Thread: Do cats "chase" their tails?

Do cats "chase" their tails?

For the second time now I've observed Diego "chasing" his tail. He was sitting peacefully on his favourite chair when suddenly he was flipping around, doing circles going after something. To my surprise it was his tail! I could see it taunting him. Hilarious. But is this normal?
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali and Diego (nine year old kittens)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross)

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Halo used to do it all the time. Round and round and round until she was panting with exhaustion.
    Every now and then she'd notice her own tail out of the corner of her eye and turn on it and attack! Silly girl. She only lived 8 years, so I'm not sure she would have ever grown out of this silliness.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life. And it cost Halo hers. Ask your vet about Polycystic kidney disease ~~ Rest in peace Willy
    Loved by Lisa

Yes, it's normal. 3 of my kitties do it regularly. When Olive catches it, she falls over and starts cleaning it.
    The other two, Clover and Mindy, usually don't catch their tails, but they sure try. They are all little clowns.
    cats4ever

Olive found an easy way to catch that pesky tail. Contained in a box it can't get away from her:

Name:  DSCN5372.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  725.1 KB
    cats4ever

Thank you for your replies. Olive, you're a silly girl! ❤

Glad to know Diego is not an anomaly.

I picked up food for Cali at the vets and neither girl had ever heard of such a thing.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali and Diego (nine year old kittens)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross)

Blog Entries
    My cat Lily does it when she is bored too, any excuse to play!

7. Kitty is a natural hunter. The instinct to chase begins when he's just a tiny kitten. Even if he never learns to hunt for food, he'll still have the desire to chase down anything that moves. His mom will teach him how to properly chase, capture and kill his prey so he can be a successful hunter when he grows up. If Kitty has ever brought you his kill, whether it's a real mouse or simply his favorite toy, this is him trying to show you how to hunt. He may never have to use the skills he learns to feed himself, since strolling to the food bowl isn't exactly a dangerous hunt.