Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another scam

I'm not sure about the laws about recording in New Jersey; in New York they're weird: if one person knows a recording is made, then it's legal. Well the person doing the recording knows, so is it automatically legal? I guess this is why I'm a chemist and not a lawyer..
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    I'm not sure about the laws about recording in New Jersey; in New York they're weird: if one person knows a recording is made, then it's legal. Well the person doing the recording knows, so is it automatically legal? I guess this is why I'm a chemist and not a lawyer..
    I'm not going to record the actual call. If a call comes in on my phone with that number I'm going to write down the date and time for documentation should it be needed at some future time. I'm a retired paralegal and know to let the police handle any recording of an actual call. When the police were here they told me not to answer any incoming number I don't know, if the call is legitimate they'll leave a vm.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Since I'm on both my states and the national no call list it really irks me to get calls from people I don't know! If a call comes in on my caller ID from a number I don't know I ignore it. On the rare occasion I pick it up, I just hang up when they start their speech. To heck with manners in those cases. They are invading my privacy!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And for yet another scam/spam, I've won the Liberian lottery.

The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I just got this phone call, or series of phone calls.. Three or four attempts in which the sound was so garbled I had to ask the person to call me from a different phone. (Since I work as a cat-sitter, I sometimes get calls from people I haven't heard from before but who are looking for a sitter, so I want to hear enough of what they have to say to tell if that's the case.)

Well, the guy just called me from a different phone, and this time his voice was much clearer. His accent was difficult to place and I couldn't tell what country it was from, definitely not anywhere in the Americas.. but the University does get many foreign students so he could have been a potential customer. Anyway, he starts out asking if I have a computer and then saying many computers are being infected with... I said, "I DON'T think so, and don't call me again," and hung up. Darn, I didn't have the police whistle handy!

What fun!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    "Cats," he said eventually. "Cats are nice."

-- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

I get calls all the time and I'm on the do-not-call list. If there are many calls from the same number I google them, then if they're clearly not a charity or political entity, I file a complaint with the FTC. This does have deterrent value in that I don't get calls from that number anymore. Filing a complaint isn't too hard.

I'm going to share a technique that was shared with me by a former colleague. The instant thta scammers begin their pitch just say "Sorry, I don't have a phone". This generally totally floors them and as they try to grasp the illogic you just hang up. Works.

Quote Originally Posted by Litterati View Post
    I'm going to share a technique that was shared with me by a former colleague. The instant thta scammers begin their pitch just say "Sorry, I don't have a phone". This generally totally floors them and as they try to grasp the illogic you just hang up. Works.
    I LOVE this! What a great idea!!! Do you mind if I share it with my friends?
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

There is a do-not-call list in Canada and some companies get around that by basing their calls out of the USA. So maybe people in the US are getting scam calls from companies that base their calls in Canada. It's a plot!

However, a number of call centres are in Pakistan and other non-North American companies which means the laws don't apply to them...
    "I like physics, but I love cartoons." -- Stephen Hawking

I got the fake summons last Friday.

Friday night I got ten (!!) calls from the same number. There kept being no one on the end of the line. Well my husband caught them and chewed them out royally! I also filed a formal complaint on ftc.gov. I must get 100s of these showing up on my call log. I can't imagine if I WEREN'T on the do-not-call list.