Thread: Constant Accidents EVERYWHERE

Constant Accidents EVERYWHERE

Hello!

I am new to this whole forum thing....so Ill start off by saying HI! My name is Kyla. I just got a Great Dane Puppy whose name is Nero.
    He is almost 3 months old and I am in the process of potty training him. I have never had a Dane before, so I am struggling a little bit with the "right/wrong" way to train a Dane that I have read about.
    I just started slowing switching his food (as per the vet) and put him on a probiotic (as per the vet) because he has had the run's for the last week. It goes off and on between soft/somewhat solid stools to runny/patty like ones. He still eats and drinks normal. Same energy levels but I am still concerned about his bodily functions.
    As of now he struggles to hold his bladder for more than two hours, which I know will get better as he gets older. I am trying to be patient with the potty training but the last three mornings I have cleaned up MASSIVE amounts of poop (Mostly diarrhea) all over the floor from during the night. A week ago I would wake up to a mess free house. I dont know why all of a sudden he cant get through the night.
    I dont want to kennel him, because our other dog doesn't get kenneled, not to mention my house is small and a giant kennel would not exactly be ideal.

I guess I am just looking for any tips/tricks anyone may have that I could try to keep the messes to a minimal...

I appreciate it.

Sounds like he is reacting to something in the new food! What is different in ingredients? What is the protein in the new stuff, and what if any grain? And I promise, this will not last forever!
    I've Been Frosted

He was on a regular dog food...Nutrisource. It is a good grain-free wholesome food. The vet told me to put him back on a puppy food. So I went down to our little Natural pet food store and get Orejin (spellcheck??) large breed puppy, which is supposed to be loaded with all sorts of good stuff for thier health and growth. Im at work so I dont know what the protein levels are like....it is also a grain-free blend though. I dont think it has had quite enough time to effect him as I just changed over to it a day ago so I am hoping it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by kyla-martin View Post
    He was on a regular dog food...Nutrisource. It is a good grain-free wholesome food. The vet told me to put him back on a puppy food. So I went down to our little Natural pet food store and get Orejin (spellcheck??) large breed puppy, which is supposed to be loaded with all sorts of good stuff for thier health and growth. Im at work so I dont know what the protein levels are like....it is also a grain-free blend though. I dont think it has had quite enough time to effect him as I just changed over to it a day ago so I am hoping it will help.
    Okay, are you doing the "mix old and new" to gradually make the switch/? Otherwise a sudden change in food can cause this ...
    I've Been Frosted

Has the puppy been dewormed? Intestinal parasites can cause the runs.

Holding it for 2 hours is great for this age! And in time that will improve. Keep to a routine and be sure to give a long walk and a play time in the evening before bed.