Thread: Dogs and the Arboretum

Dogs and the Arboretum

The Etiquetteer is a dear friend of mine, we worked together many, many years ago. He recently posted this:

http://www.etiquetteer.com/columns/2...the-times-dogs

The Arnold Arboretum in Boston is a large, wonderful park, with trees and shuns and all sots of labeled and conserved plant life.

I love the signs, especially the "Dogs are not the problem. Dog owners who violate leash laws are the problem." part. What do you think?
    I've Been Frosted

Have they had a lot of trouble with people letting their dogs run off-leash in the Arboretum?

If so, how recent are the signs, and have you heard if they're effective? Or what people think of them?

Best wishes to them with it!

Ann Arbor has an arboretum also, the Nichols Arboretum, a.k.a. The Arb. Dogs on a 6-foot leash are permitted. I don't know if they have many violations or problems enforcing that.

Last edited by phesina; 04-18-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (19482015), Sourcery

I think it's fair that people can't let their dogs run free in a place like that, and I think the signs are quite polite in telling the rules. Sounds like a very nice place.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The Arnold Arboretum in Boston is a large, wonderful park, with trees and shrubs and all sots of labeled and conserved plant life.
    What is a shun?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Freckles; 04-20-2017 at 08:35 AM.

I think the signs are great! It isn't the dog that is the problem. The owners are the problem by not abiding by the law and ignoring the signs. But people are always quick to blame the dog in these situations. Which makes me mad.
    I would love to visit this place!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog/Pit Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    I think the signs are great! It isn't the dog that is the problem. The owners are the problem by not abiding by the law and ignoring the signs. But people are always quick to blame the dog in these situations. Which makes me mad.
    I would love to visit this place!
    Come to Boston, I'll take you there!
    I've Been Frosted