Thread: Rest in peace, sweet Dollie 3/31/17

Rest in peace, sweet Dollie 3/31/17

Dollie was my wife's VERY special rescued Golden Retriever- she was rescued from a pretty awful puppy mill in 2004, at about 3 years old. She'd had 3 litters of pups there and she was a mess - very spooked. not trusting at all. They told my wife she'd never be a 'normal Golden' - well, within 2 weeks, she was a normal Golden. Dollie was the sweetest, most loving pal anyone could ever ask for. When I came into the picture, Dollie checked me out thoroughly, she wasn't going to have ANYONE harm her Mom!! But eventually, she accepted me. And besides being a totally loyal, loving friend, Dollie has welcomed MANY caught ferals into the household, dogs and cats, over the years, too.
    Over the last 6-8 months, Dollie showed some muscle-mass loss in her rear legs, plus the usual arthritis and stiffness in her hips and rear legs- she's been on Dasuquin and Rimadyl for better movement. BUt as long as she was HAPPY and comfortable, we weren't going to do anything rash. We'd called the vet yesterday for an appointment early next week, but then later in the afternoon, Dollie was calling me to come pet her in the bedroom - so of course I did.....I lay down on the floor, petting her head with one hand and scritching her under the chin with the other hand, the way she loves that- and she just sat there with her eyes closed, smiling broadly, enjoying those pets- then she just stopped breathing. There wasn't a gasp or rattle or anything- she just stopped, the smile still on her sweet face.
    Dollie was my wife's best friend and companion for 13 years- she turned 16 back in January, and for a Golden, that's a LONG life.......thank you, Dollie, for being SO WONDERFUL to me and my wife for all those years. We're gonna miss you something AWFUL- but I, for one, and BLESSED that I knew you and had the opportunity to love you for many years..... thank you, and enjoy running and playing at the Rainbow Bridge, no more arthritis or aches or pains, just happiness for a wonderful Golden...
    "If they could cross Man with the cat, it would improve
    Man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Rest in peace, dear lady. You proved everyone wrong, and that a good dog can overcome a bad start. Bless you for all the love shared and golden hairs shed over the years. Your legacy will continue on forever/

Our condolences, bowlkat.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you for sharing Dollie's story.
    Do you have a picture to share?

I'm very sorry for your loss of Dollie.

Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy.Lacey.Angel.Missy

I'm so sorry...

My heartfelt condolences on the passing of your beautiful, beloved Dollie. I had to come back here 3 times before I was able to respond, the tears were falling so. God bless you and your wife for rescuing Dollie from her abusers those many years ago, assuring that from that day forward she would know nothing but unconditional love, a love she returned ten fold, despite having suffered so at the hand of a human. That's a Golden for you...always forgiving. Not long ago I had to say goodbye to my beloved Lab, Star. Like you, I was so incredibly blessed, having known her love and friendship for an amazing 16 years. Still, not even forever is long enough. But when the time comes, I can't imagine a more beautiful way to say goodbye to a beloved furkid than having her call me to her as she lay on her parent's bed, her daddy holding her close and stroking her lovingly as she peacefully took her final breath, leaving for the Rainbow Bridge with her heart filled with love, a smile on her face, knowing that one day in the distant future she and her family would be together again. What a very special girl your dear Dollie was, truly a Dog of a Lifetime. Run and play happily and healthy once more at the Rainbow Bridge, dear Dollie, until that happy day when you and your mom and dad are together again. And please, when you're up to it, we would love to see some photos of your beautiful Dollie.

(((HUGS)))
    Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

RIP in dear Dollie. My sympathies to your family. May wonderful memories of your times together carry them through this difficult time and always.

Rest in peace, dearest Dollie. What a beautiful tribute your dear bowlkat has written to you, and what a beautiful life full of love you spent with him and his wife. You are whole and healthy again at the Rainbow Bridge now, a glorious Angel watching over your dear family members and reminding them that love is eternal, you are together always, and you will welcome them Home, One Fine Day...

My deepest sympathy to you, bowlkat, and your wife and everyone who loves and misses and grieves dear Dollie. Thank you so much for giving Dollie this wonderful home and care and time together after that horrible, horrible puppy mill. God bless you all, and God bless Dollie.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (19482015), Sourcery