Thread: Third eyelid

Third eyelid

Is it true...

that if you can see the third eyelid on a cat, that it has an upper respiratory infection or a cold? Because I read that somewhere. Yet a woman at a pet store, whom had 2 gorgeous siamese kittens, said that the third eyelid visible on their eyes was fine. I questioned her, but she said they were healthy.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    Gina
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gina,

I just checked out your kitty's picture and can't see the third eyelid.

When the third eyelid (also known as "haw") appears, it is found between the lower lid and the eyeball at the inner corner of the eye near the nose. According to my kitty bible, The Cornell Book, of Cats, when the third eyelid is present in both eyes, it can be an indication of a gastrointestinal upset or disease. If the eyelid eventually returns to it's normal position, it could be an irritation of the eye.

It also states that some in some cats it is always visible.

My cat Maya Linn, out of nowhere, had her third eyelids showing. When I read my trusty kitty bible, I did a little investigating and lo and behold, I found out why. It seems that she got ahold of my good sweater that had glass beads on it and decided to munch on them.

Eventually, the eyelids went back to their original position and she was fine.

Hope this helps.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Well, I've noticed that on either cat at random times, it will appear, always just one eye at a time though. I then put a drop of gentamicin in the eye, and it then clears up. When i first got the kittens, Blessy had her haw showing, and the foster mom told me that she had been scratched by another cat. I have been to the vet on a few occasions regarding this. They gave me different meds and it cleared up. The vet said could have been anything. Naturally, they are very playful with eachother. So I'm assuming that they probably got scratched and then their eye became irritated? The volunteer I adopted from said it happens all the time with cats, while their playing. Just wondering if this happens to everyone elses cats from time to time.

Thanks,
    Gina

moosmom............

moosmom.......

How did you put together that adorable display of pics you have for your cute kitties? Did you use a photo program? I'm trying to figure out a way to do something similiar, to show off my kitts.

Thanks,
    Gina

Hi Spunkymeow - welcome to Pettalk.

Several years ago my kitty, Sidney, started showing the third eyelid. I brought him into the vet and he received a clean bill of health. The vet told me that a third-eyelid by itself isn't necessarily a sign of disease, but a third-eyelid combined with another symptom is.

Other symptoms could include sneezing, runny eyes, lethargy, lack of appetite or thirst, etc. I might have missed a couple of items here but you get the general idea.

I never knew what Sid's problem was, and then it finally went away on it's own.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Gina,

Actually, a PT member, Amy, put it together for me. Isn't it great??? I just love it!

I'm SURE someone here would be happy to help you with it. I just wish I knew how. I'd do it for you.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Leroy's third eyelid comes out on both eyes when he is sleepy. His whole eye is almost covered before he finally closes his eyes! When we first got him I thought he was dying!! He is a goofy cat but very healthy!!
    I didn't know that it was a symptom of possible illness so this is an interesting thing to learn. It may come in handy with my other, more normal kitties!

Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Wow K & L that site was very interesting but my eyes are watering something terrible now!!

I only have one question is it red looking?

Stella
    Tiny Paws (!?!) ready to walk in and on your heart. They will dig a hole and plant themselves there and grow like weeds wrapping themselves around your heart and soul.

No, it's not red, it's a whitish color with blackish outline. But, I'm pretty convinced that it's normal, afting taking a good look at all the cat's eyes on pet talk. Thank you everyone!