Thread: Mindy's in trouble

Mindy's in trouble

Update on Mindy:
    On Wednesday, one day after fluids and anti-nausea meds, she ate a few bites of her breakfast. Naturally, I was thrilled. And then - nothing, not one bite since then. She's also very lethargic, sleeping all day.
    So I took her back to work today, more fluids and anti-nausea injection, and we took x-rays.
    Her vet says they look abnormal, possibly an obstruction (except that Mindy never was one to eat anything but her food).
    But the pictures show that nothing moves beyond her stomach.
    Here are my options: Repeat x-rays tomorrow to see if anything has changed (which I will definitely do), then ultrasound (unfortunately nothing's available until next week, unless I take Mindy as an emergency).
    Last resort (and most invasive): Exploratory surgery.
    Right now, I feel like I'm letting Mindy down, and everything is moving in slow motion.
    I will have to make a decision tomorrow, and I hope I will make the right one.
    Thank you all for letting me get this off my chest (it feels very heavy)
    cats4ever

I'm so sorry to hear Mindy is not feeling well. I hope you will find out what causes it and something can be done. I see she has just turned 9 years old, so she is not really that old.

Keep an eye on her... I know you will. Does it hurt if you touch her tummy?

Sending lots of positive thoughts to you sweet girl and to you.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear Mindy is not feeling well. I hope you will find out what causes it and something can be done. I see she has just turned 9 years old, so she is not really that old.

Keep an eye on her... I know you will. Does it hurt if you touch her tummy?

Sending lots of positive thoughts to you sweet girl and to you.
    Thank you, Randi. When the vet palpated her abdomen on Tuesday, she seemed to be uncomfortable.
    On a lighter note: I was so distraught about Mindy that I went outside to trim the hedge. What is the first thing I did? I cut the the extension cord with the trimmers. So much for being distracted.
    cats4ever

Dearest Heidi - if you can afford it, the exploratory surgery might be the quickest way to go - unless it's not possible until after the ultrasound would be. Hopefully that would allow them to remove whatever is blocking her.

You will make the right decision. I'm not in a position to send any money, but perhaps your vet would take CareCredit or allow a payment plan for you.

HUGS to Mindy and to you.
    "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" -- Dave Barry

Dear Heidi, we're thinking of Mindy and you and sending good wishes and prayers..

First, that something will change tonight or early tomorrow, she will be eating again..
    If not, that the x-rays will show some improvement, that things are moving again...
    If not, that they give some more clear-cut information as to just what is going on..
    And then, you will make the decision that feels and seems best to you and the doctors and Mindy herself.
    ... And then, that Mindy will be doing much better.

We are sending loads of love and warm energies and support for you both.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm sorry Mindy is not feeling better. Keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God, who are called according to his purpose.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Thank you so much everybody for your support. It helps a lot.
    Unfortunately, Mindy did not eat her supper, and then an even more awful thing happened: Monroe refused his food as well, and just like Mindy, he picked up a morsel and spit it back out, and he's laying around. I'm scared to death right now. As far as I know there's nothing they could have gotten into, and everybody eats the same food. The other kitties are ok.
    Both will go to the vet tomorrow, if there's no improvement.
    As far as money goes: At least I work there, so I get a discount, and I can carry over the balance if I have to.
    Or, I can just hand over my paycheck.
    cats4ever

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    Thank you so much everybody for your support. It helps a lot.
    Unfortunately, Mindy did not eat her supper, and then an even more awful thing happened: Monroe refused his food as well, and just like Mindy, he picked up a morsel and spit it back out, and he's laying around. I'm scared to death right now. As far as I know there's nothing they could have gotten into, and everybody eats the same food. The other kitties are ok.
    Both will go to the vet tomorrow, if there's no improvement.
    As far as money goes: At least I work there, so I get a discount, and I can carry over the balance if I have to.
    Or, I can just hand over my paycheck.
    Oh for heaven's sake! Poor you and poor Mindy and Monroe! I really hope the vets can figure this out.
    "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" -- Dave Barry

Oh my gosh.. Hugs and purrrs and love and good wishes to you and Mindy and Monroe, Heidi.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Mindy, Monroe, please try and tell da HuMom what is wrong. Oh my, you must be worried sick. At least since you work there it is easier to get them in. I do hope something shows up to explain next steps.

Praying for all of you.

I want to thank all of you for your kindness. Here's what happened today:
    Mindy didn't eat her breakfast. Then, at work, we took x-rays. They showed lots of gas in the colon, also her bladder was full. All those things displace other organs a bit, so the vet said to wait a few hours to let her pee and for the gas to hopefully disappear (she called it "a fart waiting to happen").
    A few hours later, Mindy had peed and we took one more x-ray. The gas was almost gone, and the doc said there's something in the stomach. She kept grilling me about Mindy maybe having a secret stash of food I don't know about. I'm very strict about their food, so there's no way.
    She felt that if it's not food, it has to be something else. So she made the referral for the ultrasound, and I made the appointment.
    And then...when we got home, I started preparing their food, and Mindy jumped right on the counter, and then started eating. She ate a little less than half of her regular portion, but what an improvement. She also seems to be brighter. If this trend continues over the weekend, I will cancel the appointment. Sooo happy!
    By the way, Monroe is eating some, I think his allergies are getting him down some, he'll get a steroid injection tomorrow, the oral pred is not helping much.
    Sorry about the long post, but I feel so relieved.
    I also believe that all of you played a big part with all of your well wishes! Thanks again!
    Name:  minbd.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  132.9 KBI
    cats4ever

I am so happy Mindy is feeling better!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God, who are called according to his purpose.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Yay! This sounds great! And I hope the steroid shot will help Monroe!

That's wonderful! What great news!

Keep on keeping on there, Mindy and Monroe!

More {{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and cats
    Death thought about it.