.
    Also, the no-grain or corn craze has gone way too far. There is no proof that those are bad for cats (or dogs), allergy or otherwise. This was taken from Celiac's disease in people and was falsely applied to pets.
    When a cat eats a mouse, they also eat what the mouse has eaten, which is corn, grain or other plant material.
    To me it is important to get food from a company that has been around for a long time like Purina or Hill's.
    I don't trust the newer ones like Blue Buffalo, Rachel Ray etc. I always make sure that my cats' food was manufactured in the US.
    It would be neat to see statistics on older pets about their diet. I have seen 20 yr old cats who ate Friskies (with lots of food coloring and by-products) all of their lives.
    cats4ever

Thanks for your reply, Heidi.

It's true, you really have to read the labels, I didn't to begin with, but gave Fister Whiskas, thinking that was what cats ate. Since then, I learned a lot.

Also interesting what you say about 'the no-grain or corn craze." Of course, you can't apply what is good for people, to cats. In the wild, they would eat what they can catch. However, if cows were tiny, I'm sure that would be one of their favourites.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Heidi.

It's true, you really have to read the labels, I didn't to begin with, but gave Fister Whiskas, thinking that was what cats ate. Since then, I learned a lot.

Also interesting what you say about 'the no-grain or corn craze." Of course, you can't apply what is good for people, to cats. In the wild, they would eat what they can catch. However, if cows were tiny, I'm sure that would be one of their favourites.
    That's funny. I'm picturing a cat stalking a miniature cow.
    cats4ever

Ha, ha! I found some pics of cats and cows, and a cute video:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/c...t-first-sight/

Click to enlarge...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catcow451.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	61655

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cow_1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	61656
    The problem here is how to turn it on.

Blog Entries
    I loved this video! Amazing, so adorable.

Having lost my Taz to renal failure, I give my current kitties 1/8 of a can of wet food each day. And I feed them Purina which isn't the best food in the world. But I feel like I spend money on expensive dog food already. However, last week I bought cat food at the grocery store. And now I am rethinking their food. I always thought if you can buy it at a grocery store it isn't good. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I will look into this more and maybe change with my next bag. I feed my cats what they feed at the shelter I volunteer with.
    Both of my cats are healthy and at a good weight (boy cat could stand to lose a couple pounds, but he's not obese).
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog/Pit Mix)

I remember Taz. (((hugs)))

I wish we all knew what food is best for our kitties, but it seems a lot of people don't think much about what they feed their cats... or dogs. I didn't either, to begin with. Of course it's also expensive to buy quality food, but it lasts longer, and in the end you save money on vet bills and spare your kitty from getting sick.

Purina is called Pussy or Felix here, I used to get that for Fister sometimes. In recent years, they have a dry food called Perfect Fit, I have a fairly good impression of that, but not sure at all. See link!
    http://www.zooplus.com/shop/cats/dry...od/perfect_fit

In the left side of the page are all the other brands. I hear that Orijen and Acana are very good. Wish I had known while Fister was with me.

In this thread there are links to several cat food ratings;
    http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthre...hlight=reviews

I remember Taz. (((hugs)))
    Awww, thanks. I'm honored you remember him.

I wish we all knew what food is best for our kitties, but it seems a lot of people don't think much about what they feed their cats... or dogs. I didn't either, to begin with. Of course it's also expensive to buy quality food, but it lasts longer, and in the end you save money on vet bills and spare your kitty from getting sick.

Purina is called Pussy or Felix here, I used to get that for Fister sometimes. In recent years, they have a dry food called Perfect Fit, I have a fairly good impression of that, but not sure at all. See link!
    http://www.zooplus.com/shop/cats/dry...od/perfect_fit

In the left side of the page are all the other brands. I hear that Orijen and Acana are very good. Wish I had known while Fister was with me.

In this thread there are links to several cat food ratings;
    http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthre...hlight=reviews
    I will definitely research all of these for my next bag of kibble for the kitties. And you're right, more expensive food means less at the vets office.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog/Pit Mix)